Campbell family, Earls Cawdor
This page summarises records created by this Family
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.
On the death in 1498 of John, 8th thane of Cawdor (or Calder), Cawdor Castle and estates in Nairnshire and Inverness-shire passed by marriage to a younger branch of the Campbell family, Earls of Argyll. Estates in Argyllshire, including the island of Islay, were acquired in the lifetime of Sir John Campbell (d. 1642) but sold in the 1720s.
The Stackpole Court (Pembrokeshire) estate was acquired through the marriage of Sir Alexander Campbell of Cawdor to Elizabeth Lort in 1689. Their son John Campbell married in 1726 Mary, daughter and co-heir of Lewis Pryse of Gogerddan (Cardiganshire). The Golden Grove (Carmarthenshire) estate was bequeathed to the 1st Baron Cawdor by John Vaughan in 1805. Further South Wales property was purchased by the 1st Earl, and the family's principal seat remained Stackpole Court until the early 20th century, when it reverted to Cawdor Castle.
Estates in 1883: 46,176 acres in Nairnshire; 3,943 acres in Inverness-shire; 33,782 acres in Carmarthenshire; 17,735 acres in Pembrokeshire and 21 acres in Cardiganshire, worth a total of £44,662 a year.
|Sources of authority:||Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Principal family and estate collections, 1996, p. 22.|
|Name authority reference:||GB/NNAF/F81927 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/F8388 )|