Catalogue of the records of Edmund Kirby & Sons architects and surveyors, Liverpool by C J Williams

This record is held by Liverpool Record Office

Details of Catalogue of the records of Edmund Kirby & Sons architects and surveyors, Liverpool by C J Williams
Title: Catalogue of the records of Edmund Kirby & Sons architects and surveyors, Liverpool by C J Williams
Reference: 720/KIR
Description:

EDMUND KIRBY & SONS:

 

GENERAL

 

Diaries and notebooks

 

Letter books

 

Working papers

 

Acts of Parliament

 

Works of reference

 

Edmund Kirby Trust

 

Office staff, expenses, etc

 

Reports and valuations

 

Bills

 

Brochures

 

Ledgers

 

General accounts

 

Salaries

 

Cash books

 

Vouchers

 

Rent books

 

Income tax

 

Estate agency

 

Records

 

Personal files and papers

 

ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CHARTERED SURVEYORS

 

UNITED KINGDOM:

 

GENERAL

 

NATIONAL COAL BOARD

 

BRITISH WATERWAYS

 

ENGLAND:

 

CHESHIRE: GENERAL

 

Cheshire County Council

 

smallholdings

 

Crag estate of Earl of Derby

 

Leverhulme estate: general

 

Gas companies

 

Wirral Railways

 

CHESHIRE: PARISHES

 

Altrincham

 

Appleton Thorn

 

Arley Hall

 

Audlem

 

Barnston

 

Bebington

 

Bidston

 

Birkenhead: Extension Bill

 

Birkenhead: breweries

 

Birkenhead: docks

 

Birkenhead: ferries

 

Birkenhead: general

 

Birkenhead: workhouse and hospital

 

Birkenhead: streets (in alphabetical order)

 

Bolesworth Castle

 

Bollington (nr Macclesfield)

 

Bromborough

 

Bunbury

 

Burton

 

Caldy

 

Cheadle

 

Chester: St Werburgh's Roman

 

Catholic church and schools

 

Chester: St Francis's Roman

 

Catholic schools

 

Chester Northgate Brewery Co

 

Chester: general

 

Chorlton by Backford

 

Crewe

 

Dukinfield

 

Dutton

 

Eastham

 

Ellesmere Port

 

Frodsham

 

Gayton

 

Greasby

 

Great Budworth

 

Halton

 

Hazel Grove

 

Heswall

 

High Legh

 

Hoole

 

Hoylake: St Hildeburgh's

 

Roman Catholic church

 

Hoylake: St John the Baptist's

 

church, Meols

 

Hoylake: St Catherine's Roman

 

Catholic church

 

Hoylake: Corbys

 

Hoylake: Dormy Cottage

 

Hoylake: Royal Liverpool

 

Golf Club

 

Hoylake: general

 

Hunsterson

 

Hyde

 

Knutsford

 

Ledsham

 

Little Leigh

 

Lower Peover

 

Macclesfield

 

CHESHIRE

 

Malpas

 

Middlewich

 

Ness

 

Neston: St Mary and St Helen's church

 

Neston: St Winefride's church and school

 

Neston: Hinderton Hall estate

 

Neston: other properties

 

Northwich

 

Parkgate

 

Port Sunlight

 

Poulton cum Spital

 

Puddington

 

Pulford

 

Raby

 

Romiley

 

Rowton

 

Runcorn: St Edward's Roman

 

Catholic church and schools

 

Runcorn: Crofton Lodge

 

Runcorn: other properties

 

Sale

 

Sandbach

 

Stalybridge

 

Stockport: Roman Catholic

 

Church of Our Lady

 

Stockport: St Joseph's Roman Catholic church

 

Stockport: Shaw Heath workhouse

 

Stockton Heath

 

Storeton

 

Tattenhall

 

Thornton Hough

 

Thornton le Moors

 

Upton

 

Wallasey: general

 

Wallasey Embankment Trust

 

Wallasey: New Brighton,

 

general

 

Wallasey: streets (in alphabetical order)

 

West Kirby: St Agnes's

 

Roman Catholic church and schools

 

West Kirby: other properties

 

Willaston

 

Wilmslow

 

Wistaston

 

Woodbank

 

CUMBERLAND

 

Cleator

 

Cockermouth

 

Penrith

 

Whitehaven

 

DERBYSHIRE

 

Staveley

 

Whaley Bridge

 

DURHAM

 

Gateshead

 

Hylton

 

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

 

Avonmouth

 

Bristol

 

Cheltenham

 

HAMPSHIRE

 

Hayling Island

 

HEREFORDSHIRE

 

Presteign

 

KENT

 

Margate

 

LANCASHIRE: GENERAL

 

Earl of Derby's estates

 

General

 

LANCASHIRE: PARISHES

 

Abram

 

Accrington

 

Aintree

 

Ashton in Makerfield

 

Ashton under Lyne

 

Atherton

 

Aughton

 

Barrow in Furness

 

Bickerstaffe

 

Billinge

 

Blackburn

 

Blackpool

 

Bolton

 

Bootle: general

 

Bootle: streets (in alphabetical order)

 

Burnley

 

Burscough

 

Burtonwood

 

Cadishead

 

Chorley: St Gregory's church

 

Chorley: Church of the

 

Sacred Heart

 

Chorley: other properties

 

Claughton

 

Clayton Green

 

Clitheroe

 

Crosby: Blundellsands

 

Crosby: Ince Blundell Hall

 

Crosby: Waterloo

 

Crosby: other properties

 

LANCASHIRE

 

Ditton

 

Eccles

 

Euxton

 

Farnworth

 

Formby

 

Formby: Freshfield

 

Golborne

 

Hale

 

Halsall

 

Huyton: Presbyterian church

 

Huyton: other properties

 

Irlam

 

Kirkby: St Chad's

 

mission church

 

Kirkby: other properties

 

Knowsley

 

Lancaster

 

Lathom

 

Leigh

 

Litherland

 

Liverpool: brewers and

 

licensing

 

Liverpool: churches

 

Liverpool: companies

 

Liverpool: corporation,

 

planning, etc

 

Liverpool docks: general

 

Liverpool: individual docks

 

Liverpool: societies

 

Liverpool: Speke airport

 

Liverpool: Speke Hall

 

Liverpool: Everton Tunnel

 

Liverpool-Birkenhead subway

 

Liverpool: Mersey Tunnel

 

Liverpool: workhouses

 

Liverpool: streets (in

 

alphabetical order)

 

Lowton

 

Lydiate

 

Lytham St Anne's

 

Maghull

 

Manchester

 

Melling

 

Morecambe

 

Netherton

 

Newton le Willows

 

Ormskirk

 

Over Kellet

 

Parbold

 

Prescot

 

Preston

 

Rainford

 

Rainhill

 

Reddish

 

Rochdale

 

Rufford

 

St Helens

 

Salford

 

Scarisbrick

 

Southport: Birkdale (or

 

Ainsdale) Reformatory

 

Southport: Convent of Notre

 

Dame, Birkdale

 

Southport: hotels

 

Southport Pier

 

Southport: other properties

 

Stonyhurst

 

Tarbock

 

Thornton

 

Tottington

 

Tyldesley

 

Ulverston

 

Upholland

 

Warrington: Extension Bill

 

Warrington: Greenall,

 

Whitley & Co

 

Warrington: Joseph Crosfield & Son

 

Warrington: S Aston & Son

 

Warrington: other properties

 

Widnes: St Mary's Roman

 

Catholic schools

 

Widnes: William Gossage & Sons

 

Widnes: other properties

 

Wigan and Leigh assessment areas

 

Wigan: St Joseph's Roman

 

Catholic church and schools

 

Wigan: cotton mills

 

Wigan: St Patrick's schools and club

 

Wigan: other properties

 

Winwick

 

Yealand

 

LINCOLNSHIRE

 

Anwick

 

Scunthorpe

 

LONDON

 

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

 

Colston Bassett

 

SHROPSHIRE

 

Cound

 

Dudleston

 

Ludlow

 

Newport

 

Shrewsbury: cathedral and schools

 

Shrewsbury: Royal Salop Infirmary

 

Wellington

 

SHROPSHIRE

 

Whitchurch

 

STAFFORDSHIRE

 

Bloxwich

 

Haunton

 

Stone

 

Tamworth

 

West Bromwich

 

SUFFOLK

 

Newmarket

 

WARWICKSHIRE

 

Erdington

 

King's Norton

 

Rugby

 

Warwick

 

WESTMORLAND

 

Grasmere

 

Kendal

 

Leasgill

 

Levens

 

WORCESTERSHIRE

 

Worcester

 

YORKSHIRE: EAST

 

RIDING

 

Wheldrake

 

YORKSHIRE: NORTH

 

RIDING

 

Ampleforth

 

Scarborough

 

YORKSHIRE: WEST

 

RIDING

 

Bolton by Bowland

 

Sheffield

 

Skipton

 

YORKSHIRE: YORK

 

York: Dispensary

 

York: Union Bank

 

York: St Olave's church

 

WALES:

 

General

 

ANGLESEY

 

Amlwch

 

Brynsiencyn

 

Holyhead

 

Menai Bridge

 

Trearddur Bay

 

BRECKNOCKSHIRE

 

Brecon

 

CARDIGANSHIRE

 

Aberystwyth

 

CAERNARFONSHIRE

 

Betws-y-coed

 

Bangor

 

Caernarfon

 

Conwy

 

Deganwy

 

Dolwyddelan

 

Edern

 

Llanberis

 

Llandudno

 

Llanfairfechan

 

Pwllheli

 

DENBIGHSHIRE

 

Abergele

 

Chirk

 

Coedpoeth

 

Henllan

 

Llandegla

 

Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd

 

Llanferres

 

Llangollen

 

Llanrwst

 

Marchwiel

 

Ruabon

 

Ruthin

 

Wrexham

 

FLINTSHIRE

 

Bettisfield

 

Ewloe

 

Flint

 

Halkyn

 

Hawarden

 

Holywell

 

Marford

 

Mold

 

Northop

 

Pantasaph

 

Pontybodkin

 

Prestatyn

 

Queensferry

 

Rhyl

 

St Asaph

 

Saltney

 

Sealand

 

Talacre

 

Tremeirchion

 

GLAMORGAN

 

General

 

Dowlais

 

MERIONETH

 

Aberdyfi

 

Bala

 

Carrog

 

Dolgellau

 

Frongoch

 

MONMOUTHSHIRE

 

Abergavenny

 

Dixton

 

Newport

 

MONTGOMERYSHIRE

 

Llanwddyn

 

Machynlleth

 

Newtown

 

Pen-y-bont fawr

 

SCOTLAND

 

General

 

Dumfries

 

Glasgow

 

Renfrew

 

ISLE OF MAN

 

General

 

Douglas

 

NORTHERN IRELAND

 

Belfast

 

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

 

Cork

Held by: Liverpool Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Arrangement:

The great majority of the records relate to individual properties, and consequently the arrangement of the collection is by place, using pre-1974 county boundaries. Within the larger towns-Liverpool, Birkenhead, Wallasey and Bootle-the records are further arranged by street. A small collection of early drawings retained by the firm is described in an Appendix.

Language: English
Selection and destruction information:

About one third of the records, mostly files from the 1930s to the 1960s, was judged to be not worth preserving as archives, and was discarded, following consultation with the firm. The rejected items included many records relating to smaller commissions, and minor additions and alterations to properties, repairs and maintenance, although a small selection was made to illustrate this aspect of the firm's work. For a time Edmund Kirby & Sons acted for Shell-Mex & BP Ltd in surveying and valuing garages bought up by that firm, and building and maintaining new service stations. Here also a policy was adopted of making a small selection of these. Many sale catalogues of properties were sent to the firm, and survived in the records. While all those relating to Liverpool were kept, others have been transferred to the appropriate local record office. Lastly, it should be mentioned that some early drawings by Edmund Kirby, especially tracings, are in need of conservation work, and cannot be produced until this has been done.

Administrative History:

Edmund Kirby, the founder of the firm whose records are described in this volume, was born in Liverpool, the eldest of three sons, on 8 April 1838. A Roman Catholic, he was educated at Sedgeley Park School and Oscott College. Before training as an architect he studied at the Royal Academy schools, and while a student in London he designed scenery for a production of Shakespeare's Henry IV by the actor, Charles Kean. Kirby was articled to the architect Edward Welby Pugin (son of A W N Pugin). He later worked for the firm of Hardman & Co, ecclesiastical designers, and for John Douglas, the Chester architect.

 

Various dates in the 1860s have been given for Edmund Kirby's commencement in practice on his own account. His signatures on early drawings in this collection suggest that he practised in Birkenhead (perhaps in his own house) in the years 1863-5. See drawings of Birkenhead public library (720KIR/638) and St Wilfrid's church, Northwich (720KIR/1094). By January 1866 he was at work in Derby Buildings, 24 Fenwick Street, Liverpool, his office for many years. 720KIR/1094. In 1878 he moved to offices in Union Buildings, Cook Street, which had just been completed to his own design. There the firm remained until 1965, when it moved to State House, Dale Street, which also had been built to the firm's design. Information from Edmund Kirby & Sons. Its offices are now in India Buildings, Liverpool.

 

Edmund Kirby married, in 1873, Rose Anne, daughter of Benjamin Dodsworth of Burton Croft, York. He lived in Birkenhead, latterly in Shrewsbury Road, where in 1905 his wife died. Obituary of EK in Liverpool Post and Mercury, 26 Apr 1920. He had three sons. Two of them, Francis J Kirby and Edmund Bertram Kirby, joined him in the firm. The third, Edward Dodsworth Kirby, became a solicitor and later a Roman Catholic priest. Obituary of E D Kirby in Liverpool Evening Express, 9 Jun 1954.

 

As a Roman Catholic, Edmund Kirby undertook a number of commissions for the church throughout his years in practice. The Roman Catholic Bishop of Shrewsbury, in an address at Kirby's funeral, stated that he had designed fourteen churches for the diocese of Shrewsbury alone, altered or improved eight others, and built fifteen Roman Catholic schools. The records of the firm have been exceptionally well preserved. The Liverpool Record Office holds the records of two other Liverpool architects, but in neither case do their records approach either in quantity or quality those of Edmund Kirby & Sons. The collection catalogued in this volume consists of nearly 3,700 items contained in 690 archive boxes, and is one of the biggest collections in the record office. Unlike many architects, Edmund Kirby folded his drawings, and kept them together with the correspondence and papers relating to the building. There are very few rolled plans. This may have made the records easier to store, and so explain their remarkable survival. However, some of the firm's administrative records, such as the first hundred letter books, up to 1932, have not survived. Possibly they were sent for salvage during the Second World War. Early records of the firm, apart from those relating to individual buildings, are few, but they include one diary of Edmund Kirby for 1868,720KIR/1. and some out-letter books for 1879-83. 720KIR/32-8. On the other hand, the records document many buildings by Kirby which are not mentioned in the Pevsner Buildings of England series. Much of his work was in Liverpool, the north-west of England and north Wales. It included churches (Anglican as well as Roman Catholic), schools, hospitals and workhouse buildings, houses, ranging from elaborate 'stockbrokers' palaces' in Birkenhead to cottages for Lever Bros in Port Sunlight, public houses, banks and other commercial buildings. But the collection also includes items relating to a house and church in south Wales (Glen Trothy near Abergavenny, and St Illtyd's Roman Catholic church in Dowlais, near Merthyr), a major bank in York, and competition drawings for a cathedral in Cork.

 

Edmund Kirby practised both as an architect and a surveyor, and was joined by his two sons, each trained in one discipline. Francis J Kirby was a surveyor, who worked for the firm from 1905 to 1934. For eleven years he was valuer to the Mersey Tunnel Joint Committee, which work is well reflected in records in this collection. He also acted for the Earl of Derby, Wallasey Embankment Trust and many local industries. In 1934 he became an official arbitrator under the Acquisition of Land Act. He died in 1945, aged 71. Obituary in Liverpool Post, 13 Aug 1945. There are many records in this volume relating to surveyor's work of his time and later, including papers concerning the valuation of properties of breweries throughout the north-west, and commercial buildings in Liverpool and elsewhere. Many files relate to the wartime requisitioning of properties, air-raid precautions, and repair of bomb damage, particularly in Liverpool and Birkenhead. The firm valued colliery properties in Lancashire and north Wales, nationalized in 1946. A director of the firm was for a time secretary of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Lancashire, Cheshire and Isle of Man branch, which explains the presence of early minutes and other records of the branch in this collection.

 

Edmund Kirby's son Edmund Bertram trained as an architect, and joined the firm in 1901, remaining a partner until his retirement in 1947. He died in 1953, aged 71. Obituary in Liverpool Daily Post, 27 March 1953. His work on houses, churches, hospitals and schools is also well represented in the collection.

Unpublished Finding Aids:
  • Records held in offices of Edmund Kirby & Sons

     

    Although the great majority of the firm's records up to the 1960s have been deposited in the Liverpool Record Office, a small number has been retained in their offices in India Buildings. These records are described in the list which follows. They are, unless otherwise indicated, stored flat in portfolios, and consist of architectural drawings. The contents of this list have not been included in the index.

     

    GENERAL

     

    1 Oil portrait of Edmund Kirby. nd [late 19th c](framed).

     

    2 'Miscellaneous ecclesiastical drawings', including St Edmund's church, Runcorn, windows for St Nicholas's Pro-Cathedral, Liverpool, 1947, St Ignatius', Preston, 1895, Birkenhead Priory Chapter House, 1914, nd. 1866-1947 (1 portfolio).

     

    3 Sundry items, including residence at Noctorum for G H Haram, 1877; alterations at Brook House, Blackburn, 1880s; 10 Seymour Street, Liverpool, c1900; details of house at Howbeck Road, Oxton, c1900; 13 Devonshire Place, Lt-Col Steel, 1887; and new premises for Liverpool Stock Room Co, School Lane, 1909 (1 portfolio).

     

    4 'Edmund Kirby's reference material': drawings (printed) of architectural features and buildings in Britain and overseas (many relating to Liverpool) from The Draughtsman's Sketch Book, The Builder, The Architect, Building News, etc. 1881-1913 (1 portfolio).

     

    5 Bills sent to EK. 1887-8 (1 portfolio).

     

    6 Drawings (printed) from The Builder and photographs of EK's churches and other buildings (some unidentified). 1893-1960s (3 portfolios, and many loose).

     

    7 Wall panelling and tapestry designs [?for Reform Club]. nd [late 19th c] (1 item).

     

    8 Competition drawings for unidentified hospital. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).

     

    9 'Design unknown date' for tracery [by E B Kirby]. nd [early 20th c] (1 item).

     

    CHESHIRE

     

    Appleton Thorn

     

    10 Appleton Thorn church. 1886 (1 portfolio).

     

    Birkenhead: workhouse

     

    11 Birkenhead Union Workhouse: new board offices. 1901-3 (1 portfolio).

     

    12 Birkenhead Workhouse: new wards. 1909 (6 portfolios).

     

    Birkenhead: Beckwith Street

     

    13 St Laurence's schools, Birkenhead. 1865-6 (4 portfolios).

     

    Birkenhead: Bidston Road

     

    14 Oxton: residence for Alfred Billson, esq. 1877-85 (2 portfolios).

     

    Birkenhead: Hamilton Square

     

    15 Birkenhead Town Hall: memorial tablets to memory of men of

     

    Cheshire Volunteers killed in South African War. 1902 (2 portfolios).

     

    Birkenhead: Howbeck Road

     

    16 Howbeck Road, Oxton: new residence. 1909 (1 portfolio).

     

    Birkenhead: Noctorum Lane

     

    17 Noctorum, Birkenhead: sale particulars of Mere Hall, 1925, and photograph of billiard room, nd. 1925, nd (2 items).

     

    Birkenhead: Park Road

     

    18 Park Road, Birkenhead: Bank Buildings. nd [late 19th c] (1 item).

     

    Birkenhead: Price Street

     

    19 Price Street, Birkenhead: proposed new infants' school. 1932 (1 item).

     

    Birkenhead: Slatey Road

     

    20 [Slatey Road, Birkenhead]: Williamson Art Gallery. 1914 (1 item, framed).

     

    21 [Slatey Road, Birkenhead]: Williamson Library competition drawings. 1914 (1 portfolio).

     

    Birkenhead: Taylor Street

     

    22 Taylor Street, Birkenhead: new stables, etc, for Mr McGetrick. 1891 (1 item).

     

    Birkenhead: Wexford Road

     

    23 Wexford Road, Oxton: new house for R W Brown, esq. 1899 (2 portfolios).

     

    Burton

     

    24 Burton: new house for R A L Billson. 1928 (1 portfolio).

     

    Congleton

     

    25 St Mary's schools, Congleton: plan of proposed additions and alterations. 1905-6 (2 items).

     

    Ellesmere Port

     

    26 Church of Our Lady, Ellesmere Port. 1930 (1 portfolio).

     

    Hoylake

     

    27 Meols Parade, Hoylake: Higher Elementary School. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).

     

    28 Birkenhead Road, Hoylake: St Catherine's new church. 1925-6 (2 portfolios).

     

    Hyde

     

    29 St Paul's church, Hyde: reredos, by E B Kirby. nd [?1920s].

     

    Neston

     

    30 Windle Hill, Hinderton: house for G P Gamon, esq, by E B Kirby. nd [early 20th c].

     

    31 Neston tomb: [mausoleum with elaborate canopy, by E B Kirby]. nd [?1911].

     

    Northwich

     

    32 St Wilfrid's Catholic church, Northwich. 1864-5 (2 portfolios).

     

    33 St Wilfrid's church, Northwich: presbytery. 1866 (2 items).

     

    Port Sunlight

     

    34 Port Sunlight houses [for Lever Bros]: sundry details. 1897 (1 portfolio).

     

    35 Port Sunlight: group of three cottages for Lever Bros. 1898 (1 portfolio).

     

    36 Primrose Hill, Port Sunlight: group of six cottages for Lever Bros. 1898-9 (1 portfolio).

     

    Poulton

     

    37 Poulton schools: plan of proposed enlargements. nd [c1900].

     

    Romiley

     

    38 Church of Our Lady and St Christopher, Romiley: altar. 1931-2 (1 portfolio).

     

    Sale

     

    39 St Joseph's Schools, Sale. 1898 (1 portfolio).

     

    Stockport

     

    40 Edgeley Schools: details of Chapel Street front. nd [c1900] (1 item).

     

    Wallasey: Dalmorton Road

     

    41 Dalmorton Road, New Brighton: new schools. 1907-8, nd (6 portfolios).

     

    Wallasey: Havelock Street

     

    42 [?Havelock Street]: Seacombe land and Mallaby right of light case. 1903 (1 portfolio).

     

    Wallasey: Ilford Avenue

     

    43 Somerville Schools, Seacombe. 1910-11 (1 portfolio).

     

    Wallasey: Manor Road

     

    44 Manor Road Board Schools, Liscard. 1908 (1 portfolio).

     

    Wallasey: Mill Lane

     

    45 St Alban's Schools, Mill Lane, Liscard. 1908 (2 portfolios).

     

    46 St Alban's church, Liscard. 1923-4 (1 portfolio).

     

    47 St Alban's church, Liscard: font. 1924 (1 item).

     

    Wallasey Road, Wallasey

     

    48 Wallasey Road, Wallasey: proposed new Boot Inn. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).

     

    West Kirby

     

    49 New church, West Kirby. 1897 (1 portfolio).

     

    DERBYSHIRE

     

    Whaley Bridge

     

    50 Church of the Sacred Heart, Whaley Bridge: new presbytery. 1924 (1 portfolio).

     

    GLOUCESTERSHIRE

     

    Avonmouth

     

    51 Mill for Crosfields & Bodey, Avonmouth. 1959 (1 item).

     

    LANCASHIRE

     

    Chorley

     

    52 [St Gregory's Roman Catholic church], Weld Bank, Chorley: reredos.

     

    1890 (1 portfolio).

     

    Eccles

     

    53 Industrial schools, Eccles. nd [late 19th c] (3 items).

     

    Formby

     

    54 St George's School, Freshfield: additions and alterations. nd [?1920s] (2 items).

     

    Huyton

     

    55 Knowsley Cottage, Huyton, by Alfred Culshaw. 1890-1 (1 portfolio).

     

    56 Mosscroft Farm Estate, Huyton, for Unit Estates. 1947 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: docks

     

    57 Duke's Dock, Liverpool: warehouses. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).

     

    58 Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouses. 1901 (2 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Abercromby Square

     

    59 6 Abercromby Square, Liverpool: house for Sir Edward R Russell. 1891-5 (3 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Arnot Street

     

    60 Arnot Street, Liverpool: school for Walton on the Hill School Board. 1883-4 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Ashton Street

     

    61 37-9 Ashton Street, Liverpool: alterations to nurses' home for

     

    Liverpool Royal Infirmary. 1913-15 (2 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Bold Street

     

    62 Bold Street, Liverpool: Barclays Bank. 1954 (1 item).

     

    63 34 Bold Street, Liverpool: premises for M'Kenzie & Co, by A Culshaw. 1892 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Brunswick Road

     

    64 Brunswick Road, [Liverpool]: Roman Catholic Blind Asylum, by William Culshaw & Son. 1874-6 (1 portfolio).

     

    65 [Brunswick Road, Liverpool]: temporary premises for J Baker & Co, Ltd [outfitters]. 1947 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Catharine Street

     

    66 Liverpool & Samaritan Hospital for Women. nd [?1920s] (8 items).

     

    Liverpool: Chapel Street

     

    67 Chapel Street, Liverpool: various drawings of Hamilton Buildings. 1895, nd (8 items).

     

    68 [Chapel Street, Liverpool]: photograph of Richmond House by E Chambré Hardman. nd [1970s].

     

    Liverpool: Church Alley

     

    69 Church Alley, Liverpool: new premises for Liverpool Stockroom Co. nd [c1900](1 portfolio).

     

    70 Church Alley, Liverpool: new [office] premises. nd [early 20th c].

     

    Liverpool: Church Street

     

    71 59-65 Church Street and Parker Street, Liverpool. 1886 (1 item).

     

    Liverpool: Cook Street

     

    72 Cook Street, Liverpool: Union Buildings [offices of EK]. 1877-81 (9 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Copperas Hill

     

    73 Copperas Hill, Liverpool: St Nicholas Catholic Schools. 1932 (1 item).

     

    Liverpool: Dale Street

     

    74 [31 Dale Street, Liverpool]: George Hotel site, detail of new offices. 1876 (1 item).

     

    75 Dale Street, Liverpool: Reform Club. 1876-1884 (including papers, etc, to 1932) (2 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Dawson Street

     

    76 Dawson Street, [Liverpool]: warehouses. 1904-5 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Dover Street

     

    77 Dover Street, Liverpool: nurses' home, by A C[ulshaw]. 1889 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Gilbert Street

     

    78 Gilbert Street, Liverpool: St Peter's Schools. 1871 (framed).

     

    Liverpool: Hawke Street

     

    79 St Nicholas's Pro-Cathedral, Liverpool: proposed alterations to baptistery. nd [1950s] (1 item).

     

    Liverpool: Holly Road

     

    80 12 Holly Road, Liverpool: air-raid shelter for Our Lady's Convent. 1940 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Hunter Street

     

    81 Hunter Street, Liverpool: property of James Mellor & Sons Ltd. 1937 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Islington Flags

     

    82 9 & 11 Islington Flags, Liverpool: licensed premises. 1885 (3 items).

     

    Liverpool: Longmoor Lane

     

    83 Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley: proposed tuberculosis sanatorium for city of Liverpool. nd [c1900] (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Lord Street

     

    84 59-61 Lord Street, Liverpool: business premises. 1882 (1 portfolio).

     

    85 63 Lord Street, Liverpool: Liverpool Investment Building Society building. 1886 (1 portfolio).

     

    86 63 Lord Street, Liverpool: details of masonry. 1886 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Mercer Court

     

    87 140 Mercer Court, Liverpool: premises for Liverpool Printing & Stationery Co. 1912 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Mossley Hill Road

     

    88 Holmfield House, Aigburth, for T B Royden, esq, by W Culshaw & Sons, and A Culshaw. 1876-95 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: North John Street

     

    89 North John Street and Cook Street, Liverpool: shops and offices. 1882 (1 portfolio).

     

    90 14 North John Street, Liverpool: alterations to shops. 1911 (6 items).

     

    Liverpool: Old Mill Lane

     

    91 Olive Mount, Wavertree: various buildings. 1898 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Old Hall Street

     

    92 Old Hall Street, [Liverpool]: premises for Richard Brown. 1879 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Overbury Street

     

    93 St Ann's church, Edge Hill, [Liverpool]. 1870-4 (1 portfolio).

     

    94 St Ann's church, Edge Hill: new sacristy and organ loft. 1873 (1 item).

     

    95 St Ann's schools, Edge Hill, Liverpool. nd [c1900].

     

    Liverpool: Pembroke Place

     

    96 Liverpool Royal Infirmary: alterations and nurses's homes. 1911 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Rumford Street

     

    97 Rumford Street, Liverpool: offices for H B H Blundell, esq, by W Culshaw. 1863 (1 portfolio).

     

    98 9 Rumford Street, Liverpool: details of Peter's Buildings. 1901-7 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Salisbury Street

     

    99 St Francis Xavier's church, Liverpool. 1885 (5 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: St Mary's Road

     

    100 Bank of Liverpool, Garston branch [130 St Mary's Road], by A Culshaw. 1903 (2 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Sandfield Park

     

    101 St Edward's College, Sandfield Park, West Derby. 1937 (2 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: School Lane

     

    102 Hillfoot, Woolton: details of carving on panels. 1909 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Scotland Road

     

    103 127 Scotland Road, Liverpool: details of public house. 1906 (1 item).

     

    Liverpool: Seel Street

     

    104 Seel Street, Liverpool: E & T S Young's distillery, by W Culshaw. 1855-6 (1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Silvester Street

     

    105 Silvester Street, Liverpool: details of cills for schools. 1871 (1 item).

     

    Liverpool: Smithdown Road

     

    106 Smithdown Road, [Liverpool]: branch of Bank of Liverpool, by A Culshaw. 1982 (2 portfolios).

     

    Liverpool: Thomas Drive

     

    107 Highfield Infirmary, Liverpool: dispensary fittings. nd [c1900].

     

    Liverpool: Victoria Street

     

    108 Imperial Buildings, Liverpool: aerial photograph. nd [1960s].

     

    Liverpool: Walton Breck Road

     

    109 Walton Breck Road, [Liverpool]: proposed shops and houses for Christopher Kearns, esq. nd [c1899](1 portfolio).

     

    Liverpool: Whitechapel

     

    110 Whitechapel and Victoria Street, Liverpool: London & Midland Bank, by J B Whinney. 1898 (1 portfolio).

     

    111 Whitechapel and Stanley Street, Liverpool: proposed New York Buildings for J C Baker, esq. nd [c1900] (1 item).

     

    Parbold

     

    112 Priest's House, Parbold. 1881 (1 portfolio).

     

    Preston

     

    113 St Ignatius's church, Preston. 1895 (framed).

     

    Rainhill

     

    114 Rainhill, residence for Henry Baxter, esq. 1878 (5 portfolios).

     

    Southport

     

    115 Southport and Pier: plan showing Alexandra Pier. nd [late 19thc] (1 item).

     

    Widnes

     

    116 St Mary's schools, Widnes: extensions. 1881 (1 item).

     

    LINCOLNSHIRE

     

    Holbeach

     

    117 Holbeach war memorial. 1919 (1 portfolio).

     

    SHROPSHIRE

     

    Shrewsbury

     

    118 Shrewsbury cathedral. 1872, nd (2 portfolios).

     

    119 Royal Salop Infirmary, Shrewsbury. 1923-5 (1 portfolio).

     

    STAFFORDSHIRE

     

    Haunton

     

    120 SS Michael & James's church, Haunton, near Tamworth: presbytery. 1903 (1 portfolio).

     

    Tamworth

     

    121 St John's church, Tamworth: proposed additions and alterations. 1909 (1 portfolio).

     

    WARWICKSHIRE

     

    Rugby

     

    122 St Matthew's, Rugby: interior of new chancel. nd [c1900] (2 items, framed).

     

    WESTMORLAND

     

    Levens

     

    123 Levens Hotel, Kendal: plans. 1937 (3 items).

     

    YORKSHIRE

     

    York

     

    124 Duncombe Place, York: new buildings [York Dispensary]. nd [c1896] (1 portfolio).

     

    125 York Union Bank. 1902 (7 portfolios).

     

    WALES

     

    CAERNARFONSHIRE

     

    Llandudno

     

    126 New [Roman Catholic] church, Llandudno. 1891 (2 items).

     

    DENBIGHSHIRE

     

    Chirk

     

    127 Chirk: memorial for Lady Trevor, Brynkinalt. 1905 (1 portfolio).

     

    Wrexham

     

    128 St Mary's Catholic Schools, Wrexham. 1868 (1 item).

     

    FLINTSHIRE

     

    Flint

     

    129 Ship Inn, Flint. 1924 (5 items).

     

    Mold

     

    130 Plas Annie, Mold: entrance lodge for Edward Thompson. 1875 (1 portfolio).

     

    Pantasaph

     

    131 Pantasaph: convent for St Francis' Orphanage. 1867 (1 portfolio).

Subjects:
  • Liverpool, Lancashire
  • Liverpool, Merseyside
Immediate Source Of Acquisition:
  • This catalogue has been prepared with the aid of grants from the British Library and Edmund Kirby & Sons

Sharing will require cookies. Show details

Found an error?

If you find an error with this record description let us know

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion