Ship registration records of Port of Chester, 1836-1970, relating to Flintshire ships, including shipping registers and transaction registers, 1836-1913; declarations of ownership, builder's and surveyor's certificates and correspondence, 1846-1961; and miscellaneous Customs and Excise records relating to Flintshire, 1923-1970.
Arranged into the following groups: Group One, shipping registers; Group Two, Customs and Excise registration documents; and Group Three, miscellaneous registers.
Transferred under the Public Records Act, 1958, Section 4 (1), by H. M. Customs and Excise, Holywell, Clwyd, 1980; Deposited by H. M. Customs and Excise, North West Collection, Liverpool, 1999; and by H. M. Customs and Excise, Connah's Quay, Flintshire, 2000.
Selection and destruction information:
All records deposited at Flintshire Record Office have been retained.
Accruals are not expected
Port of Chester
Customs House, Connah's Quay
Dee River, Wales
Unpublished finding aids:
A hard copy of the catalogue is available in Flintshire Record Office.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Port of Chester is the point of registry for all shipping from Flintshire ports on the River Dee. The port was responsible for the registration of shipping and the collection of duties on imports. Shipping registers provide details about vessels including the owner, the master, changes of owner, and the eventual fate of the vessel.