IMPROVED INDUSTRIAL DWELLINGS COMPANY LIMITED
|Title:||IMPROVED INDUSTRIAL DWELLINGS COMPANY LIMITED|
|Held by:||London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives|
These records have been passed on through a number of property companies and, although not extensive, give a valuable insight into one of the commercial developers in social housing.
This commercial company developed high density housing blocks for artisans in Central London. It was founded by Sydney Waterlow in 1863 in the same period in which much philanthropic housing was being built : the Society for Improving the Condition of the Labouring Classes was founded in 1844 (see ACC/3445/SIC) and Peabody Donation Fund was founded in 1862 (see ACC/3445/PT).
The Company started with an initial capital of £50,000 and its shareholders included MPs, lawyers, builders and merchants. It built in blocks of 5-7 storeys providing self-contained flats for artisans. By 1871 over 1,000 dwellings were occupied and the company profits grew above the 5 per cent dividend paid. It worked from standard plans (prepared by a surveyor rather than an architect, see LMA/4013/01/01) and built many estates including Wapping, Cromwell Buildings Southwark, King's Cross Road, Old St. Pancras Road, Greenwich, High Street Islington, and Bethnal Green.
|Link to NRA Record:|