Browse by Records Creators

Tewkesbury Borough Coroner

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1733-1966
History: The Tewkesbury Borough Divison was established by Act of Parliament in 1844; prior to this date the Boroughs of Tewkesbury and Gloucester had their own coroners. The Tewkesbury Borough Division perpetuated this tradition and covered only the borough of Tewkesbury. It was abolished in 1966 and replaced by the West Gloucestershire Division, which covers the west of the county, roughly from Chaceley, Churchdown, Standish and Frocester west to the border with Monmouthshire and Herefordshire, including the borough of Tewkesbury and, from 1974, the city of Gloucester. Maps showing the areas of the various divisions can be found in the published 'Handlist to the Contents of Gloucestershire Record Office', available in the public searchroom at Gloucestershire Archives and at The National Archives.
Places:
  • Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
Sources of authority: Handlist of the contents of the Gloucestershire Record Office, 4th edn, 1998.
Functions, occupations and activities: Government (local) > Coroner
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C37209 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/O43508 )
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1733-1791: inquest files
Gloucestershire Archives
2
1890-1965: inquest files and statistical returns to Home Office
Gloucestershire Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details