RECORDS OF THE LITTLEMORE ASYLUM
|Title:||RECORDS OF THE LITTLEMORE ASYLUM|
The records themselves can be split into 3 parts:
- The administrative records of the Committee of Visitors including minute books, reports and correspendence
- The financial records of the different accounts of the Asylum
- Various plans and specifications of building work in the Asylum
Other records concerning Littlemore Asylum are kept in the following repositories:Town Hall:: Lists of lunatics 1847-1866; Death notices 1847-1853; Correspondence of the Town Clerk re joining the Union; Printed acts. Littlemore Hospital:: Admission and discharge records 1846-197; Clinical and patient records 1846-1986; Nursing records 1978-1985; Financial records 1930-1967; Administrative records 1882-1982; Pictorial records 1941. Linnell and Murphy, solicitors:: Correspondence and deeds re the purchase of land for the Asylum; Insurance policies; Title deeds.
|Date:||1841 - 1948|
|Held by:||Oxfordshire History Centre, not available at The National Archives|
|Extent:||125 volumes, bundles and plans|
The earliest records in this collection are those which belonged to J M Davenport, the first Clerk to the Committee of Visitors. This were originally deposited in the Bodleian Library but were transferred to Oxfordshire Archives in 1968. (Acc.742). The remainder of the collection has its provenance in County Hall; many of the financial records were deposited by the office of the County Treasurer and the records of the Committee of Visitors were probably held in the office of the Clerk to the Council as he often doubled up as Clerk to the Committee of Visitors. These would have been transfered to the Record Office when the National Health Service took over the running of the asylum in 1948.
Littlemore Asylum opened in 1846 and was the first provision for pauper lunatics in the county. It was originally under the jurisdiction of the magistrates of the Oxfordshire Quarter Sessions and later of the County Council. The City of Oxford formed a Union with the County in December 1846 agreeing to pay a share of the cost of building and maintaining the asylum in return for a fixed number of beds for their own lunatics. Berkshire joined this Union in August 1847, bringing with it the boroughs of Abingdon and Windsor and Reading also joined in January 1848. These additions to the Union necessitated additions to the buildings themselves and two new wings were built in 1848. The Union however was dissolved in 1869 when Reading wholly withdrew and Berkshire partly withdrew as their own Berkshire Asylum opened in 1870. Abingdon withdrew from the new Union in 1890 and Windsor in 1897. The loss in partners though did not lessen the pressure for new beds; there were extensions in 1883 and 1901. During the First World War the Asylum was transformed from May 1918-Aug 1920 into the Ashurst War Hospital, and in the Second World War the military took over some of the wards. The asylum (called The Oxford County and City Mental Hospital from 1922) was transferred to the control of the National Health Service in 1948.
N.B. Where the term "Union" is used in this catalogue it refers to the Union of those participating counties and boroughs who shared the cost of maintaining the asylum and who sent their pauper lunatics to it.
|Conditions of access:||
H1/CV3/CO/2 is closed to public inspection until 2047
|Link to NRA Record:|