Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue DD

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue DD
Title: Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue DD
Reference: AMSDD
Description:

Since it opened, East Sussex Record Office has maintained a collection of 'Additional Manuscripts' for accessions which are not assigned, or are not accrued to existing collections which have, a distinctive alphabetic reference based on the collection's title. The Additional Manuscripts collection is now known as AMS

 

Some of these accessions added to AMS have been returned to A2A as free-standing catalogues. The residue are being returned as a series of catalogues, each covering a range of AMS numbers. The summary list below covers all the accessions within that range, with notes against those which are the subject of separate catalogues or which have been transferred to other collections or other repositories. The main body of the catalogue notes only the reference and the fact of the separate catalogue or the transfer

 

Summary of contents

 

AMS6521 Lewes railway photographs, 1930s; papers concerning Dudeney's School, Lewes, 1837-1981

 

AMS6522 Order-book of an Eastbourne printer [?V T Sumfield], 1894-1898

 

AMS6523 Map of Sackville Pope's manor of Little Horsted and Horsted Pond Farm by John de Ward; shows a bowling green; 1622

 

AMS6524 Copy weekly letters of Robert Saunders, headmaster of Fletching School, to his son in Canada; Maresfield Camp, Zeppelin raids, women, propaganda; 1914-1918

 

AMS6525 Maps of Giles Watts's Witheris (modern Ponts Farm) in Burwash by John Stonestreet, 1726; Lord Abergavenny's Whalesbeech in East Grinstead (leased to Henry Compton) [by Edward Gier and Clement Stoakes], c1650; Thomas Crisford's Little Nortons and Neatenden in Westfield by Thomas Colbran, 1785; John Crisford's Late Friends in Westfield by William Catt, 1798

 

AMS6526 Beechings in Etchingham (Alchorne-Roberts, before 1669) and Beechings in Salehurst (Ockley-Greenstreet-Frencham-Roberts); both properties (Roberts-Constable); 1710

 

AMS6527 Map of John Luck's Tanyard and Theobalds Farm in Waldron and Heathfield by William Taylor, 1742

 

AMS6528 Thurston Brothers Ltd, butchers, 188 High Street, Uckfield, 1850-1999

 

Separately catalogued for A2A

 

AMS6529 Correspondence files of Bennett & Sayer of Derby, claywoking equipment manufacturers, with Hastings CB (Great Sanders Water Scheme, 1929), Deanland Wood estate Hellingly, 1931, Benjamin Ware & Sons of Uckfield (press for proof roof-tiles, 1934), Burtenshaw & Green, Hailsham (clay-crushing machine, 1936) and Sussex Tileries, Horam (pugmill, 1943-1944); brickmaking

 

AMS6530 Sharps Reed Farm Mayfield (Relfe-Peckham-Sands-Moon-Sprott-Smith; Hays), brickworks; [1648]-1884; property in Mayfield late Thomas Houghton (barn under the town and land), Brewer-Hooper, 1683

 

AMS6531 Appointment of William Dallet as surveyor of customs, Rye, 1647, with printed parliamentary papers (petition concerning the Five Members case 1642 and ordinance concerning a duty for redeeming captives, 1647)

 

AMS6532 Transcript of diaries of Thomas Turner of East Hoathly, 1754-1765

 

AMS6533 Apprenticeship, Paine of Hastings to Thunder and Wood of Brighton, carpenters; 1777

 

AMS6534 Petition of George Barnsley to Heneage Finch, lord keeper, for the rectory of Sedlescombe on the recommendation of John Sharpe, 1674

 

AMS6535 Deeds and documents of the Horsted Place estate, Little Horsted: 1 deeds, Horsted Place (Law-Barchard, 1849); Hunningtons Farm (Barry-Barchard, [1831]-1850); advowson of Little Horsted, Hensmans Croft and Worms Croft (Hubbard-Simpson-Barchard), [1829]-1851; Barretts Churchland marshland at Horsey in Pevensey (Hicks schoolmaster-Barchard), [1732]-1853; Framfield manor copyhold at Ridgewood in Uckfield (Barton-Kenward-Donovan, Relf-Donovan, Kenward-Barchard), [1834]-1859; manor of Worth, Home Place and land in Little Horsted (Smyth-Vincent-Lane-Barchard), [1737]-1866, with release of seignory by Sheffield manor, 1866; whole estate and schedule of deeds, 1895-1950; 2 tenancy agreements, wayleaves and insurance, 1935-1965; 3 abstracts of title and sales off, 1920-1975

 

AMS6536 Deeds of property in Ferry Road and Tillingham Avenue, Rye; 1756-1961

 

AMS6537 Counterpart lease of Knights Hall, Hartfield (Sackville-Pope), 1680

 

AMS6538 Sussex Daily News, 1907-1911, 1913-1956

 

Separately catalogued for A2A

 

AMS6539 Prospectus for Eastbourne College, c1937

 

AMS6540 The Regency Town House, Brunswick Square, Hove, reports and publications, 1997-1999

 

AMS6541 Copies of documents relating to Winchelsea and the manor of Iham in the Petworth House Archives, [1486]-1771

 

AMS6542 Documents relating to Robert George, White Eastbourne Poor Law Union relieving officer (1869/70-1939), Stephen Fergus Champ (1907-1984) and his wife Marion White (1908-1976); Eastbourne School of Art; New Zealand; Eric Ravilious; Camois Court Barcombe

 

AMS6543 Records of the Brighton and Sussex Mutual Provident Society, 1846-1924

 

AMS6544 The Downs Ladies School, Sutton Road, Seaford; nd, 1920s

 

Separately catalogued for A2A

 

AMS6545 Houses on the north side of Blucher Place, Brighton (Hunt-Still-Shrivell-Saunders), [1817]-1846

 

AMS6546 Copy (from XA 69) manor of Framfield court book, with modem index, 1665-1675

 

AMS6547 Copy documents relating to Bodiam Mill: will of Robert Cryer of Sandhurst, 1488; will of Vincent Finch of Sandhurst and Battle (manor of Whatlington, tenement of Wood Place and lands, tenements and mills in Battle, Sedlescombe, Mountfield and Whatlington; lands and tenements at Pluckley in Kent; manor of Lewens in Hailsham; field at Sandhurst bought of Patynden; lands and tenements in Ewhurst and in the borough of Battle, and in Wittersham, Stone and Lydd in Kent; profits of Cukkowfeld in Sandhurst), 1524; quitclaim of Hills and Pedills in Halden Park in Kent (Fowle-crown), 1546

 

AMS6548 Photocopies of documents relating to the Carr family of Pricketts Hatch Farm in Fletching and Maresfield; [1743]-1970

 

AMS6549 Garages (formerly a blacksmith's shop) at Westgate Street, Lewes (waste-Neal-Reeves-Belton-Geall-Philcox), 1818-1967

 

AMS6550 Letter from George Chisman, Iden, to his landlord Ralph Freake, esq, at Sir Thomas Culpepper's place at Hollingbourne in Kent; his tenancy of Barons Grange, Iden; mentions former tenant, the widow of [William] Borden, with extensive comment on the state of the building; 2 Oct 1649

Date: 1622-1999
Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Extent: 27 Accessions
Subjects:
  • East Sussex
  • Land tenure
Creator Names:
  • East Sussex Record Office, Lewes
Conditions of access:

Open to consultation, unless otherwise stated

Sharing will require cookies. Show details

Found an error?

If you find an error with this record description let us know

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion