Records of the International Line Steamship Company Ltd
|Title:||Records of the International Line Steamship Company Ltd|
This collection comprises
Shareholders' register giving names and addresses of shareholders and the nature of their shareholding late 19th century-early 20th century.
Steamers' Movement Books
Two movement books giving daily positions of, and remarks on, the Company's fleet, including details of sales and losses 1895-1917. The ships covered are the SS Maud Hartmann, SS Germania, SS Northumbria, SS Cambria, SS Hibernia, SS Sarmatia, SS Caledonia, SS Golden Cross; SS Cape Colonia, SS Valentia, SS Phoenicia, SS Pretoria, SS Corinthia, SS Cilicia, SS Leucadia, SS Etolia, SS Florentia, SS Thessalia and the SS Nuceria, the second of these volumes includes details of vessels under Admiralty charter during the First World War and of wartime loses.
Three registers giving crew lists, ratings, dates of service, wages paid and remarks on discharge 1890-1917. The ships covered are the SS Maud Hartmann, SS Pretoria, SS Germania, SS Northumbria, SS Cambria, SS Sarmatia, SS Thracia, SS Golden Cross, SS Cape Colonna, SS Valentia, SS Phoenicia, SS Corinthia, SS Hibernia, SS Caledonia, SS Pretoria, SS Cilicia, SS Leucadia, SS Etolia, SS Florentia, SS Thessalia and the SS Nuceria. These volumes includes an insert relating to new Board of Trade safety regulations following the Titanic disaster and inserts relating to agreements with unions on wage rates. Apprenticeship Book giving addresses, when bound, terms, wages, details of sea service, medical certificates and other remarks 1913-1917.
|Held by:||Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society, not available at The National Archives|
The company of Ward & Holzaphel was established in about 1880 owning their ships on the 64 shares basis and in 1883 was incorporated as a limited company under the name the International Steamship Company Ltd. In 1884, in financial difficulties, a shareholders' committee agreed to transfer management of the company to Christopher Marwood of Whitby, who remained manager until his death in 1914. The loss of three of the firm's major vessels in 1917 hit the company badly and the remaining ships were sold to the BJ Sutherland & Company of Newcastle, the company being dissolved.
This collection was deposited in September 1956 by Major M B Marwood of Welburn Hall, Malton.
|Link to NRA Record:|