Records of Harmston Hall Hospital
|Title:||Records of Harmston Hall Hospital|
Records of Harmston Hall Hospital.
|Held by:||Lincolnshire Archives, not available at The National Archives|
HOSP/HARMSTON1. Administrative Records.
HOSP/HARMSTON2. Medical Records.
HOSP/HARMSTON3. Harmston Hospital School.
The Harmston Hall estate was purchased in 1932 by the Lincolnshire Joint Board for the Mentally Defective. Conversion work was carried out and the premises opened as the Harmston Hall Colony on 18 March 1935. The Colony passed to the National Health Service in 1948 and became the Harmston Hall Hospital at the end of 1951. The hospital was administered by the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board Lincoln No. 3 Hospital Management Committee, 1948-c1968, the Lincoln Heath Hospital Management Committee (still part of the Sheffield Regional Hospital Boad), c1969-1974, and then by Lincolnshire Area Health Authority and its successors. There were subsidiary branches at Caistor, Bourne and Holbeach, and hostels at Cross o'Cliff Court (from February 1939) and Tuxford, Nottinghamshire (from 1 April 1951). Hostels were opened at Shannon Avenue in Lincoln (1970), Redwood Drive, Lincoln (April 1986), and Stewton Lane, Louth (September 1986). An on-site school was transferred to the administration of Kesteven County Council in 1971, re-built in 1972, and closed in September 1987. Harmston Hall Hospital was closed on 16 January 1990, with the remaining patients transferred to Long Leys Court at St George's Hospital, Lincoln.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Conditions of access:||
Please note that all records relating to patients are subject to a 100 year closure period.
|Link to NRA Record:|