Peter Hoblyn of Colquite, St. Mabyn
|Title:||Peter Hoblyn of Colquite, St. Mabyn|
Records of the Colquite estate
The deeds in this calendar concern some of the properties of the Hoblyn family in Cornwall acquired from 1655 onwards: the manors of Colquite, Bodmin - Francis and Reeds; Penhargard in Helland and smaller properties elsewhere in Cornwall and in Plymouth acquired during the 18th century. Porthcothan in St. Merryn was the inheritance of John Peter of Harlyn (d.1733). His grandson, Samuel Peter married his cousin Sarah Hoblyn in 1747 (see sketch pedigree)
After the deeds of title come the leases: in the main, leases for 99 years or 3 lives.
Deeds of the manor of Colquite, acquired in 1655
1583 - 1790
Various deeds of the manors of Bodmin, Bodmin Francis and Reeds, acquired 1682-1705
1602 - 1704; 1805 - 1837
Deeds relating to Penhargard in Helland and manor of Parke in Egloshayle, acquired by 1694
1656 - 1807
Deeds relating to Porthcothan in St. Merryn
1695; 1777 - 1896
Deeds relating to properties in Plymouth including properties in possession of Edward Hoblyn in 1734 and 1754
1630 - 1772
Deeds relating to property in the parishes of Linkinhorne, North Hill and South Hill acquired by Deeble Peter in 1772
1719 - 1772
Deeds relating to Trevorrick in St. Merryn acquired in 1784 and 1793
1784 - 1838
Deeds of Carneglos in Altarnum and Trezebet and Shepherds Hill in Altarnun, St. Neot, St. Cleer and Blisland acquired in 1823 and 1832.
1684 - 1832
Miscellaneous Hoblyn deeds and settlements (including will of Deeble Peter of Colquite)
1595 - 1832
Miscellaneous deeds 1615 and 1722
Leases of Colquite including Helland Bridge
1586 - 1782
Leases of properties in Bodmin
1536/7 - 1810
Leases, Penhargard in Helland and manor of Parke (Egloshayle)
1703 - 1733
Various leases (Porthcothan, Tremollet in North Hill, Tregane farms, St. Wenn)
1659, 1695, 1769
Leases of properties in Plymouth
1632 - 1746
Papers relating to estate administration
1693 - 1907
Attorney's articles and admissions of attorney
Plymouth election indenture 1744
|Held by:||Cornwall Record Office, not available at The National Archives|
The detailed (and complicated) descent of the manor of Colquite is printed in Sir John Maclean's History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, ii (1876), 475-484. At the time of the Domesday Survey it belonged to Robert Count of Mortain and was held under him by Richard de Tracy. A Thomas de Tracy in the 13th century married Isolda, daughter of Andrew of Cardinham and when he died without heirs the lands were conveyed by his widow to the Dynham family who held the fees in chief for several centuries. The family of Sergaux held Colquite by military service from the Dynhams. At the partition of the Sergaux lands at the end of the 14th century the manor of Colquite went by marriage to the Marny family of Layer Marny in Essex. They held it until 1525 when the Marny estates were partitioned between two coheiresses. One of them married Thomas Howard, second son of Thomas third Duke of Norfolk, created (1559) Viscount Bindon. By an Act of Parliament in 1540 relating to the partition of Lord Marny's estates Colquite went to Thomas Howard and his wife and another Act of 1547 laid down that Thomas Howard, one of Viscount Bindon's sons, should enjoy Colquite for life on his father's death. An attempt was made to sell inter alia the manor of Colquite according to the terms of an Act of 1575 relating to the debts of Viscount Bindon and his son Henry, but a sufficient price could not be raised. Consequently after Thomas Viscount Bindon's death in 1582 Colquite went to his son Thomas Howard according to the Act of 1547. Thomas' elder brother Henry succeeded to the title and at least as early as 1583 Thomas Howard agreed to convey to his brother the manor of Colquite (PH/1). On 28 March, 1587 he leased it to Henry lord Howard for two lives (PH/2), and on the following day ceded the manor to his brother for 89 years. Henry lord Howard agreed to stand seized of Colquite to the use of his son-in-law Arthur Gorges in 1589 (PH/3). Before his death in 1590 Henry lord Howard had assigned his interest to his son-in-law, who, after an earlier assignment, (PH/4) mortgaged the manor of Colquite to Thomas Harris, sergeant-at-law in 1594. This became absolute the same year (PH/6). Thomas Harris made a settlement of the manor in 1597 on his son's marriage (PH/7) and in 1603 conveyed it outright to his son Edward Harris (PH/8).
Edward Harris conveyed Colquite to Sir Henry Spiller in 1618 (PH/10) for the consideration of £2000 paid by Thomas Howard Earl of Suffolk, the kinsman and heir of the last Viscount Bindon who died in 1610. What the nature of the obligation between Thomas Earl of Suffolk and Sir Henry Spiller was is not known. As Maclean implies, it may not have been unconnected with a case in the Court of Wards in 1600, (Trigg Minor, ii, 482-483) but the conveyance to Sir Henry Spiller and Michael Humfries seems to have been a conveyance and not a trust. In 1619 Thomas Earl of Suffolk and his son themselves conveyed the manor of Colquite to Sir Richard Weston and Sir Henry Spiller (PH/14; Sir Richard Weston was granted a moiety of the manor by Michael Humfries, see PH/13). The subsequent fine (PH/15) cost Sir Richard Weston and Sir Henry Spiller £1600, a fact which suggests that Thomas Earl of Suffolk's interest was still considerable. There are some deeds missing here but it is evident that the manor of Colquite passed to Sir Henry Spiller and Sir Richard Weston (PH/16) and that Sir Richard Weston's interest was soon lost - perhaps by his death - to Sir Henry Spiller (The second party to PH/18 would appear to be the trustees of Sir Richard Weston, cf. Trigg Minor, ii, 483).
Sir Henry Spiller was dead before 3 June, 1650 (the date of PH/22) and did not die in 1653 as stated by Maclean (op. cit., 483). It is evident from PH/25 et seq. that he had been a royalist during the Civil War and died in debt owing to fines imposed on him as a delinquent. In 1653 his young son Henry Spiller conveyed the manor of Colquite (and other property in Worcs. and Glos.) to a trustee to stand seized of the same for the use of the person to whom it was leased (PH/27). The lessee was Edward Hoblyn of St. Columb Major, gent. who received a lease for 99 years or 3 lives of Colquite on 1 April, 1655 (PH/30). The manor was, as Maclean states (op. cit., 483), in process of some dismemberment. Trethevey in St. Kew was conveyed to Grace Barrett on 4 June, 1656 and at the same time a tenement in Tredethy in St. Mabyn, was also alienated (Maclean, loc. cit.) Again, on the same day the rest of the manor was conveyed to Edward Hoblyn by Henry Spiller and the trustees of Sir Henry Spiller's will for £600 (PH/35. For the lease in 1655 - PH/30 - Edward Hoblyn had paid a fine of £850), though to this is to be added the consideration paid by Edward Hoblyn and Grace Barrett for a fine, £1480 (PH/37-38). Also in 1656 (PH/39) the village of Helland Bridge, part of the manor of Colquite, was conveyed to Robert Hoblyn of Nanswhyden, Edward Hoblyn's brother (though a later conveyance of this in 1675 - PH/41 - could not be executed) and Edward Hoblyn made a grant of lands belonging to the Barton (PH/40). PH/42 would suggest that Robert Hoblyn's son the Reverend Robert Hoblyn (1658-1705) was concerned in the inheritance as well as his cousin Thomas Hoblyn (d.1719). Be that as it may - and the lack of deeds leave several problems unsolved - it is certain that Edward Hoblyn of Penhargard and Colquite, grand-son of the purchaser of Colquite in 1656, left only a daughter who married her cousin Samuel Peter of Porthcothan.
On Sarah Peter's death in 1803 Colquite was left to her second son Deeble Peter. On his death in 1836 Colquite went to his nephew, Deeble Peter, who, under the terms of his will, was required to assume the names and arms of Hoblyn. When he died unmarried in 1864 the manor went to his nephew John Harris Peter who again assumed the name and arms of Hoblyn and died in 1871. Colquite passed to his second son Cyril Onslow Peter-Hoblyn and on his death in 1896 to his brother H. G. Peter-Hoblyn (d.1956), the father of the present owner.
The deeds relating to the manor of Bodmin Francis add little to the dearth of information which appears in Maclean's Trigg Minor (i, 253). They are very far from a complete series and seem to include scattered deeds of more than one manor (e.g. PH/56 appears to related to Reeds Manor). It is clear from the recitals to PH/66, however, that between 1682 and 1705 the great-nephew of the purchaser of Colquite (Edward Hoblyn) had become possessed of 'the manors of Bodmin and Bodmin Francis and Reeds Manor.' His daughter, Sarah Peter in her widowhood in 1776 (see PH/65b and c) conveyed (inter alia) the manors of Bodmin and Bodmin Francis to trustees. They were to be sold for the settlement on the marriage of Sarah her only daughter to the Reverend Copplestone Radcliffe. It is clear that by 1805 parts of these manors (and of Reeds manor) had been sold (PH/66) and what remained was sold to Samuel Peter of Porthcothan in 1807 by the trustees of his father's will. (PH/70-71). Roseland in Bodmin sold by Samuel Peter in 1807 (PH/74-75) was re-purchased in 1819 by Deeble Peter of Colquite (PH/78-79) who also purchased a number of smaller properties in Bodmin between 1820 and his death in 1836 (see PH/81-88). See also Deeble Peter's will, PH/260).
The manors of Penhargard in Helland and Parke in Egloshayle, themselves members of the Domesday manors of Blisland and Hamatethy were in the possession of the family of Opie in 1560 and 1564 (See Trigg Minor, ii, 24 and i, 448. The grant of Parke was of a moiety of the manor. Maclean records the detailed descent of both manors). Thomas Hoblyn bought the two manors from Nicholas Opie in 1693 (PH/113-114). They were inherited by his son Edward Hoblyn whose daughter's marriage to Samuel Peter took them to that family. Samuel Peter in 1807 sold Parke to his son, Deeble Peter according to the trusts of PH/70-71. The barton of Penhargard had been sold by Samuel Peter in 1804 to John Hooper whose wife possessed this under her husband's will when Maclean wrote in 1876. (Trigg Minor, ii, 24). Maclean's account of Parke suggests it passed from the Hoblyns of Croan to the Tremaynes of Heligan in 1794 (Trigg Minor, i, 448, 473) but in view of PH/124-125 this cannot be correct. The confusion may have arisen from Maclean's statement that Edward Hoblyn (d.1688), the purchaser of Colquite levied a fine on Parke in 1700 and left it to his son of the same name. What happened to Parke is not entirely certain, it is not mentioned in Deeble Peter's will, so it may have been sold.
Maclean states that the barton of Parke (Trigg Minor, i, 437) belonged to the Molesworth family having been exchanged for Kestell with the Tremaynes of Croan. C. S. Gilbert Survey of Cornwall. ii. 618) writing in 1820 states that the manor of Parke then belonged to Sir A. O. Molesworth, Bt. Lysons evidence is much the same as Maclean's. A solution to the confusion may be, as has been stated, that at least as early as 1564 the manor lay in moieties.
Porthcothan in St. Merryn was the inheritance of John Peter of Harlyn and thus in the 19th century passed to the Peter-Hoblyns. The deeds give little information here except of encumbrances on this estate by Samuel Peter and his father redeemed by Deeble Peter. In his will (PH/248) Deeble Peter left Porthcothan to his nephew Thomas Peter for life.
The properties in Plymouth were acquired by Edward Hoblyn and Deeble Peter his grandson acquired the small properties in Altarnun, Linkinhorne and South Hill. Deeble Peter's brother Hoblyn Peter purchased Trevorrick in 1784 and 1793.
|Immediate Source Of Acquisition:||
Pedigree available at Cornwall Ro"
|Link to NRA Record:|