These records were deposited in the Chester City Record Office on 8 February 1960 by Miss Greenwood, Superintendent of the Chester and District Nursing Service.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Chester Benevolent Institution was a charity founded in 1798 to provide a midwifery service for poor married women in their own homes. The Institution moved into a home in Grosvenor Street given by the Duke of Westminster in 1899 and in 1904 was approved as a training school for midwives.
A general home nursing service, known as The Deaconesses' Institution began in the 1870s and became the Chester District Nursing Association in 1900 to nurse the sick poor in their own homes. The Association was based at 9 Water Tower Street until 1925 when the Benevolent Institution and the District Nursing Association amalgamated to form Chester Maternity Hospital and District Nursing Association and opened a maternity hospital at 16 Whitefriars.
The maternity hospital closed in October 1938 because ample provision for maternity cases had become available at the City Hospital and the building was sold to Chester Rural District Council. However, general nursing by the Association continued from the Nurses' Home at 7 Grosvenor Street until July 1948 when Chester Corporation took over the service.