Co-operative Printing Society Ltd, printers
This page summarises records created by this Business
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
|History:||The North of England Co-operative Printing Society was established in Manchester in 1869, with the Newcastle branch established in 1872. A third branch was established in London in 1886. The first Newcastle printing works was in High Bridge, but in 1895 it moved to purpose-built premises at the corner of Rutherford Street and Bath Lane. In the same year the Co-operative Wholesale Society established a printing department of its own, and while there was discussion of the CWS taking over the Printing Society this did not happen. The CWS established a printing works at Pelaw in 1902, mainly to print items such as packaging labels for its own products. The Co-operative Printing Society appears to have become part of Co-operative Press Ltd, with the Newcastle works closing in the 1980s.|
|Functions, occupations and activities:||Paper, printing and packaging > Printing and engraving|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/C122768 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/B1002 )|