Catalogue of the TURVILE CONSTABLE - MAXWELL MANUSCRIPTS
|Title:||Catalogue of the TURVILE CONSTABLE - MAXWELL MANUSCRIPTS|
The papers and documents here listed may be divided into five principal sections: (i) Personal correspondence: (ii) estate papers for (a) the family's Leicestershire estates (Husbands Bosworth), (b) Oxfordshire estates (Idbury) and (c) properties elsewhere; (iii) Legal and financial papers; (iv) religious tracts, books and papers relating to recusancy and (v) other papers.
(i) Correspondence. Correspondence forms the core of the collection and although the earliest letter is 1632 and the latest 1933, the bulk of the correspondence relates to Francis Fortescue Turville for the period 1760-1832. From 1784 to April 1789 F. F. Turville lived in France and there are many letters to and from France and those from his friends and connections in France which were written after his return and settlement in Husbands Bosworth refer to events in France during the Revolution and under Napoleon Bonoparte; letters from his son George Turville, written from his military base at Dover Castle, describe preparations against invasion in 1804; others relate to the Catholic Relief Act 1791; the education of F. F. Turville's children in the newly-established Catholic colleges of St. Edmunds, Old Hall Green, Herts. and Ushaw, Durham and its predecessors, Crook Hall and Tudhoe Academy, Durham, set up in the wake of the latter Act; the appointment of Catholic chaplains to Husbands Bosworth and personal family matters as well as some letters (1789) from Joseph Bonomi, architect, for new buildings at the Hall at Bosworth which were made for F. F. Turville's return from France.
(ii) Estate Papers. (a) Leicestershire (Husbands Bosworth estate). In addition to deeds, 1500-1904, valuations, surveys, rentals, accounts, 1684-1839, and estate agents correspondence, 1764-1858, there are manorial records from the fourteenth to the 19th century. Although in each instance none of the series is complete, there are court rolls, 1300-1829, accounts and fines 1320-1820, which include the fining of 89 men in 1620 "for not shooting according to the statute"; rentals, 1580-1838, and various manorial court papers, 1615-1820.
(b) Oxfordshire (Idbury estate). Deeds, valuations, rentals, surveys, accounts, 1459-1836. Map of Idbury, 1799. Manorial court rolls for the 17th century and correspondence of the estate agents, 1701-1858.
(c) Other properties:- deeds, including deed for Chipping Campden, 1377, and agents' correspondence.
(iii) Legal and Financial papers. These include letters, accounts and memoranda relating to the family's estates, testamentory business, and payments of legacies, 1650-1859; suits in Chancery, 1671-1755 and miscellaneous matters, 1691-1836.
(iv) Religious tracts, books and papers re recusancy.
In the Library at Bosworth Hall there is a number of religious treatises and devotional books of the 16th and 17th centuries which have been added to this section for the sake of completeness. They include a Book of Hours reported to have been used by Blessed Adrian Fortescue, beheaded for his faith in 1539; a ms. treatise on the saying and singing of Divine Service (15th or early 16th century); the Spiritual letters of Yves, Bishop of Chartres, 1585; a ms. book for Holy Week, late 17th century. Also in this section Recusancy roll quittances, 1612-1682 and draft returns of the Fortescue estates under the Papist estates registration act, 1717.
(v) Other papers. These include miscellaneous items such as notes and papers on the family history and pedigrees, military appointments and two ms volumes of abstracts of accounts of Sir John Fortescue, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, 1600-1604.
|Date:||1300 - 1963|
|Held by:||Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, Record Office for, not available at The National Archives|
TITLE DEEDS Numbers
Leicestershire: Husbands Bosworth DG39/1 - 341
Leicestershire: various DG39/342 - 355
Oxfordshire: Idbury DG39/356 - 570
Oxfordshire: various DG39/371 - 581
Other counties DG39/582 - 632
Husbands Bosworth DG39/633 - 697
Idbury DG39/698 - 704
Estate agents' correspondence DG39/705 - 816
Valuations and sale particulars DG39/817 - 835
Rentals DG39/836 - 842
Accounts DG39/843 - 884
Terriers, maps and surveys DG39/885 - 905
WILLS AND SETTLEMENTS DG39/906 - 941
LEGAL AND FINANCIAL
Solicitors correspondence DG39/942 - 1041
Chancery cases DG39/1042 - 1069
Trusteeship papers DG39/1070 - 1083
Bank statements DG39/1084 - 1087
PERSONAL CORRESPONDENCE DG39/1088 - 2021
FAMILY HISTORY DG39/2022 - 2039
MILITARY RECORDS, COMMISSIONS ETC. DG39/2040 - 2053
TRACTS AND RECORDS RELATING TO THE REFORMATION AND TO RECUSANT HISTORY DG39/2054 - 2081
MISCELLANEA DG39/2082 - 2158
The Hall at Husbands Bosworth, a village in the south of Leicestershire close to the border of Northamptonshire, is the seat of the Turville Constable Maxwell family and it has been a centre of Catholic influence in the county since the early 17th century. Through interconnections between the old Catholic families of Fortescue, Turville and Talbot, the estate descended in 1941 to Mrs. Turville Constable Maxwell, a descendant of the Talbot-Petre families. The connection between Husbands Bosworth and the Fortescues dates from the purchase of the manor and estate in 1630 by Lady Grace Fortescue, daughter of Sir John Manners of Haddon Hall, Derbyshire, and widow of Sir Francis Fortescue of Salden, Bucks., and its subsequent settlement on William Fortescue, the second son of Sir Francis and Grace Fortescue, and his wife Anne. In 1763 on the death of Maria Alethea Fortescue, daughter of Charles Fortescue and his wife Elizabeth Loggan of Idbury, Oxon, the Husbands Bosworth estate and the Idbury estates, which were inherited through her mother, passed to her cousin, Francis Fortescue Turville, who was a great grandson of William Turville of Aston Flamville (died 1703) and his wife, Frances, who was sister of the aforesaid Charles Fortescue. Francis Fortescue Turville married in 1780 the Hon. Barbara Talbot, sister of the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury. Their grandson, Sir Francis Charles Fortescue Turville, who died without issue in 1889, devised the Husbands Bosworth estate to Oswald Henry Petre, who was a grandson of Henry Edward Petre and his wife, Lady Gwendoline Talbot, sister of the 17th Earl of Shrewsbury. Oswald Henry Petre assumed the surname of Turville in 1907 and, in accordance with the terms of the will of 1889 of Sir Francis Charles Fortescue Turville, the estate passed in 1941 to his daughter, Mary Alethea, Mrs. Turville Constable Maxwell.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||