Some of the records listed below were formerly listed in an unclassified catalogue as DRO90. The old reference numbers are given.
Church of England, Handsworth, St James' Parish, Birmingham
Immediate source of acquisition:
deposited by the Vicar and P.C.C. in 1986 and on 29 July 1992
Administrative / biographical background:
St. James Church, at the corner of Crocketts Road and St. James' Road, was erected in 1838-40 on a site given by John Crockett. The original church was designed by R. Ebbles and a chancel was added in 1878. The church was greatly enlarged in 1895 to designs by J.A. Chatwin.
A parish was designed out of St. Mary's, Handsworth in 1854, but parts of this were taken to form the parishes of St. Peter, Handsworth in 1907 and St. Andrew, Handsworth in 1914. The living had the status of a perpetual curacy until 1868 when it became a vicarage. The patronage was in the gift of the rector of St. Mary's until being transferred to the Bishop of Lichfield in 1892.
There were missions licensed for worship at the Boulton Road Board School, 1899-1903, Grove Lane Council School, 1904-06 and the church room, Crocketts Road, 1908-38. The Archbishop Benson Church Hall in Austin Road has been licensed since 1938.