AREA 4 - CAMDEN, ISLINGTON, HACKNEY, CITY AND TOWER HAMLETS
|Title:||AREA 4 - CAMDEN, ISLINGTON, HACKNEY, CITY AND TOWER HAMLETS|
|Held by:||London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives|
The records of Area 4 have been deposited partly by the Area 4 office (Ac.70.45) and partly by Central Office. Those records deposited by Central have been distinguished as such in the list.
In the re-organisation of 1949-1950 the North and South Islington Committees and the North and South St Pancras Committees were combined to form Area 3, but with separate offices for Islington at 17 Compton Terrace, N1 and St Pancras at 80 Charrington Street, NW1. Area 4 comprised Holborn, Finsbury, City, Stepney and Poplar with offices at 59 Myddelton Square, EC1. Area 5 consisted of Bethnal Green, Shoreditch, Hackney and Stoke Newington with offices at 10 Hoxton Square, N1. In a further re-organisation at the end of 1953 the St Pancras and Bethnal Green offices were closed. St Pancras, Area 4 and Area 5 amalgamated as Area 4. Islington continued as Area 3 with the addition of Stoke Newington. In 1965 the Area 3 offices closed and Islington and Stoke Newington merged with Area 4 so that FWA area boundaries coincided with the new London borough boundaries.