Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd records
|Title:||Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd records|
Watney and Co Ltd
Combe and Co
Reid's Brewery Co Ltd
Watney, Combe, Reid and Co Ltd and Watney Mann
Deeds of Brewery Premises
Deeds of Public Houses
Other Brewery Companies
|Date:||1679 - 1968|
|Held by:||City of Westminster Archives Centre, not available at The National Archives|
Until 1898 Watney, Combe and Reid all operated separately. Watney's were at the Stag Brewery near Victoria, which had originally belonged to the Greene family from 1641 to 1787 and was then run by Moore, Elliot & Co until 1843 when the Watney family became involved. Combe's were at the Wood Yard Brewery in Castle Street (later Shelton Street) near Long Acre, which had belonged to the Gyfford family from 1739 until 1787 when it was bought by Combe, Shum and Delafield. Reid's were at the Griffin Brewery, Liquorpond Street (now Clerkenwell Road), which had belonged to the Meux family from 1763; in 1793 Reid joined them and the Wigram family also became involved from 1809.
In 1898 Watney, Combe and Reid all merged, having already taken over some additional breweries, notably the Mortlake Brewery owned by Phillips More & Co taken over by Watney's in 1889. Further companies were taken over. When the Stag Brewery was demolished, they took over the Albion Brewery in Whitechapel belonging to Mann, Crossman & Paulin in 1958 and changed their name to Watney Mann. In 1972 they were taken over by Grand Metropolitan and merged with Truman, Hanbury, Buxton & Co in 1974. The brewing interests later passed to Scottish and Newcastle, but Grand Metropolitan retained the public houses.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|