CHRISTIAN FAITH SOCIETY
|Title:||CHRISTIAN FAITH SOCIETY|
This list is divided into the following sections:
(A) Charters etc.
(B) Proceedings in Chancery concerning the grant of the first charter, 1788-94.
(C) Proceedings in Chancery concerning the grant of the second charter, 1834-5.
(D) Minutes, 1794-1956.
(E) Treasurer's accounts and subscriptions, 1793-1972.
(F) Correspondence and papers, 1842-1929.
(G) Maps and miscellaneous papers, 1724-1849.
|Date:||1724 - 1972|
|Held by:||Lambeth Palace Library, not available at The National Archives|
The Society originated in a bequest by Robert Boyle in 1691 for advancing religion amongst infidels. Until the American War of Independence the rents of an estate at Brafferton, Yorks., were remitted to William and Mary College, Virginia. In 1794 the charity was reconstituted as The Society for the Conversion and Religious Instruction and Education of the Negro Slaves in the British West-India Islands, and in 1836 after the abolition of slavery as The Society for Advancing the Christian Faith in the British West-India Islands, and elsewhere, in the Dioceses of Jamaica, and of the Barbadoes and the Leeward Islands, and in the Mauritius. A supplemental charter was issued on 29 October 1962. See The two charters of the Society for Advancing the Christian Faith ... to which is prefixed a short account of the charitable fund, 1836.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|