Vyner, family of Newby
This page summarises records created by this Family
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
The Vyner family was settled in Gloucestershire in the early 16th century. Sir Robert Vyner (1631-88), third son of William Vyner of Eathorpe (Warwickshire) and an eminent London goldsmith, was created a baronet in 1666 and was Lord Mayor in 1675. He bought estates in Lincolnshire, Cheshire, Leicestershire and London, which descended to his nephew Thomas. The Leicestershire and London estates were later sold, but the Gautby (Lincolnshire) and Bidston (Cheshire) estates were retained until the 20th century.
Henry Vyner (1805-61), younger brother of Robert Vyner of Gautby (1789-1872), married in 1832 Mary, daughter of Thomas Robinson, 3rd Baron Grantham and 2nd Earl De Grey (see Robinson, Marquesses of Ripon). On the death of Lord De Grey in 1859 Lady Mary Vyner inherited the Robinson property of Askrigg (Yorkshire, North Riding), together with a half-interest in the Clifton estate near York (North Riding). She also inherited Yorkshire properties that had come to the Robinsons from the Weddell family of Newby Hall, principally the Newby (West Riding) estate but including Huntington (North Riding), Leppington and Barthorpe (East Riding), and a small part of the Craven (Wigglesworth, etc) estate in the West Riding. (For the major portion of the Craven estate and the other half-share in the Clifton estate see Cowper, Earls Cowper.)
In 1872 Henry Frederick Clare Vyner (1836-83), son of Henry and Lady Mary Vyner, inherited the Vyner estates from his uncle Robert. Gautby was demolished, and Newby Hall became the principal Vyner seat. H.F.C. Vyner was succeeded by his brother Robert Charles de Grey Vyner (1842-1915), and he in turn by his daughter Mary Evelyn, who in 1886 had married Lord Alwyne Compton, third son of the 4th Marquess of Northampton (see Compton, Marquesses of Northampton). The Lincolnshire and Clifton estates were sold in 1918-20.
Lord Alwyne Compton, later Compton-Vyner, had inherited the Torloisk (Mull, Argyllshire) and Kirkness (Kinross-shire) estates from his father in 1897. In the 20th century they appear to have passed to his eldest grandson Alwyne Compton, who in 1945 took the name of Farquharson on succeeding to his mother's Invercauld (Aberdeenshire) estate, whilst his younger brother Robert Compton succeeded to Newby.
Estates in 1883: HFC Vyner: Lincs 14,443 acres, Yorks WR and NR 9,039 acres, Cheshire 3,223 acres, total 26,705 acres worth £37,693 a year; Cowper and Vyner: Yorks NR 496 acres (the Clifton estate) worth £2,198 a year; Marquess of Northampton: Argyllshire 8,000 acres, Kinross-shire 864 acres, total 8,864 acres worth £2,465 a year.
|Sources of authority:||Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Guide to Principal Estate and Family Collections L-W, 1999.|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/F82618 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F10776 )|
Sharing will require cookies. Show details
Sign me up to the mailing list
Subscribe now for regular news, updates and priority booking for events
Kew, Richmond, Surrey,
TW9 4DU Tel: +44 (0) 20 8876 3444
Standard opening times
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0,
except where otherwise stated