Founded by William Arthur Norrish as the "Shaftsbury Street Boys Club", later the "Shaftsbury Club for Street Boys and Working Lads" (until 1914). Opened in January 1886 in rooms leased from the Chester Street Mission Sunday School; the club later moved to a former Baptist chapel in Jackson Street, and in 1911 to purpose-built premises between Jackson Street and Thomas Street. New club headquarters were opened in Mendip Road, Prenton, in 1971. The Official History is: "The Shafties" by C.L. Bibby (1974). The majority of the present records were deposited at the Merseyside County Archives in May 1978 (Acc. 1978-15, Class D/SB), but were transferred to the Wirral Archives Service in January 1987.