Browse by Records Creators

Gloucestershire Upper Division Coroner

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1917-1966
History: The Upper Division was established by Act of Parliament in 1844; prior to this date there were four coroners covering the county but no defined districts, although the Quarter Sessions paid travel expenses and this tended to limit each coroner to a certain area. The Upper Division covered the north of the Cotswolds area, roughly from Ashchurch, Boddington and Badgeworth east to the border with Oxfordshire. It was abolished in 1966 and replaced by the Cotswolds Division, which covers the entire Cotswolds area, from Ashchurch in the north to Westonbirt in the south and eastwards to the border with Oxfordshire; the Cotswolds Division was renamed the Cheltenham Division in 1974. Maps showing the areas of the various divisions can be found in the published 'Handlist to the Contents of Gloucestershire Record Office', available in the public searchroom at Gloucestershire Archives and at The National Archives.
Places:
  • Gloucestershire
Sources of authority: Handlist of the contents of the Gloucestershire Record Office, 4th edn., 1998
Functions, occupations and activities: Government (local) > Coroner
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C202984
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1917-1966: inquest files, registers of deaths, daily record books and correspondence
Gloucestershire Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details