MATERNITY NURSING ASSOCIATION
|Title:||MATERNITY NURSING ASSOCIATION|
The records of the association consist of council and committee minutes (4 volumes), annual reports (9 volumes), wages book (1 volume), analysis of expenditure (1 volume) and a book of newspaper cuttings and copies of leaflets concerning the association.
|Held by:||London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives|
The Maternity Nursing Association was started in 1897 by Miss Edith May. Miss May had trained as a midwife in 1892, and returned to her home parish of St Jude, Gray's Inn Road to practise. She united this parish with her father's parish of St Andrew, Holborn, to form the Maternity Nursing Mission which was based in 2 flats in King's Cross Road.
The mission opened on Mar 25 1897 but has since been called the Maternity Nursing Association. Its aim was to enable women to be attended in their own homes by fully qualified nurses, to receive pupils for training and to provide Maternity and Infant Welfare Centres.
After the advent of the National Health Service in 1948 the association came under the control of the Northern Group Hospital Management Committee, but in 1954 was transferred to London County Council control.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|