Comyns family of Wood, Bishopsteignton
|Title:||Comyns family of Wood, Bishopsteignton|
Title deeds, Mortgages, copy title deeds, title abstracts and schedules, marriage settlements, family and other settlements, wills and admonisitions, Leases, Comyns Church appointments, estate records, legal bonds, court papers etc., rectory and advowson, Manorial, inclosure, Navy (including papers concerning pay and prize money of the Napoleonic Wars); parish records, Local Authorities, railways and Golf club
|Held by:||Devon Heritage Centre (South West Heritage Trust), not available at The National Archives|
The collection deposited by B. Comyns, Esq., of Bishopsteignton is largely concerned with the manors of Bishopsteignton and Radway. Originally it had been part of the demesnes of the See of Exeter; but in 1549 it was alienated to Sir Andrew Dudley. The properties went thence to the Cecil, Martyn and Lear families; and thence by marriage to Thomas Comyns who died 1777.
This once ecclesiastical estate was held by 3 successive parson generations of Comyns. As well as the Manors of Bishopsteignton and Radway, the Advowson of Bishopsteignton was included, and there were properties in Wood, and Ashill (Bishopsteignton), Derby (Kingsteignton) and, through marriage, properties in Dawlish, West Teignmouth and Ilsington.
Families connected with the Comyns include Lear, Cove and Goss, all local families. Radway was the site of the Bishops Palace and many of the deeds mention it by the name of Old Walls.
|Conditions of access:||
These records are available for research. Notice may be required to produce them in the searchroom.
|Link to NRA Record:|