Records of the West Grinstead Stud
|Title:||Records of the West Grinstead Stud|
|Reference:||Add Mss 41,180 - 41,211|
|Held by:||West Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives|
John Peter Hornung, a sugar planter with Portuguese East African interests, purchased the manor of West Grinstead and the manor house, West Grinstead Park, from Sir Merrik Burrell in 1913.
He was interested in the breeding and racing of horses, and took over bloodstock and racing stables at Woodland and Green Lodge, Newmarket, in 1924. He also started a stud for breeding race horses at Park Farm, the home farm of the West Grinstead Park Estate, and registered this as the West Grinstead Stud on 20 March 1924.
The stud was run by J.P. Hornung, with his two sons, Colonel Charles Bernard Raphael Hornung of Ivory's Farm, West Grinstead, and Captain George Hornung of West Grinstead Lodge.
In February 1940 J.P. Hornung died, and West Grinstead Park was sold. The stud farm was taken over as a branch of the National Stud in 1949, but Colonel C.B.R. Hornung founded a successor stud at High Hurst Manor Farm, in Cowfold, in 1950.
The Newmarket property at Woodland and Green Lodge was sold off, and in February 1964, on the death of Colonel Hornung, the stud in West Sussex passed to his eldest son, Lieutenant-Colonel Sir John Derek Hornung, of Ivory's. He died in August 1978, and was succeeded by his younger brother, Mr. Stephen Peter Hornung, of The Warren, Itchingfield. The estate in West Grinstead and Cowfold was split up, and the stud was put into voluntary liquidation on 23 March 1984.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||