COMMITTEE OF VISITORS RECORDS
|Title:||COMMITTEE OF VISITORS RECORDS|
|Held by:||Oxfordshire History Centre, not available at The National Archives|
The Committee of Visitors (Committee of Visitors) was composed of Justices of the Peace, and after 1888, councillors from those bodies with a share in the Union. The sub-committees were nominated from the Committee of Visitors every year. Although it was the Committee of Visitors who had the theoretically greater authority, including the power to discharge patients, it was the Finance and Repairs Committee which grew to oversee the general decisions affecting the day to day running of the asylum. Both committees were served by the same clerk who kept the minute books and dealt with correspondence.