Lloyd-Mostyn, family, Barons Mostyn
This page summarises records created by this Family
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
Ieuan Fychan (d. 1457) of Pengwern (Denbighshire) and Tre Castell (Anglesey) acquired lands in Mostyn (Flintshire) through marriage to Angharad, daughter and heir of Hywel of Mostyn. Gloddaeth (Carnarvonshire) was brought by marriage shortly before 1460. The Mostyn surname was adopted by Thomas ap Richard ap Hywel (d. 1558) and by his brother Peter, ancestor of the Mostyn baronets of Talacre. The Mostyns of Mostyn were created baronets in 1660. Beeston and Peckforton (Cheshire), and the former estates of the Hough and Whitmore families in Leighton, Great Neston and Thornton Hough (Cheshire), came with the marriage of Bridget, daughter and heir of D'Arcy Savage, to Sir Thomas Mostyn, 2nd Bt (1651-92). The bulk of the Mostyns' Anglesey property was disposed of c. 1732, but the marriage in 1766 of the 5th Bt to Margaret, daughter and heir of Dr Hugh Wynn, brought further estates at Berth Ddu (Denbighshire) and Bodysgallen (Carnarvonshire), as well as the former Lloyd estate of Bodidris (Denbighshire) and the Vaughan estate of Corsygedol (Merionethshire).
Following the death in 1831 of the 6th Bt, his brother-in-law Sir Edward Pryce Lloyd, 2nd Bt, of Pengwern (Flintshire) and Bodfach (Montgomeryshire), was created Baron Mostyn. The latter's son Edward Mostyn Lloyd inherited his uncle's estates, took the additional surname Mostyn and succeeded to the title in 1854. Beeston (Cheshire) was sold to John Tollemache in 1840, and the Mostyn Estates Act of 1842 was followed by substantial sales of land in Carnarvonshire, Cheshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Merionethshire and Montgomeryshire. Mostyn and Gloddaeth were retained, as were the family’s mining interests and its involvement in the development of Llandudno (Carnarvonshire).
Estates in 1883: Flintshire 5,462 acres, Carnarvonshire 2,025 acres, Denbighshire 292 acres total 7,779 acres worth £14,752 a year.
|Sources of authority:||Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Principal family and estate collections L-Z, 1999|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/F87376 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F10827 )|
Sharing will require cookies. Show details
Kew, Richmond, Surrey,
Standard opening times
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0,
except where otherwise stated