CHRIST CHURCH, BEXLEYHEATH
|Title:||CHRIST CHURCH, BEXLEYHEATH|
Parish registers & administrative records
|Held by:||Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre, not available at The National Archives|
PA23C/1 Records of Incumbent: Registers
PA23C/2 Records of Incumbent: Licences
PA23C/3 Records of Incumbent: Property and Income
PA23C/5 Records of Churchwardens: Accounts
PA23C/6 Records of Churchwardens: Property
PA23C/7 Records of Churchwardens: Miscellaneous
PA23C/8 Records of the Parochial Church Council
PA23C/11 Records of Overseers: Rates
PA23C/22 Records of Surveyors: Miscellaneous
PA23C/24 Records of Special Committees
PA23C/25 Charity and School Records
PA23C/27 Tithe Records
PA23C/28 Miscellaneous Records
The records were deposited by the Church in December 1990 (except PA32C/5/2/2 which was donated by Mrs N H Coleman in 1986) and have been catalogued by Mr Malcolm Barr-Hamilton.
A chapel-of-ease to the parish church of St Mary's, Bexley, was built for the fast-growing population of Bexleyheath and consecrated in 1836. This stood on the south side of the Broadway adjacent to what is now Oaklands Road. Until 1844 baptisms at the Chapel were entered in the registers of St Mary's Church. A burial ground adjacent to the Chapel was consecrated in 1842. This soon became full and was closed for burials in 1882, the present Bexleyheath cemetery having been opened in 1879. For burials in the latter enquirers are advised to use the registers in the Local Authority records held here which give more detailed information than the Church copies. The Chapel was licensed for marriages in 1846.
Although the Chapel of Ease had been enlarged in 1852 the population was increasing so rapidly that work began on the building of the present Christ Church in 1872 and it was consecrated in 1877.
|Link to NRA Record:|