PARISH OF BRIGHTON, ST PETER

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of PARISH OF BRIGHTON, ST PETER
Title: PARISH OF BRIGHTON, ST PETER
Reference: PAR277
Description:

Summary of contents PAR277/1 Incumbent registers 1840-1980

 

PAR277/1/2 Baptism registers 1840-1972

 

PAR277/1/3 Registers of marriages 1873-1980

 

PAR277/1/4 Registers of Banns 1885-1974

 

PAR277/1/6 Confirmation registers 1903-1955

 

PAR277/2 Records relating to registers 1888-1954

 

PAR277/2/1 Registers of chapels of ease 1888-1954

 

PAR277/2/2 Notifications of banns of marriages 1929-1930

 

PAR277/2/3 Other records 1904

 

PAR277/2/4 Marriage licences 1874-1930

 

PAR277/3 Service Registers 1875-1967

 

PAR277/3/1 Registers of Preachers 1875-1967

 

PAR277/4 Incumbent: buildings 1823-1937

 

PAR277/4/1 Fabric 1823-1922

 

PAR277/4/2 Parsonage 1893-1921

 

PAR277/4/3 Faculties 1882-1937

 

PAR277/4/4 Fixtures and fittings 1882-1914

 

PAR277/4/5 Other churches 1871-1894

 

PAR277/5 Incumbent: licences 1847-1949

 

PAR277/5/1 Licences relating to pastoral care 1853-1872

 

PAR277/5/3 Curacy licences 1847-1961

 

PAR277/5/4 Other licences 1894-1904

 

PAR277/6 Incumbent: income 1871-1948

 

PAR277/6/1 Correspondence 1893-1934

 

PAR277/6/2 Income from pew rents 1872-1874

 

PAR277/6/3 Income from fees 1888-1948

 

PAR277/6/4 Advowsons 1895

 

PAR277/7 Incumbent: other records 1855-1924

 

PAR277/7/1 Pastoral work 1870-1924

 

PAR277/7/2 Brighton church reports collected by the Rev John Julius Hannah 1862-1884

 

PAR277/7/3 Cemetery 1856-1966

 

PAR277/7/4 Daughter parishes 1871-1916

 

PAR277/7/5 Boundaries 1872-1906

 

PAR277/7/6 Histories

 

PAR277/7/7 Non-parochial matters 1874-1877

 

PAR277/7/9 Other records 1844-1935

 

PAR277/9 Churchwardens: Accounts 1873-1943

 

PAR277/9/1 Churchwardens' ledgers 1888-1962

 

PAR277/9/2 Brighton Parish Church offertory cash books 1888-1943

 

PAR277/9/3 Brighton Parish Church cash books 1904-1940

 

PAR277/9/4 Other accounts 1888-1930

 

PAR277/10 Churchwardens: property 1902-c1925

 

PAR277/12 Vestry: Minutes 1951-1969

 

PAR277/14 Parochial Church Council: minutes 1919-1940

 

PAR277/14/1 Finance Committee 1919-1940

 

PAR277/16 PCC: Other records c1938 - c1970

 

PAR277/16/1 Electoral rolls c1938-c1970

 

PAR277/21 Tithe records 1871-1921

 

PAR277/21/1 Income from tithes 1871-1921

 

PAR277/24 Charities

 

PAR277/24/2 The Rev H M Wagner's Bequest 1870-1928

 

PAR277/24/3 Isabel Goldsmid's Invalid Charity 1882-1931

 

PAR277/24/4 Ollney's Charity 1876

 

PAR277/24/7 Hadfield's Charity 1916-1930

 

PAR277/24/8 Beach's Charity 1872-1910

 

PAR277/24/9 Pieschell's Charity 1873-1875

 

PAR277/24/10 Maria Cook's Charity 1909

 

PAR277/24/11 Edward Alexander Smith's trust 1909

 

PAR277/24/12 Soames' Girls Educational Trust 1890-1916

 

PAR277/24/13 Other charity papers 1877-1884

 

PAR277/25 Schools 1870-1967

 

PAR277/25/1 Brighton School Board 1870-1874

 

PAR277/25/3 Central National School 1885-1967

 

PAR277/25/4 St Stephen's school 1890

 

PAR277/43 Special Committees, church groups and other parish officers c1890-1938

 

PAR277/43/1 Brighton British Church Advisory Committee 1914-1918

 

PAR277/43/2 'Funderies' [fundraising] Committee 1922-1927

 

PAR277/43/3 The General Committee of the Centenary Celebrations 1923-1924

 

PAR277/43/4 Choir c1890

 

PAR277/43/5 Brighton Parish Church Society of Amateur Change Ringers c1900

 

PAR277/43/6 Brighton Parish Church Branch of the Church of England Temperance Society 1907-1917

 

PAR277/43/7 The Mens' Fellowship 1936-1938

 

PAR277/43/8 Parish Clerks 1844

 

PAR277/43/9 Sunday school 1886-c1890

 

PAR277/43/10 New Crusade [1919]-1929

 

PAR277/43/11 Parochial War Fund Committee

Date: 1840-1970
Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Administrative History:

The foundation stone of St Peter's Church was laid on 8 May 1824 following Charles Barry's successful bid to design the building. Initial plans show St Peter's was to have a spire but this design never came to fruition, presumably because of the cost it would have incurred. The church seated 1,800 people and the Commissioners for Building New Churches demanded, as a condition of their grants and loans, that a large proportion should be free. The figure was initially set at 1,100, reduced by pressure from the parish to 900 free seats.

 

St Peter's was opened on 24 January 1828. The first incumbent was the Rev Thomas Cooke (1791-1874), a close friend of Henry Wagner (1792-1870), vicar of Brighton between 1824 and 1870. Following Cooke's retirement in 1872 and Wagner's death two years later, the parish of Brighton was drastically restructured under the new Vicar of Brighton John Hannah (d1888).

 

Until 1873 the parish church of Brighton was St Nicholas, while the churches serving the newly developing urban districts in the parish were daughter churches or chapels of ease (the registers before 1873, therefore, contain entries of services performed at the various daughter churches, which were returned by the clergy concerned for inclusion in the main series. No indication is given of which church is involved, and this can only be deduced from comparison of the name of the officiating minister with the Rev G Hennessy, Chichester Diocese Clergy Lists (1900) and Crockford's Clerical Directory. Some of the chapels also kept their own series of registers while continuing to make their entries in the main parish series). In 1873 St Peter's church was constituted as the parish church of Brighton, and the parish records and administrative centre were transferred there from St Nicholas. At the same time, many of the former chapels of ease were constituted separate parish churches and began at this date, or in the following decade, to keep their own series of registers, independent of the main series.

 

The Rev John Hannah was succeeded by his son, the Rev John Julius Hannah (1845-1931) who had been the incumbent of St Nicolas since 1870. He appointed Somers Clarke to design the chapel and chancel which were completed in 1898 and 1906 respectively. These additions to the building were completed by the Rev Hannah's successor as Vicar of Brighton, Canon Benedict George Hoskyns, following Hannah's departure to become Dean of Chichester in 1902.

 

The Brighton solicitors Howlett and Clarke of Ship Street acted as vestry clerks and large numbers of parish documents can be found in deposits made by the firm at ESRO, both directly and via the Sussex Archaeological Society.

Subjects:
  • Brighton, East Sussex
  • Religious institutions
Creator Names:
  • Church of England, Brighton St Peter Parish, East Sussex
Immediate Source Of Acquisition:
  • Deposited by the incumbent and PCC, 4 December 1969 (ACC 1023), 12 May 1978 (ACC 2255), 30 July 1979 (ACC 2442), 13 June 1980 (ACC 2576), 28 August 1980 (ACC 2609), 16 February 1981 (ACC 2665)

Former Reference Department: PAR277
Related Material:
  • For faculties for the repair, re-seating and additions to St Peter Brighton, 11 Jul 1874, the erection of a chancel, additions to the nave and other buildings of St Peter Brighton, 30 Apr 1889, contract for the work on St Peter Brighton with Messrs George and Charles Lynn of Brighton, builders, 20 Aug 1889 and copy draft conveyance of churchyard adjoining St Peter Brighton, 31 Dec 1898 see HOW 33/3; for papers concerning the rebuilding of St Peter, 1818-1854 see HOW 37/1-3, 38/20; for minutes of the Building Committee, 1874-1876, see HOW 33/4; for specifications, contracts and papers concerning enlargements to the chancel and nave, and general repairs, 1874-1905, see HOW 33/1-2; for enlargement fund balance sheets, 1888-1905, see HOW 36/6-9; for correspondence and papers concerning new bells, 1913, see HOW 33/5.

Sharing will require cookies. Show details

Found an error?

If you find an error with this record description let us know

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion