Rashleigh of Menabilly, Tywardreath
|Title:||Rashleigh of Menabilly, Tywardreath|
TITLE DEEDS AND LEASES
Arallas (St. Columb, St. Enoder, Probus)
Ashton Barrett (St. Dominic)
Bodmin (Bodmin, Helland)
Fowey (Fowey town)
Lametton (St. Keyne, Liskeard)
Langunnet (Boconnoc, St. Veep, Lanreath)
Lantyan (Golant, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, St. Winnow)
Lanyon (Paul, Mawgan in Meneage, Sancreed, St. Buryan, Madron, Morvah, Penzance)
Little Deviock (St. Germans, Liskeard)
Luxulyan (Luxulyan, Roche, St. Mewan)
Manely Durnford (St. Veep)
Manely Fleming (St. Veep, Golant)
Polvethan (Lansallos, Pelynt, Lanteglos-by-Fowey)
Nancolleth (Newlyn East, Crantock, Cubert, St. Enoder)
Pensignance (Gwennap, Kea)
Polruan (Lansallos, Lanteglos-by-Fowey)
Rillaton Pengelly (Linkinhorne)
Trehunsey (St. Ive, Quethiock)
Treire (Lanreath, St. Winnow)
Tremollet (Linkinhorne, Northill)
Trenant (St. Austell, Fowey)
Tywardreath (St. Blazey, Fowey, Golant, Tywardreath, Luxulyan; also Tregony and Veryan)
Carew properties (Antony, Langunnet, Manely Durnford, Sheviock, Nancolleth, Penventon)
Scattered lands (Altarnun, St. Austell, Blisland, Bodmin, Botus Fleming, St. Breock, Cardinham, Callington, Calstock, St. Cleer, St. Clether, St. Columb, Davidstow, Duloe, St. Ervan, Egloshayle, Egloskerry, St. Germans, Gorran, Helston, St. Issey, St. Ive, Kea, St. Keverne, St. Kew, Ladock, Landrake, Lanhydrock, Lanlivet, Lanlivery, Lansallos, Lanteglos-by-Fowey, Lezant, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Little Petherick, Lostwithiel, St. Mabyn, St. Martin by Looe, Marhamchurch, Mawnan, Menheniot, Minster, St. Minver, St. Neot, North Petherwin, Padstow, Pelynt, St. Pinnock, Poughill, Quethiock, Roche, Southill, St. Stephen by Saltash, Stratton, Stokeclimsland, St. Teath, Truro, St. Veep, Warleggan, St. Wenn, St. Winnow).
General Estate deeds (marriage settlements, composite properties etc.)
Financial settlements (annuities, marriage settlements, etc.)
Out-county (Devon, Hampshire, Huntingdon and Bedford, and Monmouth)
MANORIAL AND ESTATE ADMINISTRATION.
Arallas (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Ashton Barrett (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Bodmin (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
BRAY (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Bulland (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Fowey (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Helsett (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Lametton (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Langunnet (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Lantyan (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Lantyan and Tywardreath (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Lanyon (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Lawhire (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Little Deviock (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Luxulyan (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Manely Durnford (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Manely Fleming (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Nancolleth (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Pensignance (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Penventon (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Polhorman (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Polruan (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Polvethan (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Rillaton Pengelly (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Rillaton Pengelly & Tremollet (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Trehunsey (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Treire (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Tremollet (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Trenant (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Trenant & Tywardreath (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Tywardreath (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Scattered lands (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Composite manors (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Carew manors (precepts, rentals, court rolls etc.)
Non-Rashleigh manors (Rillaton Paderda, Tregony-Pomeroy, Trewoon, Treverbyn Trevanion, Liskeard, Tregarten)
Out-county (Devon, Hampshire, London, Monmouth, Wiltshire)
ACCOUNTS AND FINANCIAL PAPERS.
Estate accounts (account books, rates and taxes, buildings and repairs, bonds)
Tithe accounts (deeds, receipts, accounts etc.)
Household accounts (tradesmens' & grocery bills, wages accounts etc.)
Personal accounts (account books, bonds, school fees, inn bills, subscriptions etc.)
Mining (setts, tin bounds, copper trade, accounts)
Fishing (seine accounts, reports, tithe fish, coastguard)
Public works (railways, canals, ferries, roads, harbours, bridges)
Almshouses and Charities (St. Wenn, Polmear and parish poor)
Parish administration (Antony, St. Cleer, Fowey, Golant, St. Keyne, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Luxulyan, St. Mellion, Par, St. Pinnock, Roche, Tywardreath, St. Veep, Week St. Mary)
Schools (Bodmin, Fowey, Golant, Liskeard, Tywardreath, St. Veep, St. Wenn)
Maps and plans (estate, mine plans, public works, houses & buildings)
Rashleigh as plaintiff
Rashleigh as defendant
PUBLIC OFFICE AND POLITICS
Borough of Fowey (elections, borough administration)
Shrievalty (Jn. Rashleigh, Jonathan Rashleigh, Geo. Hele, Sam. Stephens, Jn. Colman Rashleigh, Wm. Rashleigh, Francis Howell
Clerk of the Peace
Military and Naval
PERSONAL AND PRIVATE
Probate and testamentary (wills, I.P.M.s, legacies)
Household and domestic (accounts, inventories, recipes, horticulture)
|Date:||Early 13th Century - 1989|
|Held by:||Cornwall Record Office, not available at The National Archives|
|Extent:||100 sub-sub fonds|
Acquisition of Rashleigh property.
Although Lysons says that the Rashleighs received a moiety of this manor by bequest from Carew, the property was in fact acquired by purchase at three different times.
1603 John Rashleigh bought from Thomas Penrose of Penrose Methley, and John his son, land in Halvenna, Ennis, Chywoon and Penmenna (R/6).
1617 John Rashleigh bought from Richard Smyth and John his son, of St. Columb Major, lands in Penrose Soaper and Trevossa (R/3).
1682 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from William Courtenay of Trethurffe, a moiety of the manor with lands in Treverbyn, Trevisa, Nankervis, Mitchell etc. (title deed missing but calendared by Flamank: see R/4278).
The manor was retained until the final break-up of the estate. Treverbyn in Probus was sold to Christopher Hawkins.
This manor passed from the Barrett family of Penquite in Golant to Sebastian Prestwood of Butterford, Devon, on his marriage in 1707 with Anne Barrett, the sole heiress, (R/62). The Barrett property was mortgaged and finally released under a chancery decree to Tristram Huddleston, who conveyed it to Jonathan Rashleigh in 1738. This conveyance included Penquite, Ashton Barrett, Flexbury in Poughill, and lands in Luxulyan, Tintagel, St. Mewan, Roche and Bodmin.
Ashton Barrett was sold in 1769 to Mr. Spurrell.
The Rashleigh property in Bodmin was acquired as follows:
1567 John Rashleigh bought from Nicholas Prescod of East Meon, Hampshire, the site of the Priory and adjacent lands.
1567 John Rashleigh bought from Robert Tosar a house in Bore Lane, and Trevear in St. Issey.
(see R/69, 70).
1567 John Rashleigh bought from William Mohun of Boconnoc, Callenowth in Helland (R/66).
1635. Jonathan Rashleigh bought from George Spry parcels of the manor of Bodmin Kirland, including Kirland Vean and Little Kirland, with other houses and plots.
1738 Jonathan Rashleigh bought the Prestwood property in Bodmin.
All this property, together with Trelill and other lands in St. Kew, was sold to Sir Elijah Impey in 1786.
This property was acquired as follows:-
1630 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Phillip and Anne Jeynyns, the manor of Bulland and lands in Tregarrick, Trelosk and Over Langdon.
1636 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from John Gedy, Fursnewth.
1636 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Edward Rider, Listetha.
1653-55 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Sir John Trelawney and John Harris of Radford parts of Over Langdon and Browngelly.
The manor was sold to Connock about 1800.
The Rashleighs began acquiring property in Fowey from about 1540 onwards and went on doing so until the late eighteenth century. By the eighteenth century they were calling their Fowey property a manor. In 1798 Philip Rashleigh bought the Duchy manor of Fowey (R/320). This had been annexed to the Duchy after the dissolution of Tywardreath Priory, and was sold under the Land Tax Redemption Act. The manor and a large part of the town property were sold to George Lucy of Warwickshire in 1817 (R/321-324).
During the first half of the seventeenth century Helsett was divided into moieties. 1651 one moiety was sold by Robert Prowse to Nathaniel Moyle, and in 1653 the other moiety was sold by Thomas Southcott to John Moyle. In 1691 Sir Walter Moyle mortgaged the whole manor to Mary and Jane Vaughan, and in 1699, the mortgage having been assigned, he released it to Hugh Boscawen, John Rashleigh and Nicholas Morice as trustees of Sir Richard Carew..
Under the will of Sir Coventry Carew the manor passed to the Rashleighs.
Helsett was sold to the Rev. Digory Jose in 1790.
This manor was sold by Christopher Coplestone of Coplestone to John Harris of Lanrest in 1571 (R/570), and by John Harris of Lanrest to Jonathan Rashleigh in 1624 (R/574).
Other properties were subsequently annexed to the manor;
1673 Jonathan Rashleigh bought Great Trussell from Henry Marke (R/558).
1699 Jonathan Rashleigh bought various premises at Landloe and Winsor from William Hore (R/568).
1749 Jonathan Rashleigh bought Trussell meadow from Nicholas Connock (R/560).
This manor was bequeathed to the Rashleighs by Sir Coventry Carew. Its early history is not apparent from the title deeds. The only relevant one is a bargain and sale from Richard Carew to Peter Edgcumbe in 1580 (R/735).
Some lands in this manor were conveyed to Pitt in 1767 in exchange for land at Fowey in Trenant manor (R/2318).
This manor had been part of the possessions of Margaret, Countess of Salisbury, and on her attainder and execution in 1541 fell to the Crown, Among the title deeds is an abstract of the grant of the manor by Edward VI to Sir Edward Fynes in 1550 (R/878). By 1551 it was in the hands of John Aylworth who sold it to William Godolphin (R/879). In 1560 Godolphin sold it to John Coswarth of Coswarth, who in that year settled it (with other lands) in his daughter Katherine's (second) marriage with John Arundell of Trerice (R/880-883). The manor passed in four shares to the four daughters who were the issue of this marriage - Julian, m. Richard Carew of Antony.
Alice, m. Henry Summaster of Pains ford.
Dorothy, m. Edward Coswarth of Coswarth.
Mary, m. Oliver Dynham.
John Rashleigh bought all 4 parts in 1890 (R/886).
Other property later counted with this manor was obtained as follows:-
1569 John Rashleigh bought of William Robyn of Boconnoc, Higher Gready in Lanlivery.
1591 John Rashleigh bought from Dorothy Cavell of St. Cadoc, Francis Courtney of Ethy, Richard Courtney of St. Cadoc and Nicholas Cavell of St. Kew, Newhan, Polmenna Parks and Menawithan in St. Winnow.
1591 John Rashleigh bought from James Philpot, a cottage, garden and close at Milton.
1596 John Rashleigh bought from Richard Dallamayne of St. Austell a house and 1 ac. in Golant.
1617 John Rashleigh bought from Richard Smith of St. Columb Major, a house in North Street, Lostwithiel.
1624 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Nicholas Sawell lands and tens. in Golant formerly belonging to Hicks, Webber and Charke.
1629 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from William Shepherd of Beer Ferrers, land at Carhallock and Scations in Lanlivery and a house in Lostwithiel.
1660 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from John Nicholl and Thomas Rashleigh land at Wringford.
1677 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from John Seyer of Cornelly, millkeeper, a house and close called Cockes Park in Lanlivery.
1696 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Henry Colquite unspecified property in Golant.
1738 Jonathan Rashleigh bought Penquite (see manor of Ashton Barrett).
1793 Philip Rashleigh bought from Thomas Rawe, various fields etc. in Golant.
1803 Philip Rashleigh bought from Francis Mallett, three houses etc. in Golant.
(For Leskernick in Golant, acquired 1566, see under manor of Fowey).
This manor was bought by Jonathan Rashleigh in 1632 from Richard Lanyon and Peter Jenkyn, to whom Lanyon had apparently mortgaged it.
Other property was acquired as follows:-
1577 John Rashleigh bought from Ralph Penrose of Penrose in Sennen, Bossence and Brane in Sancreed and Selena in Buryan (R/1158).
1638 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from John Lanyon a house and two gardens in New Street, Penzance (R/1181).
1783 Philip Rashleigh bought from William Hosken a further part of Brane (R/1164).
This manor was part of Sir Coventry Carew's bequest.
Lysons says that this manor was owned by the Rashleighs as early as the reign of Charles I, having been purchased from the Couches. If this is so, no title deeds survive, nor are any listed by Flamank. No manor of Luxulyan is in the old lease book (c.1650), and the only Luxulyan property there is consistent with the title deeds given below (viz. Trevelyn, Boddigo, Trenowth and Tresibble). It seems more likely that the bulk of the land of this manor and perhaps the manorial rights were among the lands bought of Barrett in 1738 (see manor of Ashton Barrett). These had formerly belonged to Richard Kendall of Methrose, grandfather of Anne Barrett. The earliest manorial paper is 1739. Other lands part of this manor were acquired as follows:-
1567 John Rashleigh bought from Robert Toser lands at Trenowth in Roche, and Trevellan and Boddigo in Luxulyan (R/1375).
1588-96 John Rashleigh bought from John Cole land at Trenowth and Tresibble in Roche.
1693 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Anthony Grubb part of Tresibble in Roche (R/1366).
1740 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from John Nanjulyan, William Nation and others, parts of Lower Gready and Trevany (R/1315).
1743 Jonathan bought land at Methrose from Thomas Parson (R/1332).
1747 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Caleb Cotton, Penrose in Luxulyan, and Tretharrup, also Luxulyan, for the remainder of a term of 750 years.
A title deed of 1579 (R/1527) records a conveyance from Peter Edgcumbe to Richard Carew (R/1527). It seems that the manor passed from Carew to Rashleigh in the eighteenth century.
Part of Kingole was bought from the Eliots in 1807 (R/1524).
Property in this manor was divided in 1649 between Glynn and Hicks (R/1575). The Hicks moiety was sold to May in 1695 (R/1576) and then to Prynn in 1723 (R/1577). Henry Prynn Andrew sold it to Philip Rashleigh in 1809 (R/1580).
In 1802 Philip Rashleigh had bought the Glynn moiety of the manor (R/1578).
Some properties in Cliff and Lerryn were bought from Sir Christopher Hawkins in 1804 and 1810 (R/1570; 1579).
This was one of the manors bequeathed by Sir Coventry Carew. It was alienated by the Rashleighs about 1779, perhaps to Lord Falmouth, whom Lysons says was lord.
This manor was bought from John Treffry by Jonathan Rashleigh in 1684 (R/1634). Previously, in 1572, John Rashleigh had bought from John Langdon the manors of Trenedon in Lansallos and Hendra in Pelynt, which were later administered as part of Polvethan (R/1606).
Polvethan in Lansallos was formerly Carew property, and in the nineteenth century it seems to have been administered as part of this manor although sometimes it appears as non-manorial property.
Pensignance, which belonged in the fifteenth century to the Durant family, was in 1514 settled by John Durant on his daughter Margaret on her marriage with James Erisey (R/1780). His daughter Joan also received property (R/1719). After a conveyance (? by way of mortgage) to Godolphin, it was bought by Richard Carew in 1583 (R/1784) and bequeathed to the Rashleighs by Sir Coventry Carew in 1750.
Title deeds of Trevethan show that it passed from Godolphin to Bawden in 1620, and was still in that family in 1755 (R/1771). Later leases of it are from Rashleigh and Stackhouse.
A quarter share of this manor was inherited by the will of Sir Coventry Carew. It was sold about 1783 perhaps to the Duke of Leeds (see RH.)
This manor was sold by Sir Thomas Arundell to William Webbe of Salisbury, merchant, in 1544 (R/1895). In 1560 John Webbe of Salisbury sold it to Richard Power of Fowey, merchant (R/1896). In 1573 Edward Power mortgaged the manor to John Rashleigh and released it to him the following year (R/1901-1905).
Other property was acquired as follows:-
1579 John Rashleigh bought from John Connor alias Carpenter all his lands in Polruan and Lanteglos (R/1884).
1586 John Rashleigh bought from Richard Carew, Dorset in Lanteglos (R/1874).
1608 John Rashleigh bought from John Hunking of Fowey lands at Mixtow (R/1883).
1659 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Robert Nicholls, a house in Polruan (R/1891).
1695 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from John Harris of Radford, Lansallos Barton, Tregavithick, Polgazick and Treweers in Lansallos (R/1853).
1781 Philip Rashleigh bought from John Michell, lands at Mixtow (R/1885).
1789 Philip Rashleigh bought from Robert Masey lands in Tregavithick in Lansallos (R/1868).
1792 Philip Rashleigh bought from George Peard Rawe 4 fields in Lanteglos (R/1894).
This manor, having apparently been involved in Chancery suits was bought from Robert Doyley by Jonathan Rashleigh in 1635. It was sold to the Rodd family about 1783.
Trehunsey was part of the estate of Richard Chiverton at his death in 1619 (R/2021). It passed from the Chivertons successively to the families of Batt, Gotley and Rashleigh. In the 1770's it was sold by Rashleigh to the Corytons of Pentillie, who had owned part of the manor long before this - leases are evidence of this. Sir James Tillie was leasing in 1691.
A moiety of this manor was bought by Peter Edgcumbe from Roger Holland in 1505 (R/2083). Peter Edgcumbe sold it to John Rashleigh in 1568 (R/2085).
Other property was acquired as follows:-
1578 John Rashleigh bought from Nicholas Kendall of Pelyn a moiety of Trevollard in Lanreath (R/2061).
1634 Jonathan Rashleigh bought from Thomas Crossman of Lancarfe, Trewither in St. Winnow (R/2075).
The moiety of Treire was exchanged with the Glynn family for their moiety of Manely Fleming in 1802.
This manor, having been the property of Francis Tregian of Golden, and forfeited on his attainder, was granted by letters patent in 1631 to Thomas St. Aubyn, Thomas Selby and Thomas Hawkins (R/2121). In the following year they conveyed it to Joseph Hunkyn of Liskeard and Walter Nicholl of Kelly in Devon (R/2122). Jonathan Rashleigh bought the manor from them in 1635.
Fursdon in Southill and Clampits in Linkinhorne were bought from Charles Vyvyan in 1741.
Trenant, formerly part of the possessions of Tywardreath Priory, was granted to Philip Rashleigh by the Crown in 1545. It descended in the elder branch, the Rashleighs of Coombe, until Robert, the last male of the branch, sold it to Jonathan Rashleigh of Menabilly in 1698, retaining the barton of Coombe, which was sold the following year.
Other lands were acquired as follows:-
By the Rashleighs of Coombe:
1541 Philip Rashleigh bought a toft and garden in Fowey from Alexander Arundell (R/2314).
1552 & 1570 Robert Rashleigh bought houses in Fowey from William Pester (R/2278-2295).
1556 Robert Rashleigh bought Gaffa Mill and lands at South and North Garne from Thomas Henley (R/2143).
1556 Robert Rashleigh bought a house and garden in Fowey from John Mares of Stratton (R/2262).
1557 Robert Rashleigh bought houses and shops in Fowey, and Longstone Park, from Thomas Hendley (R/2299).
1562 Robert Rashleigh bought lands in Fowey from Alexander Arundell (R/2266).
1565 Robert Rashleigh bought a house in Fowey from Nicholas Marten of Lewannick (R/2267).
1565 Robert Rashleigh bought lands in Fowey from Christopher Cock (R/2315).
1571-72 Robert Rashleigh bought houses in Fowey and a close called Dagland from John Bowring (R/2155).
1581 John Rashleigh bought fields at Rock's End from John Wacombe of Merther (R/2307).
1623 Robert Rashleigh bought a house in Fowey from James Roupe of South Petherwin (R/2268).
By the Rashleighs of Menabilly:
1745 Jonathan Rashleigh bought Lanheriot from Caleb Cotton (R/2180).
1767 Philip Rashleigh exchanged with Thomas Pitt parts of Langunnet manor for three fields in Fowey called the Gummo (R/2318).
1803 Philip Rashleigh bought the barton of Lawhire and lands in Little Lawhire and Fowey from Thomas Graham. Lawhire descended from Colquite to Lambe, and by marriage to Graham (R/2230).
1810 Philip Rashleigh bought the barton of Trenant from J. T. Austen (R/2247).
The lay manor of Tywardreath belonged in the thirteenth century to the Champernownes, it passed to the Herles and Bouvilles and probably came to the Crown by the attainder of the Duke of Suffolk who inherited Lord Bonville's estate. By 1620 it was Rashleigh property,
Property was acquired thus:-
1569 John Rashleigh bought Luxulyan mills from John Collins (according to Flamank, this was part of Tywardreath, not Luxulyan); (R/2550).
1569 John Rashleigh bought Pennarth from John Polwhele of Polwhele (R/2578).
1570 John Rashleigh bought South Gomme from Thomas Tregoddeck.
1573 Robert Rashleigh bought Tregaminion from Christopher Coplestone (R/2587).
1573 John Rashleigh bought Menabilly, Treswethick, Trewrong and Penpol from Christopher Coplestone (R/2571).
1574 Thomas Rashleigh bought Trevillack and Cockfish from Christopher Coplestone (R/2601).
1578 John Rashleigh bought from Christopher Coplestone half his tenements in Tywardreath (R/2618).
1579 John Rashleigh bought Great Pennarth from Christopher Coplestone (R/2579).
1581 Manor transferred from Coplestone to Rashleigh (R/2620).
1587 Additional property at Pennarth purchased.
1589 John Rashleigh bought Coyster's place from Henry Cock (R/2654).
1607 John Rashleigh bought half of Carroggatt and Coldharbour from Thomas Skore of Tywardreath (R/2563).
1621 Jonathan Rashleigh bought lands in Tywardreath from Christopher Pollard (R/2582).
1657 Jonathan Rashleigh exchanged with Richard Mayow fields at Tywardreath (R/2609).
1737 Jane Rashleigh, spinster, bought Kilmarth from Pearce Pascoe of Tywardreath (R/2567).
1787 Philip Rashleigh purchased several properties in Biscovey (R/2351).
1792 Several tenements in Biscovey purchased (part of William Masterman's estate); (R/2350).
Various parcels of land acquired in 16th and 17th centuries to consolidate property.
Sir Coventry Carew died in 1747 and left property to Jonathan Rashleigh, which Jonathan Rashleigh then mortgaged to Sir James Dashwood.
Carew manors were:-
Rashleigh was also to inherit further properties after the death of Lady Carew (this occured in 1762).
The properties were:-
Roserrow In St. Minver and Davidstow.
Tregollen In St. Minver and Davidstow.
Trelander In St. Minver and Davidstow.
Grays In St. Minver and Davidstow.
Rosebenault In St. Minver and Davidstow.
Newham stream works
St. Veep woods.
Many came from Carew
e.g. lands at Trelill and elsewhere in St. Kew (sold in 1786).
Taven and Clyes in St. Clether
Several estates in St. Minver
Rosebenote in Davidstow
Higher Hendra in St. Teath
Menkee and Tredinnick in St. Mabyn
Polventon in Lansallos
Bought among Barretts lands (see manor of Ashton Barret).
Flexbury and Somerleaze in Poughill.
Bought of Charles Vivian, - c.1763.
Appledorneford, Ixwell and Penquite in St. Ive (this was sold to Francis Glanville after 1775).
Polagenna in St. Cleer
Tredinnick in Lanhydrock
Sliddon in North Petherwin
Tom Rows and Kestles in Blisland
Hill Lands in Blisland
Boskear in Bodmin.
Much of the property was sold in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and by 1914 the estates comprised only the manors of Lantyan, Tywardreath, Polvethan, Polruan and Manely Fleming.
Summary of acquisitions.
1541-81 Trenant and Fowey lands
1548 Trenant manor
1555 Fowey manor
1567 Luxulyan and Roche lands
1567 Bodmin priory
1569-90 Tywardreath property
1569 Gready in Lantyan
1572 Lansallos and Pelynt lands
1577-78 Sancreed and Buryan
1578 Treire additional
1579-86 Polruan additional
1588 Luxulyan and Roche lands
1591-96 Lantyan additional
1603 Arallas (Halvenna)
1608 Polruan additional
1617 Arallas (Penrose)
1634 Treire additional
1635 Rillaton Pengelly
1635 Bodmin additional
1636 Bulland additional
1638 Lanyon additional
1653-55 Bulland additional
1659 Polruan additional
1673 Lametton additional
1682 Arallas additional
1693 Luxulyan additional
17th cent. Trehunsey.
17th cent. passim Fowey, Lantyan and Tywardreath additional.
1737 Tywardreath: Kilmarth.
1738 Ashton Barrett
1738 Bodmin additional
1738 Scattered lands
1738 Lantyan additional
1740-44 Luxulyan additional
1741 Tremollet additional
1745 Trenant additional
1749 Lametton additional
1747-62 Carew bequest:
Addtional scattered lands
1760 Scattered lands from Vyvyan
1767 Trenant additional
1780's Polruan additional
1783 Lanyon additional
1792 Tywardreath additional
1793 Lantyan additional
1802 ½ Manely Fleming
1803 Lantyan additional
1803 Trenant additional
1807 Manely Durnford additional
1809 ½ Manely Fleming
1810 Trenant additional
1767 Langunnet (exchange)
1769 Ashton Barrett
1783 Penventon and Rillaton Pengelly
1802 Treire (exchange)
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Link to NRA Record:|