Originally established as James A. Brown & Co., shipbrokers and coal and coke exporters, with registered offices at Bank Chambers, 15 Sandhill, Newcastle upon Tyne. This company was liquidated on 13 February 1936. On 19 January 1939, a new company was registered under the name James A. Brown & Co. (Newcastle) Ltd. and the business of the former company was assigned to the new one. This second company went into liquidation in 1957, but another of the same name was incorporated, taking over the assets, liabilities etc of the old one. This company was wound up on 21 October 1966.