Records deposited by the Administrative Officer, High Carley Hospital, on 20th June 1984.
Administrative / biographical background:
The hospital was established in 1884, under the Ulverston Board of Guardians, as a fever hospital for pauper patients; it dealt most frequently with cases of scarlet fever, typhoid fever and diphtheria. The Ulverston Joint Hospital Board was constituted in 1898, and ran the hospital until 1948. Lancashire County Council established a consumptive sanatorium on the North side of the hospital in 1916, and to avoid confusion, the Ulverston Joint Hospital Board changed the designation of the older institution from "The High Carley Sanatorium" to "The High Carley Infectious Hospital". Oubas House Children's Sanatorium was also controlled by Lancashire County Council. From 1948-1974, the hospital was administered by the Barrow and Furness Hospital Management Committee, and from 1974 by Cumbria Area Health Authority. It was scheduled for closure in 1984, with re-organisation following the building of the new Furness General Hospital.