WARE FAMILY OF TILFORD, FARNHAM
|Title:||WARE FAMILY OF TILFORD, FARNHAM|
Records of the Ware Family of Tilford, Farnham
RECORDS OF TILFORD HOUSE AND ESTATE, 1621-1962; AND DIARIES, LETTERS AND PERSONAL PAPERS OF THE REV THOMAS TAYLER (1735-1831), MARTIN WARE (1818-1895), CO-FOUNDER OF THE RAGGED BOY SHOEBLACK SOCIETY, AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY, 1773-1962
|Held by:||Surrey History Centre, not available at The National Archives|
The Tilford House Estate
The hamlet of Tilford lies south of Farnham, and was formerly in that parish, at the confluence of the northern and southern branches of the Wey. The farms were small, and most of the land very sandy. Anne Ware, née Tayler, expressed in 1859 a landowner's view of a romantic yet strikingly unproductive landscape (1487/84/1, p39).
Tilford is a wayward Beauty
Wounding those who love her most.
Labour on her as your duty,
But you'll find your labour lost -
Beauteous is the rural village
Rich the woods, and clear the stream
Bright the heather, smooth the herbage
Lordly the Oak upon the Green -
Yet the soil is poor and sterile
Ill repairs the culturer's care
Patches here and there are fertile
But the Heaths are wild and Rare -
Rock and sand and thorny Bushes
Will destroy the seed you sow
Disappoint your earnest wishes
Nothing there of good will grow -
Blessed Lord, reclaim the waste land
Send down thy refreshing rain
Then shall grass grow o'er the dry sand
And rich harvests glad the plain -
It was Anne who brought the Ware family to Tilford. Their estate and family papers comprise the bulk of this collection, with only a few records of earlier owners. Unfortunately not even all the early deeds of the estate are present. The conveyance to Miss Abney of the freehold parts of Chapel Farm (1775?; see 1487/4/4-8 and 1487/21/3) is missing, as is that of Tilford Cottage and some land formerly owned by Crawford Davison (1837?; see 1487/27 and 54). The greater part of the estate was, until well into the twentieth century, held as copyhold of the manor of Farnham.
No copies of court roll, apart from one (1487/1/16) survive before 1759, though there are a few, some apparently of property never part of the Tilford Estate, in the 1950 deposit. (The originals on the Bishop of Winchester's court roll of his manor of Farnham have not been examined.) These gaps in the documentation mean that the summary history of the estate that follows is necessarily tentative. Two early deeds lent for transcription in 1946 are not present (1487/68/14/3); they are described after 1487/1/2 and 1487/2/9, and transcripts exist (1487/68/14/6& 7).
When Martin Ware II died on 10 Oct 1872 his estate in Tilford contained 654 acres, of which 282 comprised the 'settled estate', 85 the 'unsettled' land (ie acquired since the death of Thomas Tayler) and 286 were 13 allotments under the Tilford Inclosure of 1853. This fairly compact geographical unit surrounding Tilford Green had been built up over the previous 200 years.
Most of the older part of the estate lay to the north of Tilford Green, west of the northern branch of the Wey. It included the freehold fields called Wenford or Wanford, close to Wanford, later Tilford, Mill Which had belonged to Waverley Abbey. These were tithe free, and the boundary of Waverley land is marked on the 1767 estate plan (1487/23/4). Among the copyholds were 'Bridgeland' at Tilford Green, so-called because the owner was responsible for the upkeep of a bridge (1487/6/7), and one yard of bondland called Elthams (1487/5/1), earlier Elvetham, Mead. Elvetham is a name that occurs in the bounds of Waverley. It appears that land north of Tilford, including the Wenford fields, which belonged in the second half of the 17th century to William Perrey, yeoman, and Robert Palmer, miller at Wenford Mill, came by marriage into the hands of Nicholas Turner of Farnham, mealman, and apparently a dissenter. (He died in 1713; his will is 1487/1/17)
His grandson John Turner was the builder of Tilford House, between 1725 (when he made his will, 1487/1/18) and 1731 (1487/1/19), very probably in 1727-8 since in 1728 he moved up to first place from almost the end of the list of people in Tilford assessed to the Farnham Poor Rate. The estate inherited by John Turner from his grandfather - 'all my houses and land, freehold and copyhold, in Tilford, Waverley, Frensham, Coldpitt land' - included more than was sold by his co-heirs in 1731 to Peter Green of Walthamstow, Essex (1487/1/19& 20).
After several mortgages (1487/3/1-7) Peter Green sold in 1761 to Elizabeth Abney of Stoke Newington, spinster, for £4,000 (1487/3/9). She also bought the contents of the house, and an inventory in 1760 shows that Peter Green had furnished it in style (1487/3/6 and 9). Miss Abney was the only surviving child of Sir Thomas Abney, Lord Mayor of London in 1700, and his second wife Mary Gunston. She was a noted nonconformist, and obtained a licence for nonconformists to worship in Tilford House (see below).
In a plan of the estate in 1767 (1487/23/4) made by George Cobbett and John Jarrett it then contained 185 acres. Miss Abney enlarged it by purchasing from Thomas Matchwick the 79 acre farm lying east of Tilford Green and later called Chapel Farm (19th cent.) or Bridge Farm (20th cent.) (1487/4/8 and 1487/21/3). This purchase united the part of the estate round Tilford Green with the Widmore and Charles Hill Moors further down the river towards Elstead. The mapmakers of 1767 made a plan of this additional farm in 1776 (1487/23/6). Miss Abney evidently also made improvements: a new pond between Abbots Pond and Stockbridge Pond was built (1487/4/10) and a new walk beside the coppices along the Wey is shown on the 1776 plan.
Elizabeth Abney's heir was the nonconformist Minister Thomas Tayler who had been her chaplain (see below). He seems to have lived at Tilford only in the early years after he acquired the estate (see below). He left his house and lands at Tilford, with another farm and cottages, to his daughter Anne, wife of Martin Ware, and her heirs (1487/5/3). The farms in Ash bought by Peter Green (1487/2/8& 11) were bequeathed by Thomas Tayler to his daughter Mary, and ceased to be part of the Tilford Estate. On Thomas Tayler's death in 1831 Dr Martin Ware II a 'surgeon oculist' and his family spend three summers in the house, but thereafter leased it, keeping Tilford Cottage for their own occasional use. An estate plan of 1835 (1487/23/9) covers 260 acres. The estate more than doubled in size during this Martin Ware's lifetime.
In addition to the 286 acres added by the 13 allotments of waste land made under the Tilford Inclosure, he bought from Crawford Davison in 1837 some fields which intruded into his own estate on the north west (1487/27) and in 1839 Malthouse and Bridgeland Farms (close to Tilford House) and Mayes and/or Mansell's Farm (1487/6/16). In 1851 he acquired Higher Reed and Hopground Reed, with a hop kiln (1487/8/12), a cottage near Abbot's Pond soon after (1487/9/4), and a cottage on Tilford Common in 1863 (1487/11/4, and plan 1487/23/12).
Under the testamentary division of Martin Ware's estate (1487/12) his eldest son James Tayler Ware became the owner of the Tilford Estate. On the death of J T Ware in 1902 his nephew the Rev Martin S Ware inherited. Between 1903 and 1946 many plots on the heathy land to the north and south of Tilford Green (parts of the Inclosure allotments) were sold for building (1487/20-38). In Sep 1949 the major part of the 'Tilford House Estate' of about 630 acres was put up for auction, including 'two useful dairy farms' (Tilford House Farm and Bridge Farm), an 'old world cottage residence' (Tilford Cottage), and fifteen other cottages, but excluding Tilford House (see 1384/15/2).
The builder - if it was indeed John Turner of Farnham, gentleman - had inherited from his grandfather money made in the flourishing Farnham corn trade described by Defoe. His father Stephen (who died before Nicholas Turner the grandfather) was a pewterer, and one of his sisters was married to William Paradice, goldsmith. Mrs Paradice was living at Tilford House in 1731 (rate book). A list of occupants of Tilford House from 1725 at the end of this section is derived from Farnham parish assessments books, Land Tax returns and letters and papers in this collection. The inventory of 1761 names the contents of the house, room by room. Plans of the three floors made about 1900 (1487/23/16) show the position of pieces of furniture at that time. Between these two dates bills for work give details of repairs carried out. The most important addition was that made by Miss Abney, when she built the chapel in the courtyard of the house. This was in 1776 (according to 1487/69/1 this date is cut into a brick). Extensive alterations took place in 1852 when the Ware family returned to live in the house (148755/-).
Correspondence surviving from 1835 includes letters from the occupiers of the house and there are many comments on life at Tilford. Dr Burden explained in 1836 that he must give up the tenancy because 'a somewhat liberal income' was needed for keeping house and land in good order, 'promoting the temporal and spiritual good of the Tilford poor', paying the expenses of both chapels, and 'maintaining the tone of good order and respectability which this house should ever give to the village'. 'I must maintain a consistent appearance, giving liberally, and acting as a gentleman is expected to act' (1487/26/5& 6).
Chapels at Tilford
In 1761 Elizabeth Abney obtained a licence from the Bishop of Winchester permitting a congregation of Independents to worship in her house. This congregation included several of the farmers at Tilford, among them William Maunsell and Henry Wheeler (1487/22).
The chapel built in 1776 in the courtyard of the house was for the same congregation. This chapel continued to be used by dissenters until about 1825 (1487/69/1) when the chapel on the green was built, in connection with the Surrey Mission, for congregational services (see plan in 1487/1/17).
According to one of his grandchildren Thomas Tayler was approached by Bishop Sumner soon after 1827 and agreed to allow Church of England services to take place in the chapel in the courtyard. The Reverend Frederick Stevens of Seale came to take the services. The same source (1487/69/1) states that:
'The services were at each chapel alternatively morning and afternoon. They did not clash because when the morning service was at the Chapel at the House, the afternoon service was at the Chapel on the Green and vice versa. Mr Emmett, the tenant of the Chapel Farm officiated as clerk at both places and set the tunes. Others attended both places as Mr Harris, the tenant of the farm next the house and his family - and the Stovolds of Till Hill. Mr and Mrs Nicholson of Waverley and their families attended at the Chapel in the Yard - though Mr and Mrs N were said to be Unitarians. She was the daughter of Mr Smith of Norwich a well known Unitarian.'
A plan shows the arrangement of the pews, altar and pulpit at this time, when the Wares first lived at Tilford. Repairs at both chapels were, as we have seen, the responsibility of the occupier of Tilford House (see for example, 1487/26/11). The chapel in the courtyard was apparently not used after 1842 (Ware papers in Tilford parish records, 1975/-), though the possibility of again using it, rather than building a new church, remained a matter of discussion until the 1860s. The Chapel on the Green continued in use, though not apparently continuously, until 1891 (1487/17/1 and Ware papers in Tilford parish records, 1975/-). The chapel site was then exchanged for the land on which, in 1893-4, Mrs Anderson of Waverley built Tilford Institute (see 1487/69/1).
The building of an Anglican church (or 'chapel') at Tilford had been proposed at least by 1846 (letter of G J Nicholson, 19 Apr 1846, in Ware papers in Tilford parish records, 1975/-). A site was set aside in the Tilford Inclosure (1487/33), subscriptions were being collected in 1865 (see 1975/-), and the church consecrated in 1867. A parsonage house and school soon followed, all heavily indebted to the Ware family. Curates serving the Anglican chapel in Tilford House had lived in Tilford Cottage.
Correspondence exchanged between the Wares and their managers, tenants and neighbours during the 19th century contains frequent references to the best way of farming the land (see for example 1487/30, 32, 40 and 46). There are also papers concerned with timber, including a complete list of all timber on the estate in 1836 (1487/25/2). The letters, together with valuations (1487/25) at various dates and bills for erecting or repairing buildings (1487/53-61) provide a detailed picture of this small estate under the Wares, particularly between 1835 and 1860. Even during the period when J T Ware was living at Tilford and himself involved in the day to day management of the estate, (apparently from c.1852-1884, see 1487/69/1) there appears to have been an agent or bailiff.
List of occupants of Tilford House, 1725-1752 and 1782-1919
Charlotte Smith, the author, is stated to have lived in the house during 1805-06. She perhaps stayed for too short a time to appear in these records. The information below is derived from Farnham parish assessment books for the tithing of Tilford (which are absent between 1753 and 1781), land tax returns, or documents in this collection, whose references are noted below.
1728-1730 Mr John Turner
1731 Mrs Paradice or tenant
1732-1752 Mr Peter Green
1782 Mrs Abney
1782-1783 Executors of Mrs Abney
1784-1789 Rev Mr Taylor [Tayler]
1789-1793 Captain Everett (or Thomas Everett Esq)
1794-1795 'The most noble the Marquis of Lothian'
1795-1798 Mrs Hamilton
1799-1805 Mrs Monro
1806-1807 Late Mrs Monro
1808-1812 Charles Forster Esq
1813-1821 Charles Davidson Esq [Crawford Davison?]
1822 Rev Mr Taylor ?
1825-1832 Crawford Davison Esq (1487/5/6)
1832-1834 Ware family (1487/108/2)
1834-1837 or 1838 Dr Thomas Burden (brother-in-law of Mrs Ware's sister) (1487/26)
1839-1848 Edward Franklyn, a Major in the Madras Army, and Mrs Franklyn (1487/24/4)
1849-1852 Mrs Fanny Crespigny Franklyn (1487/24/9)
1852-? Mr and Mrs Martin Ware (1487/24/11)
18??-1902 J T Ware
1902-1919 Rev M S Ware
The Tayler and Ware Families
Outline biographies of Thomas Tayler and certain members of the Ware family are given at the end of this introduction.
When the Reverend Thomas Tayler inherited the Tilford estate from Elizabeth Abney he was Minister of Carter Lane Presbyterian Church in London. He had trained at Dr Doddridge's Academy and became Miss Abney's personal chaplain in the late 1750s. Only two of the small number of Tayler's letters in the collection date from his time as chaplain, the majority being written to his daughters Anne and Mary between 1800 and 1813. The children were apparently staying with friends and relations during this time, as they had been sent away for their upbringing after the death of their mother in 1800 (1487/74/14).
In 1816 Anne Tayler married Martin Ware, the son of the eminent oculist James Ware FRS of New Bridge Street, London. Most of the male members of the Ware family were professional people, Anne's husband Martin being a surgeon oculist who had a joint medical practice with his brother John. Two of Martin's other brothers were clergymen and the third was a merchant (1487/69/2). All but one of Anne's children entered a profession. Very little detail of their professional activities, however, can be gained from the personal letters, papers and diaries in the collection. The one notable exception is James Ware FRS who kept journals while he was a medical student in London in the 1770s. In these he gives details of lectures and operations attended, the payments for parts of bodies for dissection and his activities as a working pupil at St Thomas's Hospital, 1775-1777. There is also a statement of his income from his partnership with Jonathan Wathen between 1778 and 1789 (1487/80/1). James's journals also give details of his social life while a medical student in late 18th century London, including trips to the theatre, and disputing houses, and taking tea with friends (1487/103/1-2).
An impression of the private life of Anne and her husband, and of her son Martin III and his wife Mary, can be gained from their letters and diaries and those of their children. The letters from Anne Ware to her son Martin III for the period 1831-1841 (1487/85/4-40) and Martin III and Mary Ware's memoirs (1487/106 and 107/2) are especially useful.
It is evident from material in the collection and from their involvement with Christian and philanthropic societies that both the Tayler and Ware families were devoutly Christian. Reverend Thomas Tayler and his daughter Anne were dissenters but it does not seem that the Wares were of one particular denomination.
In his journals, James Ware FRS mentions going to several types of churches and of his children, two were Anglican clergymen and his son Martin married a dissenter (Anne Tayler) and had at least one of his children baptised by a dissenting minister (Martin III). The later Wares including Martin III seemed mainly to attend Anglican churches but as has been said denominational loyalty was not strictly adhered to when at Tilford. Their commitment to their Christian principles is especially to be seen in the papers of Thomas Tayler, his daughter Anne and Martin Ware II and III. It is most obvious, perhaps, in those letters giving instruction on conduct to their children (eg 1487/74/14, 1487/83/1, 1487/85/1-3, 1487/90/24) and in the spiritual reflections of Martin II (1487/104-105).
It seems that most of the members of the Ware family who are represented in the collection were involved to some extent in philanthropic work. The outline biographies list some of their connections with charitable societies but little further detail of their activities is available from the collection. The memoirs of Martin III, however, do give some idea of his Social Sciences Association and the British and Foreign Bible Society (1487/106).
The collection contains a number of letters sent to Martin Ware and others by former ragged boys, who had been helped by Ware (1487/119-177). Some of them were by then serving in the forces or the Marine Society and others had emigrated. Martin III began working in Ragged Schools in 1846 when he joined the committee of the school in Compton Place, (later Brunswick Buildings), Brunswick Square, London. He later became Superintendent of the Sunday School there.
Two of his brothers were also involved. Charles worked at the St Giles School and Joseph helped out while he was at Russell Square. In 1849 Martin was asked to join the committee of the Ragged School Union and remained a member until his marriage in 1867. Ware mentions in his memoirs that he visited many of the parents of the children in the school and that he helped some of the juvenile criminals into the Navy and Industrial Schools (1487/106/1). No details are given in the memoirs but he kept a journal of his activities at Compton Place School and among the families living in the King's Cross and Cromer Street area, which included a number of Irish immigrants. (See 1585/- for the surviving volumes of this journal).
His chief aim in helping the children appears to have been to get them into steady employment and it was for this reason that the Ragged School Shoe Black Society (RSSBS) was formed by Ware, John MacGregor and others in 1851. Boys were sent by the schools to the Society's offices in Off Alley, off the Strand, and if they were accepted they were sent out to black shoes in the streets of London. The boys were allowed to keep part of their earnings, and the rest went into their 'Bank' and was used to support the Society. (See 'The Story of the Shoeblack Brigade' by John MacGregor in Home Words Jan 1882). Boys were also entered in the Marine Society, the forces or given places in Industrial Schools where they were employed in wood chopping, or shoeblacking in gentlemen's houses. Ware and his friend J H Fordham [grandson of Sir John Gurney] assisted in establishing an industrial school in Britannia Street, this later had a dormitory where homeless boys could lodge. The school later moved to Grays Inn Road and was eventually amalgamated with the Working Boys Home in Kensington.
Emigration seems to have been a last resort for relief. The money for the emigrant's passage, clothes and often their indentures was apparently supplied by individuals or the Ragged School Union and appears to have been given only to the most destitute but this may not have been so in every case. Some emigrants seemed to make new lives in the colonies, such as Michael Murphy (1487/145) and the Restieux family (1487/153-156) but others returned after a short time. It is not always possible to follow the lives of the letter writers closely as there are gaps in the journal and it ends in 1867. Those details that are available have been summarised in the list.
Outline biographies of Reverend Thomas Tayler and members of the Ware family.
Only biographies of certain members of the Ware family are given. The biographies have been compiled from items in the collection and a number of reference works. They are not exhaustive and it has not been possible to check the details. The list of sources used is given below and the information taken from them is indicated by the relevant number in brackets after a statement or series of statements in the text.
(1) Notebook of Henry Ware, 1487/69/2
(2) 'Memorandum concerning myself and Family' [James Ware], 1487/80/2
(3) 'Brief Account of his life by Reverend James Ware ...... Suffolk', 1487/88/1
(4) Diaries of James Ware, 1487/103
(5) 'Religious Reflections' of Martin Ware transcribed by J T Ware, 1487/105
(6) Memoirs of Martin Ware, 1487/106
(7) Memorial Sermon for Reverend Thomas Tayler, 1487/110/1
(8) Obituaries of James Thomas Ware, 1487/112
(9) Obituaries of Martin Ware, 1487/113
(10) Obituary of Charles Tayler Ware, 1487/114
(11) 'A Short Account of the Society for Relief of Widows and Orphans of Medical Men from its Foundation ..... 1888', 1487/118/6
(12) 'Trinity College Mission 1885 to 1935', 1487/118/7
(13) Concise Dictionary of National Biography, 1930
(14) Dictionary of National Biography
(15) Crockfords Clerical Directory
(16) Obituaries of Martin Ware in 1585/7.
Reverend Thomas Tayler (1735-1831): born 5 Sep 1735, in Kidderminster. Trained for the Nonconformist Ministry from 1750 at Dr Doddridge's Academy [Doddridge died shortly afterwards]. Late 1750s Domestic Chaplain to Miss Elizabeth Abney of Stoke Newington. 1766 Assistant Minister at Carter Lane [Presbyterian Chapel (6)] (Edward Pickard was Minister), 1773-1811 Minister of Carter Lane. Died 1831 (7).
Manager of Presbyterian Fund for over 50 years. Trustee of two charities, Dr Daniel Williams' and Mr Coward's of Walthamstow. Involved with the Orphan Working School, City Road; Society for Relief of Widows and Orphans of Protestant Dissenting Ministers; Protestant Dissenting School; British and Foreign Bible Society etc.
Published a few sermons including 'Sermons upon subjects interesting to Christians of every denomination' 1803 (7).
Married Mary Porter (d.1800). 4 children Mary, Thomas, Anne and Joseph (1).
Martin Ware I (1717-1801): born 1 May 1717 (2) at Portsmouth or Portsea (1). In Dockyard at Portsmouth (1). Appointed Builder's Second Assistant, Plymouth 1773. First Shipwright at Sheerness Yard 1784. First Shipwright at Woolwich Yard 1785 (2). First Shipwright at Deptford (1). Died 13 Jan 1801 (1).
Married Elizabeth Dale 1743 (d.1795). 4 children Mary, Elizabeth, Ann and James (1).
James Ware FRS (1756-1815): born 11 Feb 1756 (2). Went on trial to Mr Good [according to (2)] or Ramsey Karr [according to (14)], surgeon of King's Yard, Portsmouth 3 Jul 1770 and was bound to him to serve 5 years (2). Attended lectures in London 1773-1777 and was a working pupil at St Thomas' Hospital 1775-1777. Assistant to Mr Jonathan Walhen from 1777, became quarter partner in 1778 and half partner in 1789 (2). Partnership dissolved 1791 (14). Continued practising in London, mainly as eye surgeon until 1815 (13) and (14). 1798 elected FSA (14), 1802 elected FRS (14). Died 13 Apr 1815 (1).
1788 one of founders of Society for Relief of Widows and Orphans of Medical Men in London and Vicinity (14) and President 1810-1815 (11). 1800 founded school for indigent blind (14). Published 'Remarks on the Opthalmy [Psorophthalmy and Purulent Eye]' 1780 (2) and other works on opthalmic surgery (14).
Married Ursula Polhill (widow nee Maitland) (d.1836). 8 children, 6 of whom survived infancy, Ursula, Martin, James, Robert, John and Ebenezer (1).
Martin Ware II (1789-1872): born (?)1789. Entered the medical profession and in 1814 accompanied Sir Isaac Heard on a Garter Mission as his medical attendant (6). Appears to have been in partnership with his brother John until 1828 when John moved to Clifton (1) and (5). Continued his medical practice from his London homes until late 1860's: 1816-1823 23 New Bridge Street; 1823- Bloomsbury Square; -1841 New Bridge Street; 1841-1862 51 Russell Square; 1862-1868 18 Gordon Square (5) and (6). Died 10 Oct 1872 (6).
President of the Society for Relief of Widows and Orphans of Medical Men 1864-1867 (11).
Married Anne Tayler 1816 (d.1859). 5 sons James Thomas, Martin, Charles Tayler, Joseph Maitland and Henry (5).
Reverend James Ware (1790-1855): born 1 Aug 1790. School 1795-1805 [details in (3)]. Commercial experience 1806-1812 [details in (3)]. Trinity College, Cambridge 1812-1816. Curacy of Little Maplestead, Essex 1818-1829, rector of Wyverstone 1830-1855 (3) and (1). Died Mar 1855 (1).
Married Mary Mitton 1834 (3) (d.1875). No children (6). Mary's will is 1487/13.
James Thomas Ware (1817-1902): born 2 Jun 1817 (1). Educated at a school in Brighton, Messrs Wood and Thorowgood, Totteridge, Herts - 1834 (4) and (5) and with a private tutor Reverend J Ayre at Edmonton 1834 (6). Entered as student at St Bartholomew's Hospital 1835, subsequently House surgeon and Governor (8). Studied in Berlin, Paris and Strasbourg Nov 1841- 1842 (6) and (8). 1850's gave up his medical career because of ill health and went to Tilford (5) and (8). Gave up farming at Tilford 1884 (6). Died 1902 (8).
One of the founders of the Metropolitan Convalescent Institution 1840's and became one of its Vice Presidents. On Board of Guardians of Farnham Union. Churchwarden at Tilford. Manager of Tilford School (8). Unmarried (8).
Martin Ware III (1818-1895): born 26 Dec 1818 (1). Educated at Messrs Wood and Thorowgood, Totteridge 1827-1834, private tutor at Edmonton, Reverend J Ayre 1834, King's College - 1837 and Trinity College, Cambridge 1837-1841. Kept Terms at Lincoln's Inn 1841-. Accompanied Baron Gurney on circuit as his private secretary and general attendant 1843-1845. Called to Bar 1845, had Chambers in 8 New Square, Lincoln's Inn [1860 moved to 25 Old Square, 1886 to 2 Stone Buildings]. Practice not very successful so began reporting for Weekly Reporter, later [1859 (16)] became editor until 1866. 1866 appointed a reporter for the Law Reports (6). [(16) adds that he was a reporter in the Chancery Division of the Court of Appeal]. Died Dec 1895.
Secretary of Committee of the Ragged School in Compton Place, Brunswick Square 1846 [and Superintendent (16)]. Committee member of Ragged School Union 1849[- ?1867]. One of the founders of Ragged School Shoeblack Society 1851, later committee member and Secretary [of Central Shoeblack Society(16)]. One of the founders of Church Education Society. On committee for promoting the Saturday Half Holiday. Helped in formation of Reformatory and Refuge Union and member 1856.
Helped in formation of Social Sciences Association 1857 and Secretary of its Preventive and Reformatory Department until 1864. Secretary to Sub-committee of the Society of Arts for considering the dwellings of the poor 1864-1865. (Report published in Journal of the Society of Arts 22 May 1865). Published 'A Handy Book of Sanitary Law' [?1865]. Elected member of British and Foreign Bible Society 1882 (16). Committee member of the Female Mission to the Fallen and Female Aid Society 1884 (9). Vicar's churchwarden at St Paul's, Onslow Square (16).
Special Constable during Chartist Unrest 1848. Lieutenant in 37 Middlesex Rifle Volunteers 1860 [later Captain, Major and acting Adjutant], retired from Volunteer Movement  (6).
Married Mary Williams 1867 (d.1914). 4 children, Emily Ursula, Edith Mary, Martin Stewart, Arthur Maitland (6).
Charles Tayler Ware (1820-1908): born 12 Sep 1820 (1). Educated at Messrs Wood and Thorowgood's School, Totteridge and King's College (6). Practised as a solicitor Lincoln's Inn Fields, later in Copthall Court and Great Winchester Street until 1890. Died 1908 (10).
Joined St Giles Ragged School [1850s] (6). One of founders of National Refuges for Homeless and Destitute Children 1862, became deputy Chairman. Member of Religious Tract Society for 55 years. On committee of British and Foreign Bible Society. Trustee of Fuller's Almshouses (10).
Special Constable during Chartist Unrest 1848. Commission in the Bloomsbury Rifles (10).
Married a) Zillah Hallet 1861 (d.1873). 3 children, Charles Martin, Florence Mary and Francis Henry, and b) Frances Foster 1877 (d.?), no children (1) and (6).
Joseph Ware (1822-1860): born 1822 (1). Educated at Messrs Wood and Thorowgood's School, Totteridge (6). Employed in Mr Farmer's Manufactuary (5). Developed epilepsy in 1850 after being hit by a bell (5), and gave up work as a result. Died 1860 in Lausanne.
Involved in Ragged School work while living in Russell Square (6). Married Ellen Farmer 1850 (d.?). 5 children, Ellen Ursula, Mary Josephine Tayler, Joseph Henry, Anne Eliza and Lucy Farmer (1).
Henry Ware (1830-1909): born 1830 (1). Educated at Messrs Wood and Thorowgood's School, Totteridge, King's College (6), and Trinity College, Cambridge (1). Left Cambridge 1853 (?). Vicar of Kirkby Lonsdale 1862 (6). Bishop of Barrow in Furness 1889 (6) [-1909] (15). Married (a) Elizabeth Hornby 1865 (d.1884) and (b) [Ellen], daughter of Bishop of Carlisle [Harvey Goodwin] 1887 or 8 (6).
Reverend Martin Stewart Ware (1871-1934): born 4 Dec 1871 (1). Educated at school in Hampstead, 1879-1881, Bengeo 1882, Haileybury 1885- and Cambridge 1891-1894 (6). Ordained by Bishop of Durham 1895 (6) and (1487/90/24). Missioner at Trinity College Mission, Camberwell 1900-1903, Warden 1903-1910. He was injured in a railway accident in 1908 and had to retire (12).
Arthur Maitland Ware (1874-1953): born Mar 1874 (1). Educated at various preparatory schools, at Haileybury 1887-1892, and Pembroke College, Cambridge 1892 (6).
1487/1-21 TITLE DEEDS, TILFORD AND ASH, 1621-1946
1487/1/1-20 Wenford Mill, Wear Plot and other lands at Tilford and Waverley, 1621-1733
1487/2/1-11 Ash: House called Costall Gate, North Mead; other houses and lands, 1723-1741
1487/3/1-11 House [at Tilford], and houses and lands in Tilford and Ash, 1748-1761
1487/4/1-11 Tilford House, other houses and land, and papers and accounts of Elizabeth Abney's executors, 1761-1790
1487/5/1-6 Tilford House, freehold and copyhold lands at Tilford, with will of Thomas Tayler, 1783-1831
1487/6/1-18 Malthouse or Bridgeland Farm and Mayes or Mansell's Farm, 1759-1840
1487/7/1-2 Allotments under Tilford Inclosure (Act 1850), 1847-1852
1487/8/1-13 Higher Reed and Hopground Reed, with a hopkiln, 1821-1851
1487/9/1-4 Copyhold cottage near Abbot's, 1834-1851
1487/10/1-12 Parcel no. 62 in Tilford Inclosure, 1855-1864
1487/11/1-4 Cottage, turfhouse and garden on south side of Tilford Common, 1855-1863
1487/12/1-44 Copy will of Martin Ware (d. 10 Oct 1872) with forms, valuations, papers and correspondence relating to the division of the estate, 1868-1875
1487/13/1-2 Copy will and codicils of Mrs Mary Ware with estimate for probate, 1865-1875
1487/14/1-19 Under the will of Martin Ware: Thomas Tayler's copyholds and other copyholds and allotments under Tilford Inclosure, 1873-1879
1487/15 Tilford Estate: release from M Ware and C T Ware, 1879
1487/16 Land at Tilford late Mansell's, 1885
1487/17 Exchange of Old Chapel, 1894
1487/18/1-3 Death of J T Ware (30 Jul 1902): Estate and Succession Duty forms, 1902
1487/19 Bond whose connection with the estate is not clear, 1695
1487/20/1-40 Conveyances, many of building plots, 1866 and 1903-1946
1487/21/1-12 Sale particulars of Tilford House and contents, farms and lands in Tilford and Frensham, and of an estate in Ash and Worplesdon, 1758-1903
1487/22 NONCONFORMIST WORSHIP IN TILFORD HOUSE, 1761
1487/22 Registration of Elizabeth Abney's house, 1761
1487/23-67 TILFORD ESTATE
1487/23/1-19 Plans, 1761-1866
1487/24/1-21 Leases, agreements, notices to quit, 1817-1907
1487/25/1-15 Inventories and valuations, c1836-1860
1487/26-52 Correspondence and papers, 1835-1943
1487/53-61 Estate accounts, bills and receipts, 1836-1907
1487/62-64 Calculations, 1849-1886
1487/65-66 List, bundle labels and printed paper, 19th and 20th cent
1487/67/1-4 London House, 1833-1835
1487/68-69 HISTORY OF TILFORD AND THE TAYLER AND WARE FAMILIES, -1946
1487/68/1-14 Letters and notes
1487/70-73 MARRIAGE SETTLEMENTS AND WILLS, 1771-1827
1487/70/1 Martin Ware I (1717-1801)
1487/71/1 Mary Ware (1744-?)
1487/72/1 Elizabeth Ware (1746-)
1487/73/1-2 Ann Ware (1747/8-)
1487/74-102 FAMILY LETTERS AND PAPERS, 1800-1962
1487/74-78 Tayler Family
1487/74-76 Rev Thomas Tayler (1735-1831)
1487/77-78 Mary Tayler nee Porter (-1800)
1487/79-101 Ware Family
1487/79-80 James Ware FRS (1756-1815)
1487/81 Ursula Ware nee Maitland (1756-1836)
1487/82-84 Martin Ware II (1789-1872)
1487/85-86 Anne Ware nee Tayler (1792-1859
1487/87-88 Rev James Ware (1790-1855)
1487/89 James Thomas Ware (1817-1902)
1487/90-92 Martin Ware III (1818-1895)
1487/93 Mary Ware nee Williams (1834-1914)
1487/94 Charles Tayler Ware (1820-1908)
1487/95-97 Rev Henry Ware (1830-1909)
1487/98 Rev Martin Stewart Ware (1871-1934)
1487/99-100 Arthur Maitland Ware (1874-1953)
1487/101 Dr Martin Ware
1487/102 Brownlow Family
1487/102 William Brownlow ( ? )
1487/103-109 DIARIES AND MEMOIRS, 1773-1912
1487/103/1-2 James Ware FRS
1487/104/1 Martin Ware II
1487/105/1 James Thomas Ware
1487/106/1-4 Martin Ware III
1487/107/1-3 Mary Ware
1487/108/1-2 Rev Martin S Ware
1487/109/1 Edith M Ware
1487/110-114 OBITUARIES AND MEMORIALS, 1832-1908
1487/110/1 Rev Thomas Tayler
1487/111/1 Rev James Ware
1487/112/1-4 James Thomas Ware
1487/113/1-2 Martin Ware III
1487/114/1 Charles Tayler Ware
1487/115-118 GRAPHIC AND PRINTED MATERIAL
1487/116/1-2 Tilford House
1487/118/1-7 Printed material, 1773-1936
1487/119-178 LETTERS FROM RAGGED BOYS AND RELATED PAPERS, 1852-
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Conditions of access:||
There are no access restrictions.
|Link to NRA Record:|