Browse by Records Creators

Stroud Division Coroner

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Date: 1857-1966
History: The Stroud Division was established by Act of Parliament in 1844; prior to this date there were four coroners covering the county but no defined districts, although the Quarter Sessions paid travel expenses and this tended to limit each coroner to a certain area. A register of inquests kept by the first coroner for the Stroud Division, John G. Ball, begins in 1831 when he was appointed as one of the four county coroners. The Stroud Division covered the south of the Cotswolds area, roughly from Cranham, Painswick and Stonehouse east to the border with Oxfordshire. It was abolished in 1966 and replaced by the Cotswolds Division, which covers the entire Cotswolds area, roughly from Ashchurch in the north to Westonbirt in the south and eastwards to the border with Oxfordshire; the Cotswolds Division was renamed the Cheltenham Division in 1974. Maps showing the areas of the various divisions can be found in the published 'Handlist to the Contents of Gloucestershire Record Office', available in the public searchroom at Gloucestershire Archives and at The National Archives.
Places:
  • Stroud, Gloucestershire
Sources of authority: Handlist of the contents of the Gloucestershire Record Office, 4th edn., 1998.
Functions, occupations and activities: Government (local) > Coroner
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C31581 (Former ISAAR ref: GB/NNAF/O57214 )
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1857-1966: register of inquests, 1831-48; inquest files 1857-1966; and registers of deaths, 1844-48, 1881-1913
Gloucestershire Archives
NRA 37057 Stroud Coroner

Sharing will require cookies. Show details