Browse by Records Creators

Gloucester Borough Coroner

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1642-1974
History: The Gloucester Borough Divison was established by Act of Parliament in 1844; prior to this date the Boroughs of Gloucester and Tewkesbury had their own coroners. The Gloucester Borough Division perpetuated this tradition and covered just the city of Gloucester. It was abolished in 1974 and added to the West Gloucestershire Division, which had been established in 1966 and covers the west of the county, roughly from Chaceley, Churchdown, Standish and Frocester west to the border with Monmouthshire and Herefordshire, and the division was renamed the Gloucester Division. Maps showing the areas of the various divisions can be found in the published 'Handlist to the Contents of Gloucestershire Record Office', available in the public searchroom at Gloucestershire Archives.
Places:
  • Gloucester, Gloucestershire
Sources of authority: Handlist of the contents of the Gloucestershire Record Office, 4th edn., 1998.
Functions, occupations and activities: Government (local) > Coroner
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C202986
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1642-1660: inquisitions
Gloucestershire Archives
2
1921-1974: inquest files; correspondence and registers of deaths
Gloucestershire Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details