Foljambe, family of Osberton
This page summarises records created by this Family
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
The Foljambe family had knightly status in Derbyshire by the 13th century, and by 1500 also owned land in Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire. The Aldwarke (Yorkshire, West Riding) estate was acquired through the marriage of Sir James Foljambe (d. 1558) to Alice Fitzwilliam. Sir Francis Foljambe (d. 1640) sold the Walton (Derbyshire) and other estates, but Aldwarke and some remaining Derbyshire property passed on his death to his cousin Peter Foljambe of Steeton (Yorkshire, West Riding) (1599-1699), whose son Francis (d. 1707) married Elizabeth Montaigne of Westow (Yorkshire, East Riding).
Francis Ferrand Foljambe of Aldwarke (1750-1814) married in 1774 Mary (d. 1790), daughter and heiress of John Hewett (formerly Thornhagh), through whom descended the Thornhagh estates of Osberton (Nottinghamshire), South Kelsey (Lincolnshire), Skeffington (Leicestershire) and Arley (Warwickshire), and the Hewett estate of Shireoaks (Nottinghamshire). Osberton became the Foljambe family's principal seat, but the other Thornhagh estates were sold in the early 19th century. F.F. Foljambe also inherited Newtown Savile (Co. Tyrone) from his wife's uncle, Sir George Savile, 8th bt. (1726-84), but that estate was sold in 1806-11. In 1792 Foljambe married as his second wife Mary, daughter of the 4th Earl of Scarborough by Barbara Savile.
George Savile Foljambe (1800-69) married as his second wife Selina Charlotte, Viscountess Milton, daughter and co-heir of the 3rd and last Earl of Liverpool of the first creation. Their eldest son by this marriage inherited property from his mother, and was created Earl of Liverpool in 1915, but this property did not descend with the Osberton estates.
Estates in 1883: 9,289 acres in Nottinghamshire; 5,206 acres in Yorkshire and 3 acres in Lincolnshire, worth a total of £20,140 a year.
|Sources of authority:||Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Principal family and estate collections A-K, 1996, p. 63.|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/F89124 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F1270 )|
Sharing will require cookies. Show details
Kew, Richmond, Surrey,
Standard opening times
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0,
except where otherwise stated