In addition to providing a valuable source for the early history of the hospital and its associations, the deeds contain much topographical information, particularly regarding the city of Salisbury. Most of the property described is situated in Brown Street (nos. 2, 11, 19, 21, 28, 33, 36, 39, 40, 41, 45, 75), Catherine Street (appearing variously as 'Karterstret', 'Carterstret', 'Carterestret', 'Carterstret', 'Carternstrete' (nos. 7, 50, 53, 57, 68), Culver Street (nos. 9, 14, 22, 24, 25, 38, 49, 66, 75), New Street (nos. 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 20, 21, 26, 31, 33, 35, 43), and Winchester Street (formerly Wyneman Street) (nos. 9, 11, 14, 17, 22, 38, 46, and 65).
Salisbury, 1299-1516 : Brown Street, Butcher Row, Catherine Street, Cordwainer Row, Crane Street, Culver Street, Endless Street, Gigant Street, Minster Street, New Street, 'Nhuggeston', 'Wylmanstret' or 'Wynemannestret' (now Winchester Street), and 'Wynchestrestret' (now Milford Street).
|Administrative / biographical background:
The hospital of the Holy Trinity is a medieval foundation, which escaped dissolution during the 16th century, and survives in its present form dating from the early 18th century, when it was rebuilt (VCH Wilts. iii.357-61). Its records include nearly 100 deeds relating chiefly to propertied interests in the city of Salisbury, Downton, London (parish of St. Michael Bassishaw), and Somerset (parishes of Babington, Haydon, and Mells) during the period 1299-1532. Among those calendared are the deed of second foundation of the hospital by John Chandler in 1396 (no. 42), two letters patent licensing alienation of land in mortmain for the hospital (nos. 47-8), and four wills (nos. 23, 30, 36, 66), the latter being included here, since in each case the testator devises real estate in accordance with the usual borough custom. Another custom is seen in the mayor of Salisbury's right of wardship and its disposal (no. 22). The principal source of the hospital's revenue comprised rents from its property in the city, most if not all of which appears to be described in the body of the present collection (nos. 1-77). Attempts were made to supplement this income in various ways, such as the acquisition of further property by royal licence, and in 1379 indulgence was promised by the archbishop of Canterbury, together with bishops in both provinces, to all in their dioceses granting assistance to the hospital (no. 45). In return the poor inmates were obliged to remember benefactors in their daily office (see also no. 42). Privileges granted later by bishops of Salisbury authorised the hospital to collect its own alms (VCH Wilts. iii.358), and a letter of attorney dated 1430 (no. 58) empowers a proctor acting on behalf of the foundation to search for aid per totam Angliam. Within forty years the sphere of this activity had been confined to the counties of Wiltshire, Berkshire, and Dorset (no. 73; see also no. 77).