FAMILY PAPERS OF HARRINGTON FAMILY OF KELSTON AND GRANT - DALTON FAMILY OF CUCKLINGTON
|Title:||FAMILY PAPERS OF HARRINGTON FAMILY OF KELSTON AND GRANT - DALTON FAMILY OF CUCKLINGTON|
Numbers 1-21 are a summary of a detailed calendar of the documents available at the Somerset Record Office, and the original calendar numbers are given in brackets at the end of each item.
The collection comprises records of the Harrington family of Kelston, near Bath, and relates largely to their Somerset manors of Kelston, Corston and St. Catherine, with the rectories of Corston and Weston. The treatment of this material (items 1-9) is generally chronological, with individual parishes itemized where possible and the relevant generation of the family indicated elsewhere. Items 10-17 are of a more personal nature, and valuable background information on the families concerned can be obtained from F.J. Poynton's History of Kelston (privately printed, 1878-85), a copy of which is available at the Record Office.
Among the out-county documents (items 18 and 19) it may be mentioned that no. 18 contains an exemplification of a final concord issued by Richard Cromwell during his short period as Lord Protector.
The relationship of the two final items to the remainder of the collection is tenuous, and they appear to be stray documents which have found their way into the hands of the Harringtons or their legal representatives.
Numbers 22-35 complement the Dalton family records purchased by the Somerset Record Office in August 1972, which are now catalogued as DD\S\WI 33-85. The descent of the Shanks House estate, originally owned by the Watts family and later by the Daltons, is traced down to modern times and the present list should be read in conjunction with the catalogue for DD\S\WI 33-85 (passim, but especially 33-35, 37-54, and 71-84). The majority of the Dorset estate, centred on Stour Prevost and Hinton St. Mary, came to the Dalton family by the marriage of Nathaniel Dalton of Cucklington and Mary Slade Yeatman, heiress of the Yeatman family estates, in 1779 (see DD\S\WI 53).
A new element here is the group of settlements and related documents for the Trelawny and Trevanion families, being introduced by the marriage of Dalton Foster Grant-Dalton and Alice Charlotte Trevanion in 1848. The London (Oxford Street and Soho Square) property was conveyed to trustees for sale on the marriage of Charlotte Trelawny-Brereton with J.C. Bettesworth Trevanion in 1827, but apparently remained in the family until after the death of Mrs Charlotte Trevanion in 1883, being finally auctioned in 1885.
The hyphenated form of surname, Grant-Dalton, is found in the more recent documents in the collection and has been used throughout this list in order to avoid confusion.
The numeration has been continued from the previous accession (C/1402).
|Date:||1547 - 1934|
|Held by:||Somerset Heritage Centre (South West Heritage Trust), not available at The National Archives|
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|