NUFFIELD FOUNDATION SCIENCE TEACHING PROJECT
|Title:||NUFFIELD FOUNDATION SCIENCE TEACHING PROJECT|
|Reference:||KCLCA CNU, 1993/NUFF, 1994/CDD, 1995/CNU, 1996/CNU|
Records of the Nuffield Foundation Science Teaching Project (NFSTP), 1949-1993 but mainly dating from the 1960s and 1970s, including general administrative papers, 1961-1974; the Secondary Science Education Programme, 1965-1974; the Junior Science Project, 1960-1974; the Combined Science Project, 1964-1970; A-level in Physical Sciences, 1955-1974; Physics A- and O-level, 1963-1972; Chemistry O-level, 1962-1974; Chemistry A-level, 1962-1974; Biology O-level, 1962-c1973; Biology A-level, 1963-1972; records relating to publications, also including material on NFSTP administration, 1949-1992; published texts, 1960-1993; and film loops and accompanying teaching notes, 1966-1978, for various subjects and age groups.
|Held by:||London University: King's College Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Extent:||591 boxes (including one outsize), 2 files|
|Restriction on use:||
Photocopies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services, King's College London.
The Nuffield Foundation was created in 1943 with a benefaction from William Richard Morris, Lord Nuffield, of shares to the value of ten million pounds in Morris Motors Ltd. The annual income of the Foundation (in 1965, two and a half million pounds) was divided between various fields of activity including medical, biological and other scientific research, and the advancement of education. In December 1961 the Trustees of the Foundation agreed to set aside £250,000 towards a comprehensive programme to further the teaching of science and mathematics in schools. Details of the programme were publicly announced in the House of Commons by Sir David Eccles, Minister of Education. In physics, chemistry and biology a full-time organiser was appointed to lead the work of the section, each backed by a small consultative committee, and based at the Foundation's headquarters at Chelsea College, London. In 1964 the Trustees recognised that the development of O-level courses would make necessary the development of materials for A-level students. Plans were drawn up for programmes of development leading to A-level courses in biology, physics, chemistry, and physical sciences, using material drawn from both chemistry and physics. A-level courses were introduced into trial schools in September 1966 in chemistry, physical science and biology, and A-level examinations provided between 1968 and 1970 in those subjects and in physics. Working parties, variously composed but generally including a university professor, a university lecturer, a school teacher and a member of the headquarters team, served the projects. They aimed to provide expert advice on content and methods of presentation and to ensure that the approach adopted was suited to the needs of future university students.
|Unpublished Finding Aids:||
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Conditions of access:||
Open, subject to signature of reader's undertaking form.
|Link to NRA Record:|