Records of the Ware Charity Estates
|Title:||Records of the Ware Charity Estates|
Details of the properties held under the trust in 1612 are given in D/EWe/4/93 and in 1905 in D/EWe/5/1. The charities were amalgamated in 1909 and details of the Charity Commission Schemes can be found in D/EWe/3/1-2. In D/EWe/5/6 are [19th century] plans of charity properties.
Documents in the first deposit refer to the building of the Harrison Almshouses in Park Road in 1909; the sale of the Saracen's Head Inn in 1921, of the former almsrooms at Elm Green, Wareside, in 1923, of Bell Close, Park Road, and Popes or Doulton's Pightle, Watton Road, in 1932, of Kibes Lane in 1935 (this house was subsequently demolished with the rest of the street in a clearance scheme), and of the Priory Street almsrooms and their site in 1940 (they were demolished and old people's flats were built on part of the site). The Harrison and Crib Street almshouses remain in use.
Items D/EWe/4/16-91, 5/8-10 and 8/4 form the second deposit and include the early deeds of the Ware Charities; the White Hart and Saracens Head in Ware and other lands in Ware, Great Amwell, Great Munden and The Lamb and Flag, Colliers End, Standon. Items D/EWe/1/2-5; 2/7-12; 4/93-215; 5/11; 6/3; 7/4 and 8/5 form the third deposit and include later deeds of properties already mentioned as well as Trustees minutes and correspondence. D/EWe/4/16-215 were calendared at the request of the depositor. The calendar, giving more detailed descriptions of the lands, as well as the parties to the deeds, is to be found in the Appendix at the end of this list.
Numbers in square brackets in either the list or the appendix indicate the original numbering of the documents.
D/EWe/2 Financial Records
D/EWe/3 Charity schemes and related papers
D/EWe/4 Deeds and related items (see contents list)
D/EWe/6 Recipients of Charity
D/EWe/7 General Correspondence
D/EWe/4 Deeds and related items: Contents list
Trust Deeds D/EWe/4/1-3, 45, 93, 95-106, 137-138
White Hart Inn D/EWe/4/5-6, 46-79, 123-136, 213
Saracen's Head Inn D/EWe/4/8, 16-28, 107-122
The Bear Inn D/EWe/4/181-211
Mill Lane D/EWe/4/37-40, 139
Bell Close D/EWe/4/33-36, 140-146
Widows Meads D/EWe/4/9, 115, 153-166
Monks Meads D/EWe/4/9, 115, 153-166
Mill Mead D/EWe/4/9, 115, 153-166
Dalton's Pightle D/EWe/4/10, 147-152
Chuck Memorial School D/EWe/4/174
Humphrey Spencer, Uplands Charity and Wareside Grammar School D/EWe/4/31-32, 94, 167-171, 214-217
Kibes Lane D/EWe/4/11, 178-180
Crib Street D/EWe/4/14, 175-177
Other properties in Ware D/EWe/4/4, 7, 12-13, 15, 29-30, 41-43
Ware, Great and Little Amwell D/EWe/4/80-82
Great Amwell and Stanstead St Margarets D/EWe/4/83
Great Munden D/EWe/4/84-85
The Lamb and Flag, Colliers End, Standon D/EWe/4/44, 86-92, 172-173
|Date:||1365 - 1978|
|Held by:||Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives|
The calendar is in numerical order
|Physical condition:||Many of the deeds have been damaged by damp and cannot be separated. It has therefore not been possible to calendar them fully or assign reference numbers in a logical order.|
The Ware Charity estates and trustees originated in the medieval Guild of Corpus Christi and the Guild of Jesus; they were also known by other names such as the Ware Feoffees and the Trustees of the Ware Town Land Rents. The trustees manage a number of the Ware parish charities.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|