North Eastern Electricity Board

Sample image

This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives

Details of North Eastern Electricity Board
Title: North Eastern Electricity Board
Reference: DU.EB
Description:

This collection is divided into seven major sections:-

 

(1) North Eastern Electric Supply Company

 

(2) Companies taken over by N.E.S.C.O.

 

(3) Subsidiary companies of N.E.S.C.O.

 

(4) Independent companies

 

(5) Umbrella organisations

 

(6) Carliol House Ltd

 

(7) Acts and bills

 

North Eastern Electric Supply Company

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/1/1-DU.EB/1/20 Directors meeting minutes, 1888 - 1948

 

(20 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/2/1-DU.EB/2/2 General meeting minutes, 1889 - 1948

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/3 Debenture Stockholders meeting minutes, 1916 - 1920

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/36/1-DU.EB/36/3 Reports on the position of the Company, 1903 - 1906

 

(3 Printed volumes)

 

DU.EB/4/1-DU.EB/4/4 Routine Committee minutes, 1909 - 1921

 

(4 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/5/1-DU.EB/5/9 Staff Committee minutes, 1900 - 1946

 

(3 Volumes, 7 files)

 

DU.EB/6/1-DU.EB/6/2 Indices to Staff Committee minutes, 1909 - 1946

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/7/1-DU.EB/7/3 Directors Meetings agenda books, 1927 - 1938

 

(3 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/8/1-DU.EB/8/2 Staff Meetings agenda books, 1905 - 1938

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/9/1-DU.EB/9/5 Work in progress reports, 1899 - 1937

 

(5 Files)

 

DU.EB/10/1-DU.EB/10/8 Other reports, 1889 - 1933

 

(8 Files)

 

DU.EB/11/1-DU.EB/11/41 Chairman's files for the A.G.M., 1907 - 1948

 

(41 Files)

 

DU.EB/12/1-DU.EB/12/2 Chairman's files for Extraordinary General Meetings, 1906 - 1919

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/13 Chairman's file for the First and Second Debenture Stockholders' meetings, 1919

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/14/1-DU.EB/14/2 Notices of meetings and resolutions, 1905 - 1936

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/40 Rules, regulations and standing orders, 1946

 

(1 Printed volume)

 

DU.EB/59 Directory of information and instructions for general administration, 1937 - 1948

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/15/1-DU.EB/15/2 General correspondence, 1904 - 1946

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/16/1-DU.EB/16/9 Individual correspondence files, 1901 - 1921

 

(10 Files, 16 papers)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/17/1-DU.EB/17/26 Registers of ordinary and preference shares, c. 1901 - 1948

 

(26 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/18/1-DU.EB/18/18 Registers of shareholders [closed accounts], c.1899 - 1948

 

(18 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/19/1-DU.EB/19/16 Registers of Shareholders [closed accounts], c. 1894 - 1932

 

(16 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/20/1-DU.EB/20/4 Registers of 3 3/4% consolidated debenture stock, c. 1916 - 1948

 

(4 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/21 Register of 3 3/4% consolidated debenture stock [closed accounts] c. 1916 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/22/1-DU.EB/22/4 Registers of 3 1/2% consolidated debenture stock, c. 1933 - 1948

 

(4 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/23/1-DU.EB/23/2 Registers of 3 1/2% consolidated debenture stock [closed accounts], c. 1934 - 1947

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/24/1-DU.EB/24/2 Registers of 3 1/4% consolidated debenture stock, c. 1935 - 1949

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/25 Register of 3 1/4% consolidated debenture stock [closed accounts], c. 1935 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/26/1-DU.EB/26/3 Registers of transfers of 5% preference shares, 1928 - 1936

 

(3 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/27/1-DU.EB/27/2 Registers of transfers of 7% preference shares, 1930 - 1936

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/28 Register of transfers of consolidated first mortgage debenture stock, 1931 - 1934

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/29/1-DU.EB/29/3 Summaries of share transfers authorised, 1940 - 1948

 

(3 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/30/1-DU.EB/30/5 Stocks and Shares issue prospectuses, 1904 - 1909

 

(3 Booklets, 6 papers)

 

DU.EB/31/1-DU.EB/31/12 Stocks and Shares issue files, 1900 - 1949

 

(14 Files, 3 papers)

 

DU.EB/32/1-DU.EB/32/3 Debenture stock files, 1911 - 1950

 

(3 Files)

 

DU.EB/33/1-DU.EB/33/6 Trust deeds for securing consolidated debenture stock, 1913 - 1942

 

(6 Booklets)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/34 Annual reports and statements of account, 1889 - 1948

 

(1 File)

 

See also DU.EB/11

 

DU.EB/35/1-DU.EB/35/2 Balance sheets with related papers, 1908 - 1948

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/37 Register of mortgages, 1902 - 1942

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/38 Estimates of expenditure for Durham Power Station, 1908 - 1914

 

(1 Booklet)

 

DU.EB/39 Graph showing capital expenditure and interest payable, 1901 - 1903

 

(1 Paper)

 

DU.EB/51 Abstracts of supply statistics for the Company produced by the Electricity Commissioners, 1941

 

(1 File)

 

Employees records

 

DU.EB/41/1-DU.EB/41/2 Accident and compensation record books, 1919 - 1956

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/42 Salary and wage papers with related correspondence, 1909 - 1919

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/43 Lists of staff appointments and respective duties, c. 1899 - 1931

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/44/1-DU.EB/44/2 Staff grading scheme papers, 1930 - 1937

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/45 Military Service and holiday notes, 1939

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/46 Economic Shopping Guild (formerly Electric Supply Shopping Guild) papers, 1928

 

(1 File)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/47 Chancery Court proceedings concerning a lawsuit with Newcastle Corporation over the supply of electricity to tramways, 1904 - 1911

 

(2 Printed booklets, 5 files, 10 papers)

 

DU.EB/48 Copy opinion as to memorandum and articles of association, 1905

 

(1 File, 3 papers)

 

DU.EB/49 Certificate of change of name to the North Eastern Electric Supply Company, 1932

 

(1 Paper)

 

DU.EB/50 Papers concerning the lease of the Hebburn and the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Stations, 1907 - 1909

 

(38 Papers)

 

Production and Sales

 

DU.EB/52 Specification for supply to the North Skelton to Carlin How pole line, 1908

 

(1 Booklet)

 

Plant and Property

 

DU.EB/53/1-DU.EB/53/5 Plans, 1926 - 1932

 

(4 Papers, 2 printed papers, 1 dyeline)

 

DU.EB/54 Valuation of assets of the North East coast undertakings, 1919 - 1920

 

(1 File)

 

Publicity

 

DU.EB/55/1-DU.EB/55/6 Year books, 1933 - 1939

 

(6 Booklets)

 

DU.EB/56 "Official Photographs" albumn, includes electrified railway lines, trams etc, n.d. [c. 1915 - 1946]

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/57 Index to DU.EB/56

 

(1 File, 3 papers)

 

DU.EB/58/1-DU.EB/58/21 Other photographs, 1923 - 1946

 

(34 Photographs, 2 papers)

 

DU.EB/60/1-DU.EB/60/7 Publications, 1911 - 1966

 

(6 Printed booklets, 1 printed paper)

 

Companies taken over by N.E.S.C.O.

 

Durham Collieries Electric Power Company Ltd

 

DU.EB/61 Statutory general meeting minutes, 1905 - 1912

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/62 Prospectus of 5% issue of first mortgage debentures, 1907

 

(1 Paper)

 

DU.EB/63/1-DU.EB/63/2 General correspondence and related papers, 1905 - 1914

 

(2 Files)

 

Hexham and District Electric Supply Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/64 Draft memorandum and articles of association, n.d. [c. 1905]

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/65 Certificate of incorporation, 1905

 

(1 Paper)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/66/1-DU.EB/66/2 Share issue prospectuses, 1904 - 1905

 

(3 Papers)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/67/1-DU.EB/67/5 Annual reports and statements of account, 1908 - 1914

 

(4 Printed files, 4 printed papers)

 

DU.EB/70 Dividend statements, 1931 - 1933

 

(1 File)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/68 Electric lighting order papers, 1904 - 1905

 

(2 Files, 2 papers)

 

Plant and property

 

DU.EB/69 Plan showing area of supply, n.d. [20 cent]

 

(1 Paper)

 

Subsidiary companies of N.E.S.C.O.

 

Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/71/1-DU.EB/71/4 Directors meeting minutes, 1906 - 1932

 

(4 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/72 Shareholders meeting minutes, 1906 - 1932

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/73 Directors committee minutes, 1906 - 1907

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/74/1-DU.EB/74/2 Notices, 1907

 

(2 Printed papers)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/75 List of some of the principle shareholders, 1906

 

(6 Papers)

 

DU.EB/76 Share issue prospectus of 70,000 5% preference shares and 70,000 6% ordinary shares both at £5 each

 

(1 Printed booklet, 1 printed paper)

 

DU.EB/77 Particulars of the shares and debentures issued by the Northern Counties Company, Cleveland and Durham County Company, and the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Ltd., 1906

 

(5 Papers)

 

DU.EB/78/1-DU.EB/78/3 Trust deeds for securing debenture stock, 1904 - 1918

 

(2 Printed files, 1 printed booklet)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/79 Directors reports and statements of accounts (as presented by the Board of Trade), 1904 - 1931

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/80 Interest ledger, 1905 - 1907

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/81 Capital estimates programme, approved by the Board, 1928 - 1930

 

(1 File)

 

Production and sales

 

DU.EB/82/1-DU.EB/82/7 Specifications, 1906 - 1907

 

(7 Files)

 

DU.EB/83 Contract with the Electrical Company Ltd for underground cable work, transformers and switchgear, 1907

 

(1 Printed booklet)

 

Plant and property

 

DU.EB/84 Diagram showing certain trunk mains in the Tees area, 1921

 

(1 Paper)

 

Cleveland and Durham County Electric Power Company Ltd

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/85/1-DU.EB/85/2 Register of shareholders and summary, 1904 - 1932

 

(2 Volumes)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/86 Annual report and statement of accounts, 1911

 

(1 Printed paper)

 

Employees records

 

DU.EB/87 Staff record book, 1908

 

(1 Volume)

 

Plant and property

 

DU.EB/88/1-DU.EB/88/2 Plans, 1931 - 1938

 

(77 Papers)

 

Northern Counties Electricity Supply Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/89 Memorandum and articles of association, 1900

 

(1 Printed booklet)

 

DU.EB/90/1-DU.EB/90/3 Directors meetings minutes, 1901 - 1932

 

(3 Volumes)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/91 List of shareholders, lists shares to be sold to Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Ltd., 1906

 

(1 File)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/92/1-DU.EB/92/5 Directors reports and statements of account, 1905 - 1915

 

(5 Printed files)

 

DU.EB/93 Draft ledger - opening arrangements, n.d. [c.1905]

 

(1 File, 2 papers)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/94 Parliamentary notice of intent to bring in a Bill to alter agreements with Hebburn and Felling U.D.C.s over supply of electricity, 1912

 

(1 Printed paper)

 

County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/95/1-DU.EB/95/7 Directors meeting minutes, 1899 - 1932

 

(8 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/96 Prospective directors informal meeting minutes, 1905

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/97/1-DU.EB/97/2 General meeting minutes, 1899 - 1932

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/98/1-DU.EB/98/2 Routine Committee minutes, 1909 - 1916

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/99 Directors meeting agendas, 1921 - 1931

 

(1 Volume)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/100/1-DU.EB/100/3 Share capital prospectus, 1904 - 1907

 

(1 File, 1 printed booklet, 4 papers)

 

DU.EB/101 Dividends and interest papers, 1905 - 1931

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/102 Copy trust deed for securing first mortgage debenture stock, 1907

 

(1 Printed booklet)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/103/1-DU.EB/103/4 Directors report and statement of account, 1907 - 1918

 

(4 Printed files)

 

DU.EB/104 Capital commitments, 1899 - 1904

 

(1 File)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/113 Inland revenue court papers, 1909

 

(2 Files, 2 papers)

 

County of Durham Electrical Power Supply Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/105/1-DU.EB/105/4 Directors meeting minutes, 1901 - 1932

 

(4 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/106 General meeting minutes, 1900 - 1932

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/107 Routine committee minutes, 1910 - 1916

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/108 Directors meeting agendas, 1925 - 1932

 

(1 Volume)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/109/1-DU.EB/109/2 Directors reports and statements of accounts, 1908 - 1918

 

(2 Printed papers)

 

DU.EB/110 Accountant's reports, 1903 - 1909

 

(1 File)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/111 Act for incorporating and conferring powers upon the Company, 1900

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/112 Copy agreement for the supply of electricity to the Sunderland District Electric Tramways Ltd, 1905

 

(1 File)

 

Houghton le Spring and District Electric Lighting Company Ltd

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/114 Dividends and interest papers, 1914 - 1931

 

(1 File)

 

Tees Power Station Company Ltd

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/115 Trust deed for securing first mortgage debentures, 1918

 

(1 Printed booklet)

 

DU.EB/116 Dividends and interest papers, 1918 - 1931

 

(1 File)

 

Plant and property

 

DU.EB/117 Proposed North Tees Power Station papers, 1917

 

(6 Papers)

 

DU.EB/118/1-DU.EB/118/2 Plans of North Tees Transforming Station - proposed site, 1930

 

(2 Papers)

 

Bankfoot Power Company

 

DU.EB/119 Correspondence, includes articles of association, 1908, share papers and reports, 1907 - 1910

 

(1 File)

 

Independent Companies

 

Askrigg and Reeth Electric Supply Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/120 Directors and general meeting minutes, 1931 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/121 Ledger, 1931 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

Hawes Electric Lighting Company Ltd

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/122/1-DU.EB/122/2 Registers of members and share ledgers, 1920 - 1948

 

(2 Volumes)

 

Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Company Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/162 Memorandum and articles of association, 1889, revised 1930

 

(1 Printed booklet)

 

DU.EB/123/1-DU.EB/123/3 Directors meeting minutes with indices, 1902 - 1948

 

(5 Volumes, 1 file)

 

DU.EB/124 General meeting minutes, 1889 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/125 Agendas, 1890 - 1892

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/126 Register of directors 1901 - 1917

 

(1 Volume, 1 paper)

 

DU.EB/127 Unidentified index, n.d. [early 20 cent]

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/128 Notices of meetings and resolutions, 1905 - 1931

 

(9 Papers, 2 files)

 

DU.EB/129 Private letter book, 1908 - 1926

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/130/1-DU.EB/130/7 Correspondence files, 1890 - 1938

 

(15 Files, 9 papers)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/131/1-DU.EB/131/8 Register of members and share ledgers, 1889 - 1948

 

(10 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/132 Cleared out share ledger, DISCO, 1911 - 1947

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/133/1-DU.EB/133/6 Registers of transfers of shares, 1890 - 1948

 

(6 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/134/1-DU.EB/134/2 Registers of transfers of shares, and new allotment numbers, 1927 - 1933

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/135 Register of debenture stockholdings, 1905 - 1932

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/136 Register of debentures [one entry only], 1939 - 1950

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/137/1-DU.EB/137/2 Debenture ledgers, 1905 - 1948

 

(3 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/138 Register of transfers of debenture stock, 1906 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/139 Register of transfers of 6% second mortgage debentures, 1912 - 1933

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/140 Register of deaths of shareholders, 1930 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/141/1-DU.EB/141/5 Stocks and share issue prospectuses, 1889 - 1922

 

(6 Papers)

 

DU.EB/142/1-DU.EB/142/5 Trust deeds for mortgage debenture stock, 1905 - 1922

 

(5 Parchment files, 1 file, 1 paper)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/143/1-DU.EB/143/56 Directors reports and statements of account, 1889 - 1944

 

(57 Papers)

 

DU.EB/144/1-DU.EB/144/3 Registers of transfers of bonds, mortgages etc, 1893 - 1947

 

(3 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/145 Register of mortgages and charges affecting property, 1905 - 1945

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/146/1-DU.EB/146/2 Capital expenditure of substations, 1903 - 1948

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/147 Capital expenditure and accounts, 1908

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/148/1-DU.EB/148/2 Details of second hand plants for sale, 1917 - 1919

 

(3 Files, 1 paper)

 

DU.EB/149 Director's fees, 1908

 

(1 Paper)

 

Employees records

 

DU.EB/150 Summary of wages, 1908

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/151 Summary of salaries, 1908

 

(1 Paper)

 

DU.EB/152 Superannuation Fund trustees report, 1949

 

(1 File)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/153 Certificate of incorporation, 1889

 

(1 Paper)

 

DU.EB/154 Register of Seals, 1902 - 1948

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/155 Agreements signed, 1928 - 1947

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/156/1-DU.EB/156/11 Agreements, 1890 - 1945

 

(15 Files, 5 papers)

 

DU.EB/157/1-DU.EB/157/2 Licences, 1889 - 1937

 

(3 Files)

 

DU.EB/158/1-DU.EB/158/3 Provisional orders, 1891 - 1902

 

(6 Files, 3 papers)

 

DU.EB/159/1-DU.EB/159/2 Newcastle and District Electricity (Amendment) special orders, 1932 - 1937

 

(3 Files, 2 papers)

 

DU.EB/160/1-DU.EB/160/2 Petitions against Newcastle Corporation bills, 1911 - 1935

 

(2 Files, 1 paper)

 

DU.EB/161 Schedule of deeds and documents held by Lloyd's Bank for the trustees of the Debenture Stock-holders, 1833 - 1848

 

(3 Files, 1 paper)

 

Plant and property

 

DU.EB/163/1-DU.EB/163/2 Plans, 1921 - 1943

 

(3 Papers)

 

Umbrella Organisations

 

Incorporated Association of Electric Power Companies

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/164 Memorandum and articles of association, 1905

 

(1 Printed booklet)

 

DU.EB/165/1-DU.EB/165/2 Secretary's Committee meeting minutes, 1933 - 1946

 

(6 Files)

 

DU.EB/166 Extracts from Secretary's Committee minutes, 1941 - 1943

 

(11 Papers)

 

DU.EB/167 Secretary's reports, 1941 - 1945

 

(7 Files, 4 papers)

 

DU.EB/168 Correspondence, 1938 - 1947

 

(1 File)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/169/1-DU.EB/169/5 Council reports and statements of accounts, 1939 - 1945

 

(5 Printed files)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/170 Memorandum about the Electricity (Supply) Bill, 1919

 

(3 Papers)

 

Central Electricity Board

 

DU.EB/171 Annual report, 1939

 

(1 Printed volume)

 

DU.EB/172/1-DU.EB/172/2 Statements of account, 1938 - 1939

 

(2 Printed volumes)

 

British Electrical Authority (N.E.S.C.O.)

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/173/1-DU.EB/173/5 First report, 1947 - 1949

 

(5 Printed booklets)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/174 Investment certificates and papers, 1916 - 1959

 

(1 File)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/175 Weekly payments, 1938 - 1961

 

(1 Volume)

 

Publications

 

DU.EB/176 National Supply Survey: Electrical Assessment of the 14 areas reprinted from the "Electric Review", 1949 - 1956

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/177 Memorandum to Select Committee on Nationalised Industries, 1962

 

(1 Booklet)

 

Carliol House Ltd

 

Administration

 

DU.EB/178/1-DU.EB/178/2 Directors meeting minutes, 1924 - 1965

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/179 General meeting minutes, 1924 - 1966

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/180 Agendas, 1938 - 1958

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/181/1-DU.EB/181/2 Registers of directors, 1924 - 1962

 

(2 Volumes)

 

DU.EB/182 Notices of meetings and resolutions, 1936 - 1957

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/183/1-DU.EB/183/4 Correspondence, 1924 - 1960

 

(9 Files)

 

Share records

 

DU.EB/184 Register of members and share ledger, 1924 - 1962

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/185 Share certificate book, 1952 - 1962

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/186/1-DU.EB/186/2 Annual returns of share capital with related papers, 1925 - 1964

 

(2 Files)

 

DU.EB/187 Dividends and interests papers, 1928 - 1964

 

(1 File)

 

DU.EB/188/1-DU.EB/188/2 Returns of allotments, official notices to Registrar of Companies etc, 1924 - 1965

 

(2 Files)

 

Finance

 

DU.EB/189 Register of mortgages and charges, 1926 - 1930

 

(1 Volume)

 

DU.EB/190 Record of loans, 1933 - 1935

 

(1 Volume)

 

Legal

 

DU.EB/191 Seal book, 1925 - 1965

 

(1 Volume)

 

Plant and property

 

DU.EB/192/1-DU.EB/192/2 Plans of Carliol House, 1927 - 1928

 

(2 Dyelines)

 

Acts and Bills

 

DU.EB/193/1-DU.EB/193/6 Acts, 1847 - 1936

 

(2 Volumes, 7 printed booklets, 4 files)

 

DU.EB/194/1-DU.EB/194/4 Bills, 1904 - 1932

 

(2 Volumes, 4 files, 1 printed booklet)

Date: 1833-1965
Held by: Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Extent: 7 sub fonds
Administrative History:

The North Eastern Electricity Board was created in 1948 on the nationalisation of the electricity supply and distribution industry. It formed the north east section of the British Electrical Authority.

 

Prior to 1948 the major elctricity supply and distribution company in the North East had been the North Eastern Electric Supply Company. This had itself been created in 1932 out of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Company and its subsidiary companies. Other independent companies were also nationalised to form part of N.E.E.B., the most important of which was the Newcastle and District Electricity Lighting Company.

 

Subsidiaries of the North Eastern Electric Supply Company

 

Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Company Ltd

 

County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Company Ltd

 

County of Durham Power Supply Company Ltd

 

Durham County Electric Power Company Ltd

 

Houghton le Spring and District Electric Lighting Company Ltd

 

Northern Counties Electricity Supply Company Ltd

 

Tees Power Station Company

 

Territory and assets taken over by the North Eastern Electric Supply Company

 

Durham Collieries Electric Power Company Ltd

 

Hexham and District Supply Company Ltd

 

Independent Electricity Companies

 

Askrigg and Reeth Electric Supply Company

 

Hawes Electric Lighting Company

 

Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Company

 

Umbrella Organisations

 

Incorporated Association of Electric Power Companies

 

Central Electricity Board

 

British Electrical Authority

 

Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd., 1888 - 1932

 

North-Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd., 1932 - 1948

 

Two electric supply companies were formed in Newcastle in 1889, the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. (later to become known as N.E.S.C.O.), and the Newcastle upon Tyne & District Electricity Lighting Co. Both companies were to play a leading role in the development of electric power supply and distribution, the District Company in the years before 1900 and N.E.S.C.O. in the first three decades of the present century.

 

Agreement was quickly reached between the two companies on the distribution of territory within the city, N.E.S.C.O. supplying the area east of a line drawn roughly through Grainger Street and the District Company the area to the west. N.E.S.C.O. began operations in 1890, with the opening of their first generating station at Pandon Dene. No great advances were made during the first decade, but it was during this period that Charles Merz joined N.E.S.C.O. as Chief Consultant Engineer and his long association with the Company began. Later, with a colleague William McLellan, he formed the firm of consulting engineers Merz & McLellan (TWAS 671, 780, 902, 906, 1091, 1239, 1325, 1385, 1409) who were responsible for most of N.E.S.C.O.'s design work from 1898 onwards. It was Merz in particular who was responsible for the design of the pioneering Neptune Bank Power Station, opened in 1901. This was not only the first power station in the U.K. to generate 3-phase A.C. Supply but also the first to supply electricity for industry rather than lighting purposes. This had always been a major aim of N.E.S.C.O. and proved to be a vital development; it led not only to the rapid expansion of N.E.S.C.O. but it also gave industry on Tyneside an enormous advantage over industry in other areas.

 

After the opening of the Neptune Bank Power Station N.E.S.C.O. continued to lead the world in power station development for the next thirty years. Carville was built to supply electricity for the Tyneside suburban lines, in 1903; Carville/Carville 'B' opened in 1916, the most economical power station in the world at that time; further stations to be built included Blaydon Burn, North Tees (1921) and Dunston 'B' (1930).

 

N.E.S.C.O. also expanded its territory rapidly after the turn of the century. The Walker and Wallsend Union Gas Co. was taken over in 1905, and after a series of Parliamentary battles with the District Company, N.E.S.C.O. extended its supply and distribution area south, as well as north, of the Tyne. The County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Co. Ltd., the County of Durham Power Supply Co. Ltd., and the Houghton-le-Spring and District Electric Lighting Co. Ltd., were all absorbed in the years before 1914. After the First World War N.E.S.C.O. extended its area to the Tees, the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Co. Ltd., the Northern Counties Electricity Supply Co. Ltd., and Durham County Electric Power Co. Ltd., and Tees Power Station Co. were all taken over. In addition the territory and assets of a number of companies in liquidation was taken over by N.E.S.C.O.; notable here were the Durham Collieries Electric Power Co. Ltd., and the Hexham & District Supply Co. Ltd.

 

The North Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd. was formed by the North-Eastern Electric Supply Act, 1932 and created one single company from the former Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Supply Co. and its subsidiary companies. Although the records of the subsidiary companies obviously came to an end in 1932, there was no significant break in the N.E.S.C.O. records between the demise of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd., and the advent of the North-Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd., thus no distinction has been made in the list.

 

Subsidiary Companies of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd.

 

Four of the subsidiary companies - the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Co., the County of Durham Electric Power Distribution Co. Ltd., the Houghton-le-Spring and District Lighting Co. Ltd., and the Tees Power Station Co. Ltd. - were controlled directly by N.E.S.C.O.; the Cleveland and Durham County Electric Power Co., and the Northern Counties Electricity Supply Co. Ltd. (controlled through the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Ltd.) and the County of Durham Electric Power Supply Co. Ltd. (controlled through the County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Co. Ltd.) - were controlled indirectly.

 

Independent Companies, 1889 - 1948

 

Three companies are included in this section: the Askrigg and Reeth Electric Supply Co. Ltd., the Hawes Electric Lighting Co. Ltd., and the Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. The term 'independent' is used in this context to indicate that these companies were independent of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. and the North-Eastern Supply Co.

 

The Askrigg and Reeth Supply Co. Ltd. and the Hawes Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. were both very small supply and distribution companies serving only their respective towns in North Yorkshire. The Newcastle & District Electric Lighting Co. was formed in 1889 with Charles Parsons as Managing Director; Parsons was anxious at this time to break into the field of electric power supply, the company's power station at Forth Banks, opened in 1890, was the first in the world to employ turbine driven generators. Further stations were opened at the Close (1902), Lemington (1904) and Newburn (1908), all employing Parsons turbo generators. Parsons himself resigned as Managing Director in 1902, but remained a Director until 1909.

 

The North Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd. was formed by the North-Eastern Electric Supply Act, 1932 and created one single company from the former Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Supply Co. and its subsidiary companies. Although the records of the subsidiary companies obviously came to an end in 1932, there was no significant break in the N.E.S.C.O. records between the demise of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd., and the advent of the North-Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd., thus no distinction has been made in the list.

 

Subsidiary Companies of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd.

 

Four of the subsidiary companies - the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Co., the County of Durham Electric Power Distribution Co. Ltd., the Houghton-le-Spring and District Lighting Co. Ltd., and the Tees Power Station Co. Ltd. - were controlled directly by N.E.S.C.O.; the Cleveland and Durham County Electric Power Co., and the Northern Counties Electricity Supply Co. Ltd. (controlled through the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Ltd.) and the County of Durham Electric Power Supply Co. Ltd. (controlled through the County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Co. Ltd.) - were controlled indirectly.

 

Independent Companies, 1889 - 1948

 

Three companies are included in this section: the Askrigg and Reeth Electric Supply Co. Ltd., the Hawes Electric Lighting Co. Ltd., and the Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. The term 'independent' is used in this context to indicate that these companies were independent of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. and the North-Eastern Supply Co.

 

The Askrigg and Reeth Supply Co. Ltd. and the Hawes Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. were both very small supply and distribution companies serving only their respective towns in North Yorkshire. The Newcastle & District Electric Lighting Co. was formed in 1889 with Charles Parsons as Managing Director; Parsons was anxious at this time to break into the field of electric power supply, the company's power station at Forth Banks, opened in 1890, was the first in the world to employ turbine driven generators. Further stations were opened at the Close (1902), Lemington (1904) and Newburn (1908), all employing Parsons turbo generators. Parsons himself resigned as Managing Director in 1902, but remained a Director until 1909.

 

The North Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd. was formed by the North-Eastern Electric Supply Act, 1932 and created one single company from the former Newcastle upon Tyne Electric Supply Co. and its subsidiary companies. Although the records of the subsidiary companies obviously came to an end in 1932, there was no significant break in the N.E.S.C.O. records between the demise of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd., and the advent of the North-Eastern Electric Supply Co. Ltd., thus no distinction has been made in the list.

 

Subsidiary Companies of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. Ltd.

 

Four of the subsidiary companies - the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Co., the County of Durham Electric Power Distribution Co. Ltd., the Houghton-le-Spring and District Lighting Co. Ltd., and the Tees Power Station Co. Ltd. - were controlled directly by N.E.S.C.O.; the Cleveland and Durham County Electric Power Co., and the Northern Counties Electricity Supply Co. Ltd. (controlled through the Cleveland and Durham Electric Power Ltd.) and the County of Durham Electric Power Supply Co. Ltd. (controlled through the County of Durham Electrical Power Distribution Co. Ltd.) - were controlled indirectly.

 

Independent Companies, 1889 - 1948

 

Three companies are included in this section: the Askrigg and Reeth Electric Supply Co. Ltd., the Hawes Electric Lighting Co. Ltd., and the Newcastle and District Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. The term 'independent' is used in this context to indicate that these companies were independent of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Co. and the North-Eastern Supply Co.

 

The Askrigg and Reeth Supply Co. Ltd. and the Hawes Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. were both very small supply and distribution companies serving only their respective towns in North Yorkshire. The Newcastle & District Electric Lighting Co. was formed in 1889 with Charles Parsons as Managing Director; Parsons was anxious at this time to break into the field of electric power supply, the company's power station at Forth Banks, opened in 1890, was the first in the world to employ turbine driven generators. Further stations were opened at the Close (1902), Lemington (1904) and Newburn (1908), all employing Parsons turbo generators. Parsons himself resigned as Managing Director in 1902, but remained a Director until 1909.

 

The District Company extended its area to include Newburn in 1902 and Benwell and Fenham in 1904. Having lost a series of Parliamentary battles with N.E.S.C.O. in the early 1900's it failed to extend its territory further.

 

British Electrical Authority (North-Eastern Electric Supply Co.): North-Eastern Electricity Board, 1948 - 1972

 

In 1948 the electricity supply and distribution industry was nationalised, the British Electrical Authority formed and the industry re-organised on a regional basis. The British Electrical Authority (N.E.S.C.O.) was based on the area of the former North-Eastern Electric Supply Co. and also included the 'independent' companies as well as the various local authority distribution undertakings. The area covered extended along the eastern side of the country, from York in the south to the Scottish Border. The British Electrical Authority (N.E.S.C.O.) later became the North-Eastern Electricity Board.

 

Carliol House Ltd., 1924 - 1972

 

Carliol House Ltd. remained a separate company until the 1970's. It was originally formed in 1924, its purpose being to build and administer the then headquarters of the Newcastle upon Tyne Electricity Supply Company Limited.

Subjects:
  • Industry
  • Electric power
Creator Names:
  • North Eastern Electricity Board
  • North Eastern Electric Supply Company
Immediate Source Of Acquisition:
  • Accession number 1223

Link to NRA Record:

Sharing will require cookies. Show details

 

Found an error?

If you find an error with this record description let us know

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion