Wynn, Williams family, baronets, of Wynnstay
This page summarises records created by this Family
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
Sir William Williams (1634-1700), son and heir of Hugh Williams of Nantanog, Llantrisant (Anglesey), was Speaker of the House of Commons and Solicitor-General, and was created a baronet in 1688. He added to his Anglesey inheritance by purchasing Llanforda (Shropshire) from Edward Lloyd and Glantanat (Denbighshire) from Edward Thelwall, and by acquiring Glascoed (Denbighshire) through marriage to Margaret, daughter and co-heir of Watkin Kyffin (d. 1670). The Shropshire and Denbighshire estates descended to his son the 2nd Bt (d. 1740), who had acquired Plas-y-Ward (Denbighshire) through marriage to Jane, daughter and heir of Edward Thelwall. The property in Angelsey and at Bodelwyddan (Flintshire) was settled on a second son, John Williams of Chester, from whom descended the Williams baronets of Bodelwyddan.
Sir Watkin Williams, 3rd Bt (1692-1749), succeeded by will to the estates of Sir John Wynn, 5th Bt (d. 1719), whose father was a younger son of Sir John Wynn, 1st Bt, of Gwydir (d. 1627). Wynn (on whose death the baronetcy expired) had succeeded his cousin the 4th Bt, but the main Gwydir estates had passed to the 4th Bt's daughter and her husband the 1st Duke of Ancaster (see Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby, Earls of Ancaster). Wynn did, however, inherit some property from his father Henry Wynn and other members of the Wynn family, including Maenan (Carnarvonshire), Glasinfryn (Anglesey and Carnarvonshire) and Eglwysfach (Denbighshire). Other acquisitions by Wynn included the manors of Valle Crucis and Wrexham Abbot (Denbighshire), while Rhiwgoch (Merionethshire), his mother's inheritance, was settled on him at his marriage. He also purchased property in Shropshire, including the manors of Stanwardine and Much Wenlock, and came into possession of Watstay (Denbighshire) through marriage to Jane, daughter and heir of Eyton Evans. When Sir Watkin Williams inherited Sir John Wynn's estates he renamed this seat Wynnstay and assumed the additional name of Wynn.
The marriage of the 3rd Bt to Anne (d. 1748), daughter and heir of Edward Vaughan, brought the Vaughan estates of Llwydiarth (Montgomeryshire), Llangedwyn (Denbighshire) and Glan-y-llyn (Merionethshire), and the former Purcell manor of Talerddig (Montgomeryshire). Further property, including the lordship of Cyfeiliog (Montgomeryshire), was purchased during the minority of the 4th Bt. In 1857 Maenan (Carnarvonshire) was sold, and extensive purchases of Crown lands in Denbighshire were made.
Estates in 1883: Montgomeryshire 70,559 acres, Merionethshire 42,044 acres, Denbighshire 28,721 acres, Cardiganshire 361 acres, Flintshire 224 acres, Salop 3,856 acres, Cheshire 5 acres, total 145,770 acres worth £54,575 a year.
|Sources of authority:||Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Guide to Principal Estate and Family Collections L-W, 1999.|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/F85704 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F8992 )|
Sharing will require cookies. Show details