Browse by Records Creators

Central Methodist Church, Newcastle upon Tyne

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1897-1981
History: The origins of this Church lie in the first Primitive Methodist society in Newcastle, founded in 1822. The society briefly worshipped in the Butchers' Hall until 1824, when they moved to a former Presbyterian Chapel in Sallyport. Shortly afterwards they moved again to a chapel in Silver Street, previously occupied by an Independent congregation. The society remained there until 1838 when a new chapel was opened in Nelson Street. In 1897 the congregation moved to new premises in Northumberland Road, known as the Primitive Central Church. The Church closed in June 1978. It was part of Newcastle upon Tyne First Primitive Methodist circuit. In 1934, following Methodist Union, it became part of Sandyford and Central Methodist Circuit. In 1965 the Central and Sandford Circuit merged with Brunswick Methodist Circuit and the church became part of the resulting Brunswick Central Methodist Circuit.
Places:
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
Functions, occupations and activities: Christian denominations > Methodists
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C71582 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/O102758 )
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1897-1981: records incl registers of baptism and marriage, accounts, church newsletters, public notices, minutes
Tyne and Wear Archives
See Annual Return 2002

Sharing will require cookies. Show details