TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KING CHARLES THE MARTYR PARISH RECORDS
|Title:||TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KING CHARLES THE MARTYR PARISH RECORDS|
These records reflect the activities of the parish of Tunbridge Wells, King Charles the Martyr, Kent. As well as records of the incumbent minister, which include registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, they also contain records, where they survive, of the churchwardens, the parish constable, the overseers of the poor and the parish surveyor.
|Held by:||Kent History and Library Centre, not available at The National Archives|
[Note: p371e/1/2-10 are small exercise books and are probably the draft registers kept on behalf of Tonbridge and Speldhurst parishes. It would appear that those baptisms concerning persons born in the Tonbridge part of the chapelry were entered separately from those from the Speldhurst area. The provenance of the books is unknown; they were located in Surrey in 1977 and transferred per the Genealogical Society of Utah on 24 February 1977.
Originally the church, financed through public subscription in the reign of Charles II, acted as a chapel of ease to Speldhurst, Frant and Tonbridge parishes. King Charles the Martyr did not become a separate ecclesiastical parish until 1889.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|