The Ferranti Collection

This record is held by Museum of Science and Industry

Details of The Ferranti Collection
Title: The Ferranti Collection
Reference: 1996.10
Description:

1996.10/1/ Board of Directors

 

Records relating to AGM's, Annual Reports, Directors and Board Meetings, Directors correspondence and any miscellaneous records relating to the Directors.

 

1996.10/2/ Finance & Control

 

Records relating to Shares, Finance and Audit, Legal Records, Estates and any miscellaneous Finance & Control records.

 

1996.10/3/ Strategic Services

 

Records relating to Recruitment, Training, Pensions, Marketing, Publicity, Photographs, Strategic Planning, R& D Audits and any miscellaneous Strategic Services records.

 

1996.10/4/ Ferranti Defence Systems

 

Records relating to Ferranti Defence Systems Ltd and its products, together with its fore-runner the Ferranti Scottish Group and any Sub-divisions.

 

1996.10/5/ Ferranti Industrial Electronics

 

Records relating to Ferranti Industrial Electronics Ltd and its products, together with its fore-runners and any Sub-divisions.

 

1996.10/6/ Ferranti Computer Systems

 

Records relating to Ferranti Computer Systems Ltd and its products, together with its fore-runner departments and any Sub-divisions.

 

1996.10/7/ Ferranti Electronics

 

Records relating to Ferranti Electronics Ltd and its products, together with its fore runner departments and any Sub-divisions.

 

1996.10/8/ Ferranti Instrumentation

 

Records relating to Ferranti Instrumentation Ltd and its products, together with its fore-runner departments (including the Meter and Radio departments) and any Sub divisions.

 

1996.10/9/ Ferranti Power Division

 

Records relating to the Power Division (Transformers, Tap-Changers), the Foundry, Ferranti Engineering Ltd and their products together with its fore-runner departments and any Sub-divisions.

 

1996.10/10/ Domestic Appliances

 

Records relating to the Domestic Appliance department and its products.

 

1996.10/11/ Ferranti-Packard Ltd (Canada)

 

Records relating to the Canadian Sub-division and its products.

 

1996.10/12/ Ferranti Family

 

Records relating to the Ferranti Family

 

1996.10/13/ Miscellaneous Records

 

Miscellaneous records relating to the company, its products and Sub-divisions which don't fit the above scheme including Ferranti Helicopters Ltd and the Ferranti Archives.

 

Finding aid: 80% of the collection is fully catalogued. This includes: 1996.10/1/ Board of Directors, 1996.10/2/ Finance and Control, 1996.10/3/ Strategic Services (excluding photographic material), 1996.10/4/ Ferranti Defence Systems, 1996.10/5/Ferranti Industrial Electronics, 1996.10/10/ Domestic Appliances, 1996.10/11/ Packard Ltd (Canada) and 1996.10/12/ Ferranti Family Records. The remaining material has a box listing available. Please consult the box listing.

 

Also catalogue 1996.10/6/ Computer Division

 

1996.10/7/ Ferranti Electronics Limited

 

1996.10/8/ Ferranti Instrumentation Limited

 

Ferranti Archive - Box Listing

 

All the sections which have been box listed but not catalogued have been brought together physically according to the outline archive structure; ie all records relating to the Computer Systems group have been brought together and stored in the same place. To use this listing system to find a particular record you must take the following steps:

 

1. Check the box numbers listed below in each section.

 

2. Cross-refer these box numbers with the box listing. These boxes should contain items relevant to that section and should give you a basic idea of the records in any particular section.

 

3. If you want to see a particular item make a note of the box number, item number and the section under which it is listed eg F35E Ferranti Industrial Electronics.

 

The following parts of the collection are not fully catalouged and only have box listings available.

 

1996.10/6/ Ferranti Computer Systems Limited

 

Ferranti Computer Systems Limited can trace its history back to 1949 when the Computer Group was formed to develope and manufacture computers after working with Manchester University on the creation of the worlds first stored programme computer. The group developed and sold a range of systems which included the worlds first commercially available computers, the Mark 1 and Mark1*, as well as the Pegasus, Apollo and Orion models. In 1963 the group was sold to International Computers and Tabulators Limited, however the group continued in a different form as an amalgamation of the Digital Systems Department (formerly part the Industrial Electronics group of the Scottish Group) and the Automation Systems Department. This 'division' manufactured and sold computers systems, most notably the Argus, which were designed to control complicated industrial processes, such as production lines, power stations and air traffic control stations. The Computer Systems Department was formed from this 'division' in 1978 and was split into three operational divisions based on location and product; the Bracknell Division, the Wythenshawe Division and the Cheadle Division. Following the restructuring of 1984, the Computer Systems Department became Ferranti Computer Systems Limited.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti GmbH Wiesbaden Branch (formed 1972)

 

Ferranti Computer Systems NV

 

Ferranti Computer Systems (Australia) Pty Limited

 

Ferranti International Controls Corporation

 

Box Numbers

 

BC2/C, CUP3/K, CUP4/A, CUP4/B, CUP4/C, CUP/D

 

CUP4/E, CUP4/G, CUP4/H, CUP4/K, CUP5/L, FC2

 

FC3, FC21, FC27, F15A, F15I, F16G

 

F16M, F16N, F18I, F24B, F24C, F28E

 

F29I, F32J, F32L, F35E, F37A, F42B

 

F42H, F47J, F49F, F49L, F55D, FWY7

 

FWY10, FWY12, FWY17, FWY44

 

1996.10/7/ Ferranti Electronics Limited

 

Ferranti Electronics Limited can trace its origin back to 1930 with the formation of an Electronics Department to manufacture electronic components, which at that time were being manufactured by the Instrument Department (see below). This department was closed down in 1940 only for it to re-open in 1941 as an offshoot of the Radio Department, again manufacturing electronic components. Among the products produced by the department were valves, semi-conductors and integrated circuits. In 1984 the department was reformed as Ferranti Electronics Limited and was made up from the Integrated Circuits Group, the Discrete Components Group and the Microwave Division. In 1987, with the exception of the Microwave Division and the Ceramic Seals Department (which stayed with Ferranti), Ferranti Electronics Limited was sold to Plessey.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti GmbH Munich Branch (formed 1972)

 

Ferranti California Inc

 

Ferranti Wheelock Microelectronics Limited

 

Interdesign Inc

 

Box Numbers

 

CUP4/A, CUP4/D, CUP5/K, FC1, FC3, FC5

 

FC6, FC21, FC24, F8C, F17L, F18H

 

F18I, F23B/1, F24C, F29G, F32J, F49D

 

F50A, F55D, F65A, F65D

 

1996.10/8/ Ferranti Instrumentation Limited

 

The Instrument Department goes back to 1905 and the Scheme of Reconstruction that created the 'New Company' in that year. The department manufactured a wide variety of products ranging from viscometers through to clip-on anometers and until 1921 the Transformer Department was included within the department. Throughout its life the department often acted as a test bed for new products developed by the company, e.g. electronics, before those products were transferred to other departments. From 1937-1970 the Fuze Department formed part of the Instrument Department and in 1955 the Aircraft Equipment Department was formed and added to the department. After the Radio Department closed down in 1958 the service section of that department was added to the Instrument Department. In 1974 a new Instrumentation Division was created incorporating the old Instrument Department, together with the Meter and Foundry Departments. In 1984 the Instrumentation Division was restructured becoming Ferranti Instrumentation Limited, incorporating the Weapons Equipment Department, the Aircraft Equipment Department, the Naval Department and Mitchell Hydraulics Division.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti Measurements Limited (1978-1985)

 

Ferranti GTE Limited, becoming in 1981 Ferranti Business Communications Limited

 

Ferranti Resin Limited

 

Box Numbers

 

BC1/C, BC1/D, BC1/E, BC1/F, BC2/B, CUP2/B

 

CUP2/D, CUP2/F, CUP2/G, CUP2/I, CUP2/L, CUP3/A

 

CUP3/B, CUP3/F, CUP3/G, CUP3/H, CUP3/J, CUP4/A

 

CUP4/B, CUP4/F, CUP4/J, CUP4/K, CUP5/L, FC3

 

FC8/2, FC8/4, FC21, FC22, FC24, FC24/C

 

FC25/5, FC25/6, FC25/8, FC25/10, F11F, F15A

 

F16M, F17A, F18I, F29G, F32J, F35A

 

F35D, F36L, F37A, F42L, F47H, F47I

 

F47J, F48A, F48A/4, F48A/10, F49D, F49E

 

F49W, F50A, F50A/10, F55D, F58/13, F65A

 

F76/24, F76/25, FWY17, FWY33

 

1996.10/9/ Power Division

 

Power Transformers were at the core of the early Ferranti companies and the division can trace its origins back to the 1880's. However the Transformer Division was not formed as a separate identity until 1921, up until that date the division had formed part of the Instrument Department (see above). In 1957 a Distribution Transformers Department was formed within the division but it was closed down again in 1967. In 1974 the Transformer Division ran into financial difficulties (this was the cause of the financial difficulties which led to the National Enterprise Board intervention) and the Division was shut down in 1975 with only a service and maintenance section maintained until 1980. In 1976 Ferranti Engineering Limited was set up selling Agricultural products.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti Container Handling Limited (set up in 1976)

 

Box Numbers

 

BC1/D, BC2/C, BC4/3, CUP3/A, CUP3/G, CUP4/A

 

CUP5/K, CUP8/D, CUP10/F, CUP10/G, FC3, FC4

 

FC6, FC7, FC8/1, FC/3, FC8/5, FC10

 

FC22, FC23, FC23/3, FC23/7, FC23/8, FC24

 

FC27, FC28, FC29, F5B, F8C, F8C/12

 

F11F, F14D, F14D/3, F15A, F16M, F17E

 

F17G, F18H, F18I, F23B, F24C, F27

 

F27A, F29D, F29G, F32B, F32J, F32N

 

F32O, F35D, F42A, F42H, F43/1, F43/2

 

F43/3, F43/4, F44C, F44L, F47J, F48A

 

F48A/3, F48A/4, F48A/14, F49D, F49E, F50

 

F50A, F50A/4, F50A/17, F54B/3, F55D, F57B

 

F63, F65A, F69O, F73A, FWY44

 

1996.10/13/ Miscellaneous Records

 

This section contains all those records which relate to the company but which do not fit the above scheme. For example it includes the records of Ferranti Helicopters Limited, formed 1970 and sold to Caledonian Airways in 1979 (the visitors/signing in book with Frank Sinartra's and Eartha Kitt's signature is in this section). It also includes accident report books, bound articles concerning the company, articles written by Ferranti employees and so on. A major part of this section is made up from the records of the Ferranti Archive (formed 1960 and closed 1990) including the correspondence files of the various Ferranti archivists. This section is probably the most unpredictable in its contents.

 

Box Numbers

 

BC1/A, BC1/B, BC1/C, BC1/D, BC1/E, BC1/F

 

BC2/A, BC2/B, BC2/C, BC2/D, BC2/E, BC3/A

 

BC3/B, BC3/H, BC4/B, CUP2/C, CUP2/D, CUP2/E

 

CUP2/F, CUP2/G, CUP2/H, CUP2/I, CUP2/J, CUP3/E

 

CUP3/F, CUP3/K, CUP4/D, CUP4/E, CUP4/F, CUP4/G

 

CUP4/J, CUP5/F, CUP5/H, CUP5/J, CUP5/L, CUP6/K

 

CUP8/B, CUP8/C, FC1, FC4, FC7, FC8/4

 

FC9, FC11, FC14, FC17, FC21, FC22

 

FC25, FC25/3, FC28, F5B/12, F5B/16, F7B

 

F8C, F11D, F11F, F14D, F15A, F15I

 

F16F, F16I, F17/11, F17A, F17B, F17L

 

F17N, F18I, F23B/2, F24B, F24C, F28B

 

F29G, F29I, F32E, F32J, F32O, F35B

 

F35D, F35G, F36L/47, F37E, F42C, F47F

 

F48A/9, F48A/12, F48A/13, F48A/14, F49D, F49E

 

F49I, F49W, F50A, F54B/13, F62, F65A

 

F69O, F72A, FWY2, FWY12, FWY44, FWY45

Date: Late nineteenth century to late twentieth century
Held by: Museum of Science and Industry, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Extent: Approximately 700 boxes and one plan chest
Restriction on use:

The Museum owns the copyright of this collection

Administrative History:

1864 Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti born 9th April at Bold Street Liverpool

 

1881 Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti is employed as an assistant to the Chief Research Engineer at Siemens in London

 

1882 Sebastian leaves Siemens and Ferranti, Thompson and Ince Limited is formed to manufacture the alternator developed by Sebastian (note that this type of alternator was made under licence from Sir William Thomson (later Lord Kelvin) who had developed a similar alternator at the same time independently to Sebastian).

 

1883 Ferranti, Thompson and Ince Limited is wound up at the end of the year. Sebastian buys back his own patents and sets up in partnership with C. P. Sparks and others a new company called S. Z. de Ferranti

 

1887 Beginning in 1887 Sebastian acting as Engineer to the London Electric Supply Corporation Limited designs and builds the Deptford Generating Station, the world's first power station. In 1891 his contract is not renewed and Sebastian leaves LESCo

 

1889 S. Z. de Ferranti becomes a limited liability company becoming S. Z. de Ferranti Limited

 

1896 S. Z. de Ferranti Limited sets up the Hollinwood factory site in Oldham with production beginning in 1897

 

1901 Ferranti Limited is registered and acquires the whole undertakings and assets of S. Z. de Ferranti Limited

 

1903 Ferranti Limited runs into financial difficulties (largely through their steam engines and dynamos). At the instigation of the debenture stockholders the company goes into voluntary receivership

 

1905 A Scheme of Reconstruction is set up and Ferranti Limited is re-launched. However it is an entirely different company to that of 1901 and is confined to the manufacture of Switch Gear, Transformers and Instruments, with Sebastian taking a less active role in the running of the company

 

1912 The Domestic Appliance Department is formed

 

1913 Ferranti Electric Company of Canada Limited is founded

 

WW1 Ferranti Limited manufactures shells during 1915-18 and manufacture of domestic appliances and switchgear stops

 

1916 The first Canadian factory opens

 

1923 Audio Frequency Transformers production begins signalling Ferranti Limited's move into electronics

 

1924 Radio Components and Moving Coil Loudspeaker production begins

 

1926 Ferranti Electric Inc., New York is founded

 

1926 Electric Fire production begins again

 

1927 The Domestic Appliance Department is reformed

 

1929 Commercial Radio Receiver production begins

 

1935 The Moston Radio factory is opened

 

1937 The Domestic Appliance Department moves to Moston; TV production begins

 

1943 The Edinburgh factory is opened to manufacture Gyro Gun Sights signalling the beginning of the Scottish Group and Ferranti Limited's move into the Defence market

 

1949 The Computer Group is formed

 

1951 The worlds first commercially available computer is made and sold to Manchester University

 

1954 Guided Weapon research begins at Wythenshawe

 

1957 Ferranti Limited's Radio and T. V. interests are sold to E. K. Cole Limited

 

1957 The Distribution Transformers Department is formed

 

1958 The Domestic Appliance Department is closed down

 

1962 The Bloodhound Inquiry begins

 

1963 The Computer Department is sold to International Computers and Tabulators Limited

 

1967 The Distribution Transformers Department is closed down

 

1975 Ferranti Limited runs into financial difficulties and the Government, through the National Enterprise Board, injects £15 Million into the company in return for a 50% stake in the company and changes in the Board, including a new Managing Director and new Chief Executive. The Ferranti family become minority shareholders

 

1975 The Transformer Division is closed down

 

1976 Ferranti Engineering Limited is set up

 

1982 The National Enterprise Board sells it Ferranti shares on the stock exchange

 

1984 The Company is restructured into 5 operating divisions

 

1987 Ferranti plc merges with the American based company The International Signal & Control Group, the new company becoming Ferranti International PLC

 

1989 Discovery of the ISC fraud. Ferranti is defrauded of approx. £215 million on non-existent contacts and incorrect valuations

 

1994 Ferranti goes into final receivership in January after selling many of its divisions in an attempt to save itself. The company is effectively ended

 

Organisation of the collection

 

1996.10/1/ Board of Directors

 

Although it is an over simplification Ferranti Limited was essentially a family owned firm. The Ferranti family owned the majority of shares until the National Enterprise Board's intervention in 1975, following the company's financial problems, and the subsequent floatation of the company on the stock exchange (shares in Ferranti were first traded on the stock exchange in 1978). The Ferranti family consequently played a major role in the running of the company and, although throughout the company's history there were of course many directors, it is the Ferranti family who can be considered the most important and influential of those directors. The greater part of this section is made up from the correspondence of Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti and his son Sir Vincent Ziani de Ferranti.

 

Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti 1864-1930

 

Managing Director of Ferranti Limited (First Company) 1901-1905

 

Director of Ferranti Limited (New Company) 1905-1927

 

Chairman 1927-1930

 

(Andrew Tait Chairman 1905-1927, Vice-Chairman 1927-1953)

 

Sir Vincent Ziani de Ferranti 1895-1980

 

Manager of the Transformer Department 1921-1924

 

Director of Ferranti Limited 1924-1934

 

Chairman 1930-1963

 

Managing Director 1934-1958

 

Knighted 1948

 

Sebastian de Ferranti 1927-

 

Director of Ferranti Limited 1954-1958

 

Managing Director 1958-1975

 

Chairman 1963-1982

 

Basil de Ferranti 1930-1988

 

Chairman 1982-1988

 

Derek Alun-Jones

 

Managing Director 1975-1990

 

Chairman 1988-1990

 

Eugene Anderson

 

Chairman and Chief Executive 1990-1993

 

1996.10/2/ Finance & Control

 

As its name suggests the Finance & Control Department was responsible for the company's finances. Based at the company HQ at Hollinwood, and later at the new HQ at Gatley, the department dealt with the finance and audit records of the company, including ledgers and financial statements, as well as share and trading records etc. The department also included the company's Legal and Estates Departments. The Legal department dealt with trademarks, patents and any legal disputes which arose etc. The Estates department dealt with the property (buildings, factories) owned by the company, and kept copies of architectural plans and building maintenance files etc.

 

1996.10/3/ Strategic Services

 

This department, formerly known as Central Services, had company wide responsibilities but was based at the company HQ at Hollinwood and later at the new HQ at Gatley. The department dealt with employee recruitment, wages, training, pensions etc, commercial and R& D audits and Information Technology. However its major role was in Domestic and International Marketing and Publicity, producing advertisements, exhibitions, catalogues, brochures, leaflets, journals, newspapers, slide shows, films, videos etc. The department was also responsible for the photographs, used in publicity and marketing, with well over 10,000 examples surviving in the archive in a wide range of formats. This section is the largest in the Ferranti Archive.

 

Product Groups

 

1996.10/4/ Ferranti Defence Systems

 

The Ferranti Defence Systems Limited group was formed in 1984 out of the Scottish Group, and can trace its origins back to 1943. The Scottish Group was formed in that year with the establishment of a factory in Edinburgh, built especially for Ferranti Limited in only 111 days, and paid for by the Government. The factory made Gyro Gun Sights for aircraft. Ferranti bought this factory back from the Government in stages, by a process of converting rent into payments. This factory established Ferranti in Scotland and signalled the company's move into the Defence market. Ferranti expanded it operations in Scotland after the War, increasing the number of factories based in Edinburgh and establishing other sites in Dalkeith and Aberdeen. The group concentrated on producing electronic systems with military applications, but it also included industrial laser systems, fuel dispensing systems (for petrol stations) and offshore technologies. At its peak the Scottish Group employed over 6000 people making it the largest group outside the Manchester base. Based at Turnhouse Airport Edinburgh the Ferranti Flying Unit was attached to the Scottish Group, and was used to test many of the military systems produced by the group. In 1984 Ferranti went through a general restructuring with the Scottish Group being split into two sections: Ferranti Defence Systems Limited and Ferranti Industrial Electronics Limited (see below). As its name suggests the Defence Systems Group manufactured the military systems which were formerly made by the Scottish Group, including Radar Systems, Navigation Systems, Display Systems and Electro-Optic Systems. After the discovery of the fraud in 1989 the Defence Systems Group was sold to GEC as a subsidiary of GEC-Marconi in 1990.

 

Subsidiary Companies:

 

Ferranti Defense Systems Inc (purchased 1985)

 

Venus Scientific Inc (purchased 1985)

 

Ferranti Systems Singapore (Pte) Ltd

 

1996.10/5/ Ferranti Industrial Electronics

 

Ferranti Industrial Electronics Limited was formed in 1984 following the general divisional restructuring, which took place in that year. It was created out of the Scottish Group (see above) and manufactured the non-military systems which were formerly made by that group. The division was made up from the Industrial and Communication Systems Department, the Professional Components Department (making electrical components), Ferranti Infographics and the Offshore Industries Division. The division also included Flexible Laser Systems Limited which manufactured lasers for industrial use.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti GmbH Frankfurt Branch (formed 1972)

 

Autocourt (Fuel Dispensing System)

 

1996.10/6/ Ferranti Computer Systems Limited

 

Ferranti Computer Systems Limited can trace its history back to 1949 when the Computer Group was formed to develop and manufacture computers after working with Manchester University on the creation of the worlds first stored programme computer. The group developed and sold a range of systems which included the worlds first commercially available computers, the Mark 1 and Mark1*, as well as the Pegasus, Apollo and Orion models. In 1963 the group was sold to International Computers and Tabulators Limited, however the group continued in a different form as an amalgamation of the Digital Systems Department (formerly part the Industrial Electronics group of the Scottish Group) and the Automation Systems Department. This 'division' manufactured and sold computers systems, most notably the Argus, which were designed to control complicated industrial processes, such as production lines, power stations and air traffic control stations. The Computer Systems Department was formed from this 'division' in 1978 and was split into three operational divisions based on location and product; the Bracknell Division, the Wythenshawe Division and the Cheadle Division. Following the restructuring of 1984, the Computer Systems Department became Ferranti Computer Systems Limited.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti GmbH Wiesbaden Branch (formed 1972)

 

Ferranti Computer Systems NV

 

Ferranti Computer Systems (Australia) Pty Limited

 

Ferranti International Controls Corporation

 

1996.10/7/ Ferranti Electronics Limited

 

Ferranti Electronics Limited can trace its origin back to 1930 with the formation of an Electronics Department to manufacture electronic components, which at that time were being manufactured by the Instrument Department (see below). This department was closed down in 1940 only for it to reopen in 1941 as an offshoot of the Radio Department, again manufacturing electronic components. Among the products produced by the department were valves, semi-conductors and integrated circuits. In 1984 the department was reformed as Ferranti Electronics Limited and was made up from the Integrated Circuits Group, the Discrete Components Group and the Microwave Division. In 1987, with the exception of the Microwave Division and the Ceramic Seals Department (which stayed with Ferranti), Ferranti Electronics Limited was sold to Plessy.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti GmbH Munich Branch (formed 1972)

 

Ferranti California Inc

 

Ferranti Wheelock Microelectronics Limited

 

Interdesign Inc

 

1996.10/8/ Ferranti Instrumentation Limited

 

The Instrument Department goes back to 1905 and the Scheme of Reconstruction that created the 'New Company' in that year. The department manufactured a wide variety of products ranging from viscometers through to clip-on anometers and until 1921 the Transformer Department was included within the department. Throughout its life the department often acted as a test bed for new products developed by the company, e.g. electronics, before those products were transferred to other departments. From 1937-1970 the Fuse Department formed part of the Instrument Department and in 1955 the Aircraft Equipment Department was formed and added to the department. After the Radio Department closed down in 1958 the service section of that department was added to the Instrument Department. In 1974 a new Instrumentation Division was created incorporating the old Instrument Department, together with the Meter and Foundry Departments. In 1984 the Instrumentation Division was restructured becoming Ferranti Instrumentation Limited, incorporating the Weapons Equipment Department, the Aircraft Equipment Department, the Naval Department and Mitchell Hydraulics Division.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti Measurements Limited (1978-1985)

 

Ferranti GTE Limited, becoming in 1981 Ferranti Business Communications Limited

 

Ferranti Resin Limited

 

1996.10/9/ Power Division

 

Power Transformers were at the core of the early Ferranti companies and the division can trace its origins back to the 1880's. However the Transformer Division was not formed as a separate identity until 1921, up until that date the division had formed part of the Instrument Department (see above). In 1957 a Distribution Transformers Department was formed within the division but it was closed down again in 1967. In 1974 the Transformer Division ran into financial difficulties (this was the cause of the financial difficulties which led to the National Enterprise Board intervention) and the Division was shut down in 1975 with only a service and maintenance section maintained until 1980. In 1976 Ferranti Engineering Limited was set up selling Agricultural products.

 

Subsidiary Companies

 

Ferranti Container Handling Limited (set up in 1976)

 

1996.10/10/ Domestic Appliances

 

The Domestic Appliance Department was set up in 1912 and manufactured Electric Fires, Electric Cookers and Grills, the department also made a small number of electric irons and cooking utensils. The department stopped production at the outbreak of the First World War and was closed down in 1918 with the Electric Cooker and Grill interests sold to the Jackson Electric Stove Co. In 1926 Ferranti began once again to manufacture electric fires and in 1927 the Domestic Appliance Department was reformed to manufacture electric fires and domestic water heaters. In 1932 the department began to manufacture electric clocks. In 1937 the department moved to the Moston factory sight alongside the Radio Department and in the same year the department began to make Television Sets. During the Second World War the department switched to military production making a wide range of items including the 'Identification Friend or Foe' system. In 1957 the Radio and T. V. sections of the department were sold to E. K. Cole Limited, with the rest of the department shutting down in 1958.

 

1996.10/11/ Ferranti - Packard Limited (Canada)

 

In 1913 Ferranti Limited set up a company in Canada to manufacture transformer and associated electrical equipment, and Ferranti Electric Co of Canada Limited, as it was known, opened its first factory in 1916. In 1954 Ferranti Limited purchased the Packard Electric Co Limited, based in Canada this company also produced transformers and associated electrical equipment (Packard Electric was founded by the same family that founded the Packard Car company). In 1958 the two companies were merged to form Ferranti-Packard Limited (Canada). Ferranti-Packard was sold in 1979 to N. E. I.

 

1996.10/12/ Ferranti Family Records

 

This section contains those records of the Ferranti family not immediately connected with the company. In the main it contains photocopy copies of the letter and note books of Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti (1864-1930) which were transferred to the family's personal archive at Henbury Hall in 1985. It also includes photographs of the Ferranti family, biographical notes, copies of portraits of the family and articles written about the family.

 

1996.10/13/ Miscellaneous Records

 

This section contains all those records which relate to the company but which do not fit the above scheme. For example it includes the records of Ferranti Helicopters Limited, formed 1970 and sold to Caledonian Airways in 1979 (the visitors/signing in book with Frank Sinartra's and Eartha Kitt's signature is in this section). It also includes accident report books, bound articles concerning the company, articles written by Ferranti employees and so on. A major part of this section is made up from the records of the Ferranti Archive (formed 1960 and closed 1990) including the correspondence files of the various Ferranti archivists. This section is probably the most unpredictable in its contents.

Creator Names:
  • Ferranti Group of Companies
  • Ferranti Ltd, electrical engineers
Immediate Source Of Acquisition:
  • Collection held by the Ferranti group of companies until the receivers for the Ferranti group passed it to the Museum of Science and Industry in 1995.

Conditions of access:

There are no restrictions on access.

Related Material:
  • Various books within the Museum's library, catalogues held in the Trade Literature Collection MS Papers 0686.

     

    The Ferranti family papers still held privately by the Ferranti Family.

Sharing will require cookies. Show details

Found an error?

If you find an error with this record description let us know

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion