Browse by Records Creators

Forest of Dean Division Coroner

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1844-1966
History: The Forest of Dean Division was established by Act of Parliament in 1844; prior to this date there were four coroners covering the county but no defined districts, although the Quarter Sessions paid travel expenses and this tended to limit each coroner to a certain area. The Forest of Dean Division covered the west of the county, roughly from Chaceley, Churchdown, Standish and Frocester west to the border with Monmouthshire and Herefordshire, except the borough of Tewkesbury and city of Gloucester, which had their own Divisions. It was abolished in 1966 and replaced by the West Gloucestershire Division, which covered the same area, including the borough of Tewkesbury and, from 1974, the city of Gloucester; at that point it was renamed the Gloucester Division. Maps showing the areas of the various divisions can be found in the published 'Handlist to the Contents of Gloucestershire Record Office', available in the public searchroom at Gloucestershire Archives and at The National Archives.
Places:
  • Gloucestershire
Sources of authority: Handlist of the contents of the Gloucestershire Record Office, 4th edn., 1998.
Functions, occupations and activities: Government (local) > Coroner
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C202985
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1868-1966: register of inquests 1868-1871; minutes of inquests 1868-1942; inquest files 1960-1966
Gloucestershire Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details