Browse by Records Creators

Westmoreland Road Presbyterian Church, Newcastle

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Alternative name(s):
  • Clavering Place Presbyterian Chapel (Formerly known as)
Date: 1801 - 1966
History: This church was formerly known as Clavering Place Presbyterian Chapel. It was formed from a secession from the Close Presbyterian Chapel in 1801. Its first place of worship was the Carpenter's Tower near Sallyport then it moved to the Postern. This building proved to be unsuitable and so a house was bought in Clavering Place for £1100. This opened for worship on 21 March 1813. The building was reconstructed and enlarged in 1822. In 1869 the congregation decided to build a new church in another district. The site acquired was at the corner of Maple Street and Westmoreland Road. The new church was opened on 10 May 1872. The church closed in 1966 when some of the congregation joined Arthur's Hill Presbyterian Church and others the Robert Stewart Memorial Church.
Places:
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
Functions, occupations and activities: Christian denominations > Presbyterians
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C233856
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1802 - 1966: minutes, birth and baptism register, communion roll books, attendance and sickness registers, accounts
Tyne and Wear Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details