DIOCESE OF SOUTHWARK
|Title:||DIOCESE OF SOUTHWARK|
The collection relates to the area of London covered by the Diocese of Southwark, south of the River Thames dating mainly from 1905 and provides a wealth of information on church architecture and fixtures, sources for marriages and clergy (of particular use for family history), and the morals and conduct of clergy and their parishioners. Some records date from when parishes were under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Winchester (before 1877) and the Diocese of Rochester (1877 - 1904).
The records of Southwark Diocesan Registry include the following: grants of faculties relating to church buildings and fittings with a large number of coloured drawings and plans of churches, monuments, stained glass designs and other fittings (1905 - 2000); consecration and dedication papers including petitions and plans relating to new churches and burial grounds (1905 - 1976); ordinations and appointments of clergy (1878 - 1974); records relating to marriages including lists of marriage licences granted to couples intending to marry in churches within the Diocese of Rochester and Southwark (1877 - 1910, 1940 - 1958) and marriage warrants and affidavits recording the declarations made by parties intending to marry by licence (1905 - 1974). The collection includes records relating to visitations, the process by which the bishop maintained faith and discipline, and corrected clerical and lay abuses, including lists of churchwardens (1924 - 1956), visitation returns (1907 - 1956) and presentment reports submitted by churchwardens on the state of church buildings and the conduct of clergy and parishioners in the parish (1905 - 1974).
The collection also contains minutes and property deeds from the Rochester and Southwark Diocesan Church Trust (1817 - 1966) relating to the College of Saint Saviour, Saint Olave, Southwark and All Saints, North Peckham, including correspondence relating to the removal of remains from the Flemish Burial Ground, adjacent to Saint Olave in 1842 (reference DS/CT); and minutes and related papers of Rural Deaneries of Dulwich, and Newington and Southwark (1869 - 1990) (reference DS/DRD).
|Held by:||London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives|
The records are arranged as follows:
DS/A Diocesan Associations
DS/AB Assignation Books
DS/CP Consecration and dedication of churches
DS/CT Rochester and Southwark Diocesan Church Trust
DS/DRD Rural Deaneries
DS/F Faculty Papers
DS/FO General Faculties
DS/FR Faculty Registers
DS/L General Correspondence
DS/LR Registry Correspondence
DS/LS Secretarial Correspondence
DS/MB Marriage Licences
DS/MC Calendar of Marriage Licences
DS/MP Marriage Warrants and Affidavits
DS/OB Muniment Books
DS/OC Orders in Council
DS/OP Office Papers
DS/R Registry Documentation
DS/VB Visitation Books
DS/VP Visitation Papers
DS/VR Visitation Call Books
|Extent:||240.75 linear feet|
|Restriction on use:||
Copyright to these records rests with the Diocesan Registry.
Future additions from the Diocesan Registry are expected.
The Diocese of Southwark was formed in 1905 and lies in the Church of England Province of Canterbury. The Diocese has jurisdiction over 317 square miles of London south of the River Thames, formerly in the ancient counties of Kent and Surrey, areas which had been in the Diocese of Rochester and vast Diocese of Winchester. In 2003 the Diocese was serving a population of 2,358,000 in 302 parishes. It includes:
Parishes in the ancient county of Surrey, forming the Parliamentary Divisions of east and mid Surrey, which had been transferred from the Archdeaconry of Surrey in the Diocese of Winchester, to the Diocese of Rochester in 1878;
Parishes in the ancient county of Kent which had been transferred to the Diocese of London in 1846 and returned back to the Diocese of Rochester in 1867, namely Charlton, Lee, Lewisham, Greenwich, Woolwich, Eltham, Plumstead and Deptford;
Parishes in the former Deanery of Croydon which were peculiars of the Archbishop of Canterbury, namely Barnes, Bunstow, Charlwood, Cheam, East Horsley, Merstham, Mortlake, Newington, Putney and Wimbledon. The peculiars were parishes or places which were formerly exempt from the jurisdiction of the bishop in whose diocese they were physically located, and were answerable directly to the Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1846, Newington, Barnes, Putney, Mortlake and Wimbledon had ceased to be peculiars and became part of the Diocese of London, and in the same year the remaining peculiars of Addington and Croydon were transferred permanently to the Diocese of Canterbury.
In 1927, the Diocese of Guildford was formed from parishes in the ancient county of Surrey remaining in the Archdeaconry of Surrey in the Diocese of Winchester and a few Hampshire parishes.
In the late nineteenth century, the cathedral church at Winchester could not respond to the needs of the rapidly increasing populations in South London experiencing poor living and working conditions. Although the area had been transferred to the Diocese of Rochester in 1878, Anthony Thorold, Bishop of Rochester was determined that the religious life of South London would have its own firm identity. As a result, a Suffragan Bishop of Southwark was appointed in 1891 and the ancient parish church of Saint Saviours, Southwark was restored to become the pro-Cathedral in 1897. In 1904 an Act of Parliament created the new Diocese of Southwark and in 1905 the church became Southwark Cathedral (also known as the Cathedral and Collegiate Church of Saint Saviour and Saint Mary Overie).
Edward Stuart Talbot, the 100th Bishop of Rochester, was enthroned as the first Bishop of Southwark. The bishop was faced with the challenge of building up the Church over the South London with a population of nearly two million inhabitants and great social disparities from the prosperous villages of Reigate or Kew and Edwardian suburbs to appallingly overcrowded tenements of inner London.
In 2003 the mission of the Diocese was:
to 'pray for the renewing power and love of the Holy Spirit in our worship, work and witness';
to 'seek the rule of God in our lives, our church, our communities, the life of the earth and the whole of creation';
to 'Share the Faith - proclaiming the Good News, teaching and nurturing new believers, making disciples and equipping them for service';
to 'Search for Truth - open to God's Word, exploring God's activity in different contexts and cultures';
to 'Serve our Neighbour - responding to human need by loving service and by confronting the unjust structures of society; and
Follow Jesus - in his suffering love for the salvation of all people.
In 2003, the Diocese of Southwark was divided into three Episcopal Areas each with a Suffragan Bishop and two Archdeacons:
Croydon Episcopal Area:
Bishop of Croydon
Archdeacon of Croydon
Archdeacon of Reigate
Kingston Episcopal Area:
Bishop of Kingston
Archdeacon of Lambeth
Archdeacon of Wandsworth
Woolwich Episcopal Area:
Bishop of Woolwich
Archdeacon of Lewisham
Archdeacon of Southwark
The Diocese of Southwark was twinned with three Anglican Dioceses in Zimbabwe (2003).
Bishops of Southwark (1905 - 2003)
1905 Edward Stuart Talbot
1911 Hubert Murray Burge
1919 Cyril Foster Garbett
1932 Richard Godfrey Parsons
1942 Bertram Fitzgerald Simpson
1959 Arthur Mervyn Stockwood
1980 Ronald Oliver Bowlby
1991 Robert Kerr Williamson
1998 Thomas Frederick Butler
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
|Conditions of access:||
The records in this collection are open to public inspection although some records are subject to closure periods. Please also note that some records in this collection are currently uncatalogued as of August 2003. Please contact the London Metropolitan Archives for further information.
|Link to NRA Record:|