Bexley Borough Council and Predecessor Authorities
|Title:||Bexley Borough Council and Predecessor Authorities|
|Date:||1880 - 1975|
|Held by:||Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre, not available at The National Archives|
In 1819 the heath of the village of Bexley was enclosed by special act of Parliament. The main London to Dover road ran across the heath and as the century progressed a new town called Bexleyheath began to develop along its length. The town was still administered by Bexley Parish Vestry, but this arrangement proved unpopular with the people of Bexleyheath. In 1880 a solution was found by the creation of Bexley Local Board of Health, established under the Public Health Act 1875 to act as the sanitary authority for the whole Parish of Bexley. The Local Government Act 1894 created Bexley Urban District Council. This replaced the Local Board and took over the civil powers of the Parish Vestry. In 1902 the neighbouring Parish of East Wickham was absorbed into the Urban District.
In 1937 Bexley was granted a royal charter erecting the town into a Borough. The charter provided for a Mayor and Borough Council to take over the functions of the old Urban District Council, it also acquired a greater say in the running of local schools through a joint committee with Kent County Council.
Under the terms of the London Government Act 1963 the Borough of Bexley was abolished and from 1 January 1965 the town became part of the London Borough of Bexley.
|Link to NRA Record:|