Browse by Records Creators

Derby Street Methodist Church, Newcastle upon Tyne

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1862-1965
History: The origins of this society lie in Arthur's Hill Primitive Methodist Church (located on William Street), which appears to have established a Sunday School branch in Derby Street in 1859. A site for a new church was acquired in 1876 and in 1882 Derby Street Primitive Methodist Church was erected with accommodation for 300 people in the chapel and 200 in the schoolroom. The church was located at the junction of Hamilton Street and Derby Street and celebrated its jubilee in 1932. It closed in 1965. The Church belonged to Newcastle 1st Primitive Methodist Circuit. In 1934 it joined the newly created Central and Sandyford Methodist Circuit.
Places:
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
Functions, occupations and activities: Christian denominations > Methodists
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C197999
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1862-1965: registers of baptism, minutes of meetings, accounts, papers, programmes of anniversary services, registers and papers rel sunday school
Tyne and Wear Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details