Hay, family, Marquesses of Tweeddale
This page summarises records created by this Family
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
Sir Gilbert Hay of Locherworth (Midlothian) acquired lands in Peeblesshire (Lyne, West Hopprew etc.) by marriage with Mary, daughter of Sir Simon Fraser of Oliver Castle (Peeblesshire) early in the 14th century. Together with the hereditary sheriffdom of Peeblesshire, these were held until 1686 when the office and estates were sold to the 1st Duke of Queensberry.
In the late 14th century, Sir Thomas Hay married Joanna, co-heir of Hugh Gifford of Yester (East Lothian), thereby gaining part of the substantial Gifford estates which had been built up since the 12th century. Yester became the family seat in the 15th century, when much of the Midlothian estate was sold. Belton (East Lothian) and Snaid (Dumfriesshire) came into the family through the marriage of the 1st Lord Hay (so created 1488) with the heiress of Sir William Cunningham; but Snaid was apparently alienated by the 18th century, as were properties in Clackmannanshire, Lanarkshire (Thankerton etc.) and Perthshire (Achmore, Rodono etc.) also possessed since the Middle Ages, while Belton passed to a junior branch of the Hay family. Dunfermeline (Fife) and Fyvie (Aberdeenshire) were granted as security for debts by the 2nd Earl of Dunfermeline in 1646 and retained by the 1st Marquess of Tweeddale (so created 1694) when the 4th Earl of Dunfermeline was outlawed in 1690, though Fyvie was sold subsequently.
The 6th Marquess (d. 1787) bought Newhall (East Lothian) from the creditors of his cousin John Hay, father of the 5th Marquess, and inherited Linplum (East Lothian) on the death in 1760 of his brother, Lord Charles Hay. Newhall, however, was bequeathed to a cousin, Edward Hay-Mackenzie, while Linplum passed by entail to Robert Hay of Drummelzier (Peeblesshire). The 6th and later Marquesses extended the family's estates by purchase in Berwickshire and Roxburghshire (Kirk Yetholm etc.). A residence in Kent (Walden Cottage, Chislehurst) was added by the 19th century, possibly by the 9th Marquess.
Estates in 1883: 20,486 acres in East Lothian; 18,116 acres in Berwickshire; 4,505 acres in Roxburghshire; 400 acres in Fife and 10 acres in Kent; worth a total of £26,530 a year, exclusive of mines worth £815 a year.
|Sources of authority:||Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Principal family and estate collections A-K, 1996, p. 76.|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/F85824 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F8197 )|
Sharing will require cookies. Show details
Kew, Richmond, Surrey,
Standard opening times
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0,
except where otherwise stated