Browse by Records Creators

Brunton & North Shields Railway

This page summarises records created by this Business

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Alternative name(s):
  • Brunton and Shields Railway (Also known as)
  • Seaton Burn Waggonway (Later known as)
Date: 1829-1864
History: The Brunton and Shields Railway opened in 1826 and ran from a number of mines to staiths on the Tyne at North Shields. It was originally horse-drawn with balanced inclines whereby empty waggons were pulled up a slope by full waggons running down, but became one of the first railways to use a stationary steam engine developed by its resident engineer Benjamin Thompson. Locomotives were later introduced and in 1878 the railway became known as the Seaton Burn Waggonway. Part of the route now forms part of North Tyneside's network of waggonway paths.
Places:
  • Brunton, Northumberland
Functions, occupations and activities: Transport and communications > Railways
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C121188 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/B11018 )
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1829-1864: corresp, estimates, reports, statements
Tyne and Wear Archives
See Accessions to repositories 1975

Sharing will require cookies. Show details